Moving my 2 year old tortoises

JRB77

Location (City and/or State)
Phx AZ
Hello! I have 2 beautiful and healthy sulcata tortoises that I’ve acquired from Phx AZ. 2 years old. I’m moving to Charleston, SC next month and hope it’s ok to take them with me! Is this ok? I want the best for them and hope that they will be ok to make the transition with me. Any words of advise would be greatly appreciated!!

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
You might want to check that it's legal to keep tortoises in SC.
You can usually find info on the state's website. At least a link to what is, or is not, acceptable.

I think sulcata should do pretty well there. They'll get lots of humidity and UVB, at least after they move outside full time.

They'll need a heated nightbox, as those coastal breezes get rather cold at night. You will find it much easier to raise food for them. SC gets rain, (and some snow), but plants like that hot and humid climate. It's not like trying to grow greens in salty sand with no rain, and haboobs blowing through periodically. You'll only have to deal with the occasional hurricane. 😲

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
I don't anything about tort keeping in SC etc., but bear in mind that you will probably need to house them separately in order to avoid dominance issues and aggression.

turtlesteve

10 Year Member!
No legal issues in SC that I know of. Once they’re housed outside they will need more substantial heated night boxes, especially over winter, since we get a lot colder than Phoenix and it is common to have rain in winter.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Yoi shouldn't have any problems as long as you seperate them into their own enclosure. Tortoises should not be in pairs. The only way it might be possible is if they are female and you have a lot of property. Them it still might not work.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Oh and just remember they may not act right, right away. They may hide, not eat, etc. Tortoises don't like change. Once they realize they are still in a safe place, they will come around.