Last of the 2013's

Status
Not open for further replies.

cdmay

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Somewhere in Florida
Only five eggs left in the incubator from 2013 but if this year is typical, just as the incubators empty out, new eggs will come along.

I checked the other day and this was going on...

The 'D' on the egg indicates that it is from my big female 'Darth Maul'.

This is the view this morning. Two other eggs from that clutch are popping now. In this photo you can see the incubation temperature on that old pool thermometer inside the incubator. As a side note, I have about four different thermometers in each incubator. The pool thermometer is one from work that was discarded so I thought I'd throw it in an incubator to see if it agreed with the others. Seems to be pretty accurate.

The hatchling was turned a bit for a better shot...

Closer...

Just for the heck of it this is Peggy, one of my red-cheek mud turtles who was peeking out from under her basking log. Been keeping and breeding this species of mud turtle since the early 80's.

Penn

5 Year Member
HAHA! Nice! I had thought your red foot had fallen into the water. Very nice photos, thanks for sharing.

gieseygirly

5 Year Member
Ohio
Love the pics. It's amazing how tight the eggshell appears to be wrapped around that baby!

shanu303

5 Year Member
India
really nice pics :) and such a cute little hatchling..

immayo

5 Year Member
Mesa, AZ
I love seeing pictures of babies hatching!
So cute:D

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sweet looking little red heads.

Sent from my C771 using TortForum mobile app

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
Very nice Carl ... looks like some outstanding red on them new little one's. 100% clutch hatch too? Looks like Perlite as your medium ? Do you find it performs better with less water log content and better oxygen exchange?

cdmay

10 Year Member!
Somewhere in Florida
N2TORTS said:
Very nice Carl ... looks like some outstanding red on them new little one's. 100% clutch hatch too? Looks like Perlite as your medium ? Do you find it performs better with less water log content and better oxygen exchange?

Thanks JD. Actually though only 4 out of 5 eggs hatched from that clutch. One was clearly a dud and went bad early on.
I think perlite and vermiculite work equally well. But the large grade vermiculite is better than the finer stuff I was using before. The small particle vermiculite does get sort of compacted and water logged and since that seems to be the only type at my local garden center I've just been using the perlite. The good thing about the perlite is that after a season in the incubators, I mix it in with my potting soil so I get double use out of it!

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
GMTA .....I too throw all the " tort medium" in the veggie garden. " was wondering why my last tomato tasted like mazuri?"
I started mixing the two as well ....as I fine it didn’t compact thus allowing more oxygen and wouldn’t get so water logged...if I needed to add water. This new bator I have is very efficient , with maintaining a good humidity factor by using a " wick" type system.

allegraf

10 Year Member!
That is a great looking baby! The mud turtle is adorable too.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Lookin' like a fine hatchling coming out! :( Carl, when and if you ever get a chance, could you do a thread on your muds? I had muds a long time ago and really enjoyed theM. I have never gotten to really see red-cheeks, but Peggy seems to be a stunning animal. I would really like to see the rest of her and others, please.

skottip

10 Year Member!
Florida
One of the great things about breeding tortoises! They are either breeding, laying or hatching.
Year round action!

hlim18

5 Year Member
HCMC Vietnam
Wow your hatchling has really cool dark redish coloration and also nice mud turtle.

DixieParadise

5 Year Member
Georgetown, TX
Carl you and Allegra get the best colors from your hatchlings. These look nice...thanks for the pictures

Status
Not open for further replies.