New addition..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tony the tank

5 Year Member
Well I have a new addition...she/he is about 10" and weighs about 8lbs.. Original owners didn't take the best care of him... Kept him loose around the house and fed him mostly store brought produce.. He has some slight pyramiding and some scrapes on his legs... Seems to be eating alright and poop is solid...

My only concern is he appears to have scrapes on his leg from his own shell... Previous owner states that he spent most of his time pacing and climbing there patio slider...Has anyone seen this before??

Also want to quarantine him for a while..What is a safe quarantine period??

Thanks you

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Las Vegas, NV
Congrats on the new addition, my biggest sulcata has gotten self inflicted leg wounds from trying to turn around in a tight spot because he didn't want to back up. If they are old wounds and have healed then there is not much to worry about, but if they are fresh then you need to treat accordingly.

I think the quarantine time is up to you there is no set amount of time, some people say a few months and some say 6 months...

Tony the tank

5 Year Member
Would you or anyone else know..if they can harbor airborne pathogens... With my parrots I tape off the air vents in a room since most Bird pathogens are airborne..

What pathogens are of concern to tortoises??

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
Not sure on airborne pathogens with tortoises, but you should watch out for parasites (worms) and respiratory disease

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
You will want to invest in a pop-a-scoop if you don't have one already. It made picking up those big poops so much easier....

Tony the tank

5 Year Member
I have two of the ones with the big claw at the end.. Shes outside in a wire crate... So i just pick up the crate and move it..Then pickup the droppings... seems im always picking up either dog or tortoise droppings

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
Tony the tank said:
I have two of the ones with the big claw at the end.. Shes outside in a wire crate... So i just pick up the crate and move it..Then pickup the droppings... seems im always picking up either dog or tortoise droppings
Okay, your a pro with it already... She looks pretty good...

TortieLuver

5 Year Member
Arizona
She/he actually looks pretty good. Do you have any plastron pics? There's no set time in quarantine, some say 6 months, some say 12 month and 18 is best. My vet seems to go on a case by case basis will the ones I bring in and since I see him, he does fecal samples, etc. If they appear to be in good health, he says a month, but others may be months if they weren't well-cared for. I wouldn't put a new one in too soon if you aren't planning on having him/her vet checked. Some symptoms can arise a couple weeks after you get him/her.

Tony the tank

5 Year Member
Will get some pics of the plastron when wife is here... Really don't want to turn her on her back right now... She is very timid and shy... If I get within 10ft of her she pops into her shell..flipping her will probably freak her out even more..trying to keep the stressors down..

She is pyramided.. Last owner worked a lot and only let her out on the weekends...feed her mostly romaine and arugula...

Status
Not open for further replies.