Loss of Power

missjmg19

Location (City and/or State)
Mid-Atlantic USA
To be honest to you, I do not know. A member here told me that torts do not necessarily have to hibernate.
Could it be the relatively high temperature at home? Am guessing here, ok?

Yes, I have heard same thing. My friend who has one said hers does not hibernate either. It also lives indoors for regular enclosure and goes outside for walks and play time!

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
It is not a necessity but during cold months it's hard to keep tortie active and eating. It's natural, in the wild they are active only few warm months and if you ever consider having hatchlings you have to have in mind their hormones and their rythem. For healthy tort and knowledgeable owner it's 99,999% safe.
I see what you mean, but he just will NOT hibernate any more.:rolleyes:

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
South of Southern California, but not Mexico
Is this about one tortoise, or a animal room, winter housing for a large outdoor tortoise? What area are you trying to heat. The generator idea covers the range of possibilities. House hold size batteries are getting more affordable as well.

missjmg19

Mid-Atlantic USA
Is this about one tortoise, or a animal room, winter housing for a large outdoor tortoise? What area are you trying to heat. The generator idea covers the range of possibilities. House hold size batteries are getting more affordable as well.

Was just a generic question since we sometimes lose electricity for various reasons. Wasn't sure what to have on hand to make sure tortoise (and geckos) stay as warm as needed. We get a lot of snow in winter so it's not like I can wait to see if it happens. Want to have stuff on hand so we are prepared....and then home we don't need it!

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
Last winter we had a power outage and I found that I could keep the 3 gallon Rubbermaid roughneck tote into the low 80s with hand warmer as long as the lid was on. I use the same container to take a tortoise to the vet. in the winter. I use a microwavable heat disc and wrap it in a towel and put it under some dry substrate in the tote.

missjmg19

Mid-Atlantic USA
Last winter we had a power outage and I found that I could keep the 3 gallon Rubbermaid roughneck tote into the low 80s with hand warmer as long as the lid was on. I use the same container to take a tortoise to the vet. in the winter. I use a microwavable heat disc and wrap it in a towel and put it under some dry substrate in the tote.

I have been looking for a roughneck tub that size. Will check Amazon. Thank you!

Melanie S.

This hasn't been suggested yet, and I don't know what more experienced owners think of it, but I bought a power strip type deal with a battery backup. It was around $80 online, and three of the seven plugs stay on for a total of 8 hours if power goes out. So I've got my uvb ans ceramic lights hooked up to that for my tortoise and my bearded dragon. The only problem I've had with it is if you overload it, there is an awful lot of beeping that disturbed my guys, but that's entirely on me. Hope this helps!

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
Hope this helps!
I would have to guess the "overload" you're referring to would also effect the battery life as well. That said, I like the idea much. I have a generator that puts out 10,000 watts from a 26 hp motor, but it needed, I'd use hot water bottles. Water heaters hold lots of hot water especially if well insulated. Covered with corrugated cardboard to protect it from digging claws. Use an ice chest from a yard sale, good to go.

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth
This hasn't been suggested yet, and I don't know what more experienced owners think of it, but I bought a power strip type deal with a battery backup. It was around $80 online, and three of the seven plugs stay on for a total of 8 hours if power goes out. So I've got my uvb ans ceramic lights hooked up to that for my tortoise and my bearded dragon. The only problem I've had with it is if you overload it, there is an awful lot of beeping that disturbed my guys, but that's entirely on me. Hope this helps!

Are you sure the beeping isn't by design to let you know that you're on battery power? I think that's fairly common.

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
Are you sure the beeping isn't by design to let you know that you're on battery power? I think that's fairly common.
Or maybe that an overload is taking place that could lead to household damage,(fire, short)?
Bob Read the manual for device or look on the World wide Internet Machine. Let us know…

Melanie S.

It beeps once if the plug looses power, i checked that when I bought it. I think the incessant beeping is protecting from an overload as cowboy ken stated. I just had to move one of my plugs to a different outlet in the room and all was well! It wasn't a serious problem, it just made my reptiles quite cranky, they're not accustomed to having very much noise in their reptile room.