Mushrooms?

Location (City and/or State)
North East US
Now I know box turtles can have mushrooms but I’m not sure which ones. Can somebody link me to a website that has the kinds of mushrooms that are safe you just give me a list? Thanks!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
The best thing to do is stick too the ones safe for humans that you buy in the store. I only give the portabellas the baby portabellas (can't think of the name) and button.

NickA

Mid Atlantic
Box turtles can eat most mushrooms. I don’t think there is a list especially designed for this because there are hundreds if not thousands of wild mushrooms through various box turtles range. To play it safe I’d only feed mine mushrooms that are known to be safe for humans. I read before that native Americans would not eat box turtles because they hold toxins from mushrooms that’s are toxic to humans in there body.

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
Are you guys sure easterns can eat them? My turtle friend on another site saw this post, and had this to say-IMG_1532306737.452405.jpgIMG_1532306750.557224.jpg He’s pretty knowledgeable about this stuff, so just figured I’d check :)

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA