Mushrooms

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
A Land Far Away...
Actually not all food needs to be "high food value". There are other factors to consider then just one part of a diet's food value. Look at mositure values and other areas too. A straight diet of mushrooms no, but as a part of the complete and total diet package, yes. I would much rather see more mushrooms being fed then the high amounts of fruits so many feed.

RedfootsRule

5 Year Member
Miami, Florida
Jacqui said:
Actually not all food needs to be "high food value". There are other factors to consider then just one part of a diet's food value. Look at mositure values and other areas too. A straight diet of mushrooms no, but as a part of the complete and total diet package, yes. I would much rather see more mushrooms being fed then the high amounts of fruits so many feed.

By questioning moisture value, I will assume you mean we should have a lower moisture value? Well, mushrooms won't help with that...Because they have a 90% moisture content. And high amounts of fruit are exactly what this species eats. And...most all fruits eaten in the wild are VERY high in two things...Moisture, and sugar. They aren't out there chewing on dead, dried up figs.
Now, you might think 'shrooms are a good source of dietary fiber to...Except, in say a half cup, there are 0.4g fiber in mushrooms, compared to 3g in collard greens....
So again, its really just a "filler".
Of course, this depends on the mushroom. White button or shiitake? Shiitake mushrooms certainly have more of the vitamins and minerals we're looking for, so they could be more relied upon and based upon in the diet.
But I do agree with you, they are a nice "toy" or entertainment for tortoises, just throwing whole mushrooms in the enclosure for them to hunt down. It gives them something to do, and it probably gives healthy excercise. But apart from that, I don't see reason to put large amounts of mushrooms, other then a slice or two every few days, in the diet.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Nopers, not saying we need a lower mositure value, was in fact saying a high one is good a times and should not be over looked. See what happens when you make assumptions on what folks are saying, sometimes you get it totally wrong. ;) In fact that low sugar content you brought up, is another great reason for using them, especially if you feed your tortoise a high amount of fruit.

Our mentality of thinking every bite they eat needs to be super high food value is believed to be one reason tortoises get over weight. It's also why they usually grow much faster then their wild counterpart for whom not always eating only the "high fod value" items is how they live (and perhaps could also be a reason they have survive for so long). I have to wonder if in the future we will start seeing more problems from this over amount of "high" food value diets. Just my wondering.

A balance diet with variety means just that balanced with some high food value and some not in my opinion.

For the record I have given my personal thoughts based on my research and personal experience. I will not respond any more to Peter's posts on this issue as I do not wish to get drawn into a debate.

RedfootsRule

5 Year Member
Miami, Florida
Not "debating" at all, sampling stating my thoughts, as you are. You do bring up an interesting point, that perhaps we should vary low-and-high value foods. Perhaps it has something to do with in the long run, but I really don't see how. Of course, we learn something new every day.
No one is trying to draw you into a debate, and this isn't an "issue". I really don't appreciate your saying that, as I know its an attempt to make me look like a bad guy, as usually is the case....
So, make your own decision on whats been written here OP :). Either way will likely have near similar results in the end; this conversation is only for those that wish to get caught up in technicalities :).

Len B

10 Year Member!
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
Jacqui said:
Nopers, not saying we need a lower mositure value, was in fact saying a high one is good a times and should not be over looked. See what happens when you make assumptions on what folks are saying, sometimes you get it totally wrong. ;) In fact that low sugar content you brought up, is another great reason for using them, especially if you feed your tortoise a high amount of fruit.

Our mentality of thinking every bite they eat needs to be super high food value is believed to be one reason tortoises get over weight. It's also why they usually grow much faster then their wild counterpart for whom not always eating only the "high fod value" items is how they live (and perhaps could also be a reason they have survive for so long). I have to wonder if in the future we will start seeing more problems from this over amount of "high" food value diets. Just my wondering.

A balance diet with variety means just that balanced with some high food value and some not in my opinion.

For the record I have given my personal thoughts based on my research and personal experience. I will not respond any more to Peter's posts on this issue as I do not wish to get drawn into a debate.

I knew you were referring to high moisture, and also has anyone ever seen the results of a scientific study with the benefits of mushrooms being fed to a tortoise of any species ? I doubt it,I believe what benefits that are mentioned are for human consumption only. I also think one species of tortoise will process mushrooms(and other foods) during digestion differently than other species with different beneficial factors for each species.In other words a Impressed Tortoise may benefit more by eating mushrooms than a Star or Sulcata Tortoise. I go through several pounds of mushrooms a week but only for certain species.

mainey34

5 Year Member
Peoria, Arizona
Len said:
Jacqui said:

I knew you were referring to high moisture, and also has anyone ever seen the results of a scientific study with the benefits of mushrooms being fed to a tortoise of any species ? I doubt it,I believe what benefits that are mentioned are for human consumption only. I also think one species of tortoise will process mushrooms(and other foods) during digestion differently than other species with different beneficial factors for each species.In other words a Impressed Tortoise may benefit more by eating mushrooms than a Star or Sulcata Tortoise. I go through several pounds of mushrooms a week but only for certain species.

Which certian species are you referring to?

RedfootsRule

5 Year Member
Miami, Florida
Len said:
Jacqui said:

Mushrooms would most certainly have a different effect on a tortoise meant to eat them, and a tortoise that would likely never encounter them in the wild. A.k.a, an impressa compared to a sulcata...

Len B

10 Year Member!
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
mainey34 said:
Len said:
Jacqui said:

Which certian species are you referring to?

Impressed, mep, mee, redfoot, yellowfoot, all are offered mushrooms as part of their diet, I even go as far as to grow mold and what ever else will grow on warm moist over ripe fruit (tomatoes are the best for this) for the manouria,they love to scrounge in moist leaf matter looking for and eating little bits of fungus, that I have no way of identifying, but they really go for it. I have not offered the home grown fungus to the red or yellow foots yet, but I may at a later date.

Status
Not open for further replies.