My young Astrochelys.

Akdrillo86

Location (City and/or State)
Atlanta, Georgia
First time tortoise owner. Have had this little guy for only 3 weeks. He’s 9 months old. We’ve found a good rhythm and are getting to know each other better everyday. He’s eating and growing well. Here are a few of my favorite photos so far. Really enjoying the process of caretaking and maintaining the environment, Thanks for looking.

Attachments

• IMG_0059.jpeg
    IMG_0059.jpeg
    369.9 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_0058.png
    IMG_0058.png
    2.2 MB · Views: 1
  • IMG_0065.jpeg
    IMG_0065.jpeg
    817.8 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_0064.jpeg
    IMG_0064.jpeg
    876.4 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_0063.jpeg
    IMG_0063.jpeg
    743.7 KB · Views: 1

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
He's beautiful.
The substrate looks damp, hopefully that's because you are raising him in a closed chamber high humidity. Do not use halogen, mercury or spot bulbs, they will make him pyramid in the best conditions.

Akdrillo86

Atlanta, Georgia
He's beautiful.
The substrate looks damp, hopefully that's because you are raising him in a closed chamber high humidity. Do not use halogen, mercury or spot bulbs, they will make him pyramid in the best conditions.

Closed Chamber, CHEs and heat pads on temp controller, Arcadia HO T5 UVB tubes paired with 5700K tube grow lights. Keep humidity anywhere from 78 - 93 %. Typically I fall right around 85%. No basking spot right now per guide from Zovick. Zovick gave me some great guidance I used to build the closed chamber before the little arrived.

Akdrillo86

Atlanta, Georgia

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I'm not sure that's accurate but let's get someone that will know. It can be very bad to not have a basking area if it's a species that needs it
@Tom @Markw84

Akdrillo86

Atlanta, Georgia
I wouldn't recommend heat pads and neither does the guide you linked. Could you use radiant heating panels or more CHE's to achieve the same purpose?

The heat pads cover about 1/10 of the enclosure and lie below the substrate. I’ve done testing and with the CHEs effectiveness the heat pads don’t even have a chance to heat up effectively. So it’s a useless redundancy at this point. I’ll pull em out on the next cleaning. Note that it doesn’t mention heat pads as his method is a controlled room.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I'm not sure that's accurate but let's get someone that will know. It can be very bad to not have a basking area if it's a species that needs it
@Tom @Markw84
@zovick is the godfather and he mentored @Sterant into one of the best breeders and keepers of the species in the country. I was fortunate to have met and visited Sterant at his home and got to tour his set up. It was as clean and professional as any facility I've ever seen. Every detail was thought out and attended to, and the result was pure excellence all around. It was a privilege to be able to see it first hand.

@Akdrillo86 has indeed received to correct care info from the most credible of credible sources. No basking lamp is necessary for this species.

Neither Mark nor I have bred this species yet, but we are both right on the verge and both expecting fertile eggs this winter. When it happens, I will house my babies as recommended by Zovick and Sterant.

Akdrillo86

Atlanta, Georgia
Thanks everyone. I’ve been questioning my every move and referencing this forum and its collective knowledge extensively. It’s been fun and enlightening, but also a bit stressful as this is all a first. Steady as she goes so far. Tortoise seems very relaxed and happy so far. Best.

Akdrillo86

Atlanta, Georgia
Yeah, but he lists basking lamps, CHEs and RHPs for heating individual enclosures. But yes I would take the pads out.
There’s been a plethora of advice and conflicting info on the internet. Hard to parse out what’s beneficial and what is not. The braver of us expose ourselves to this forum to receive the brunt though constructive, positive, and well intended criticism on husbandry that I witness on most new keeper posts. I feel like I’m doing well so far if the heat pads are my only issue 😂. Easy fix. Thank you!

The_Four_Toed_Edward

Finland
There’s been a plethora of advice and conflicting info on the internet. Hard to parse out what’s beneficial and what is not. The braver of us expose ourselves to this forum to receive the brunt though constructive, positive, and well intended criticism on husbandry that I witness on most new keeper posts. I feel like I’m doing well so far if the heat pads are my only issue 😂. Easy fix.
Yep, you are doing very well! Just wanted to point it out, they aren't very effective and in some cases have been even dangerous.

I wish you and your tortoise the best!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
There’s been a plethora of advice and conflicting info on the internet. Hard to parse out what’s beneficial and what is not. The braver of us expose ourselves to this forum to receive the brunt though constructive, positive, and well intended criticism on husbandry that I witness on most new keeper posts. I feel like I’m doing well so far if the heat pads are my only issue 😂. Easy fix. Thank you!
Few people have experience with this species at all, and fewer still have any experience at all raising radiata babies. Some info can be generalized for all or most species, but each species has its own little important details. Your best bet is to listen to the two people here that have successfully done what you are doing hundreds of times.

The rest of us mean well, myself included, be we lack the first hand experience of Zovick and Sterant. If you have the privilege of receiving direct advice from Zovick or Sterant, that is who I would listen to first and foremost.