Mega Ray bulb's

Status
Not open for further replies.

coreyc

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Massachusetts
ISTortoiseLover said:
All of ours are new from germany as well. And it's been shite. So let's see how yours would fair.

When did you get yours ?whats wrong with it?

coreyc

10 Year Member!
Massachusetts
ISTortoiseLover said:
Got it last mth. Burnt on the third day.

If you got it last month it probably was not from the shipment from Germany that one just came in last week they should be going out this week still waiting on mine:)

ISTortoiseLover

10 Year Member!
I was told by Jimmy that its a new shipment from Germany. Either ways, wouldnt recommend anyone buying their products this year.

earthyman71

5 Year Member
Columbus, Ohio
good news in terms of the shipping end of things - my mega rays came today! will keep all posted re: performance.

delpiero

5 Year Member
I tried email them 3 times to ask if they have stocks, but they never replied.

soundwave

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Calgary, Alberta CANADA
earthyman71 said:
i would give them a call - it seemed to be easier to reach them that way than via email.

I'm having issues with their services too. I ordered three MVB from them on Feb. 2,2011. They email me a tracking number with UPS but UPS tracking states the package has not been pick up from ReptileUV.

I have sent numerous emails (6 to be exact) to Bob but have not received any replies.

I'm frustrated with the company have filed a Paypal complaint and request for refund.

coreyc

10 Year Member!
Massachusetts
Got my third bulb in today lets see if this one will last more than a week:p

S

sanctumbarbosa

This Phospor is what is beleived to be responsible for the issue.. as I understand it , it's something to do with how the UVB is emitted from the bulb, its coming out at a lower frequency wavelength, which approaches the UVC spectrum.. UVC is the spectrum that causes sunburn, skin cancer... etc.. its the bad part of the sun .. in the event you follow...

coreyc

10 Year Member!
Massachusetts
sanctumbarbosa said:
This Phospor is what is beleived to be responsible for the issue.. as I understand it , it's something to do with how the UVB is emitted from the bulb, its coming out at a lower frequency wavelength, which approaches the UVC spectrum.. UVC is the spectrum that causes sunburn, skin cancer... etc.. its the bad part of the sun .. in the event you follow...

WHAT WHAT:D

Mean Guy

5 Year Member
I just got the Mega Ray a couple of days ago and am worried about the heat output. At the recommended 18 inches I am seeing very little heat reach the sub. Mega Ray is supposed to be Da Bomb Diggity when it comes to reptile lighting. In order to see any heat I have to lower it to about 8 inches. This has got to be dangerous, am I right?

Seiryu

10 Year Member!
SE Michigan
Mean Guy said:
I just got the Mega Ray a couple of days ago and am worried about the heat output. At the recommended 18 inches I am seeing very little heat reach the sub. Mega Ray is supposed to be Da Bomb Diggity when it comes to reptile lighting. In order to see any heat I have to lower it to about 8 inches. This has got to be dangerous, am I right?

I'm not sure about the new MegaRays. But as far as I knew, MVBs at 12" or more are safe. So you can safely go as close as 12". 8" is too close.

You either need a higher wattage bulb, or increase your ambient room temperature so it's the right temp at 12".

Mean Guy

5 Year Member
Seiryu said:
I'm not sure about the new MegaRays. But as far as I knew, MVBs at 12" or more are safe. So you can safely go as close as 12". 8" is too close.

You either need a higher wattage bulb, or increase your ambient room temperature so it's the right temp at 12".
It is a 100 watt bulb and I really cannot increase the ambient temp without making it very uncomfortable for us. I have a heat lamp that I will use as well and thanks for the info on the hight. I have so much to learn.:(

Seiryu

10 Year Member!
SE Michigan
Mean Guy said:
It is a 100 watt bulb and I really cannot increase the ambient temp without making it very uncomfortable for us. I have a heat lamp that I will use as well and thanks for the info on the hight. I have so much to learn.:(

No problem. Well, now you know to get the 160 watt bulb next time haha!

coreyc

10 Year Member!
Massachusetts
Where did you get 18 inches from? I just got one to my box says 30 CM /12 inches move it down to 12 see what temp you get

Seiryu

10 Year Member!
SE Michigan
coreyc said:
Where did you get 18 inches from? I just got one to my box says 30 CM /12 inches move it down to 12 see what temp you get

He already lowered it to even 8" to get the correct basking spot which is too close anyways.

My only guess is the ambient room temperature is very cool (65-68) which is too cold for a tortoise anyways.

Mao Senpai

5 Year Member
North Carolina
I finally got mine.... about two weeks ago. After like 8 emails :p
Not sure about the uv output on these.... I'm at the mercy of them saying it's good.

coreyc

10 Year Member!
Massachusetts
Mean Guy said:
Seiryu said:

What are you using to measure your temp ? do you have a temp gun?

Mean Guy

5 Year Member
Seiryu said:
No problem. Well, now you know to get the 160 watt bulb next time haha!

If I can get one considering the posts. It only took 4 days for it to get to me and i don't want to jinx it. ;)

coreyc said:

From the site it recommended 18 inches, but you could go as low as 12.

Seiryu said:
He already lowered it to even 8" to get the correct basking spot which is too close anyways.

My only guess is the ambient room temperature is very cool (65-68) which is too cold for a tortoise anyways.

My mistake for the misunderstanding. I said 8 inches to get the right temps, not that I had it at 8. I actually have it at 12.

coreyc said:
What are you using to measure your temp ? do you have a temp gun?

Digital gauge I use in our server closets. Ground temp has gone to 87 since my last post so it is just taking time to warm up I guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.