New and clueless

Pearly

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Central Texas, Austin area
Holy crap what a setup! How big are your babies? That's a lot of food. Could you post a shot of the entire enclosure?
I couldn't find very good pics to show you the whole enclosure.
Well, it's just a breeder tank! Only 40 gallon. It was plenty few months ago when we first got the babies, they were just 2inches. Now, growing like weeds, more then tripled their weight, I have already started prepping the site in my backyard to build them daytime enclosure. This tank will have to suffice for night time for a while longer. I don't have very good pictures bcs the snap shots for some reason don't reflect the real "feel" of it. It either looks flatter or smaller then it really is. Here is what I do have just to give you some idea
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1452660180.215310.jpg

ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1452660218.785912.jpg view from the side

ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1452660259.413310.jpg

ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1452660326.374955.jpg

ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1452660512.076205.jpg "view" from the half open top

ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1452660624.008089.jpg

ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1452660705.261864.jpg as you can seeI love my plants and my moss but those plants don't last long, see how those little rascals demolished these? And I thought if they had plenty of food they'd leave the plants alone....ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1452660896.516447.jpg and that FOGGER has been awesome!!!!! Love it!!!! Fixed my humidity problems instantly! I saw you got this same one. Hope it works for you as well

Davidson

That's perfect, gives me great ideas! Do you cut the Bottom off the plant pots or just fill them on their side?

I have my che rigged up now. Having trouble finding the uvb t8s. Do you think 2 15w fluorescent 10.0 bulbs would be too much uv?

Joseph K

5 Year Member
Looks like you have a Colombian Redfoot! Raphael looks just like my Anna here in Chicago; you're going to have tons of fun with him.

I'd say the humidity is the hardest thing to get unless you live in the tropics where it's 70-90% humidity all the time. I too use a fogger (the standard ReptiFogger) and even though it breaks like every six months, Anna seems to like it so much more than the monsoon rain forest system I was using before. I water substrate almost everyday too but that alone just doesn't get the humidity anywhere near acceptable range. Keep the fogger and if it gets too humid, just turn it off (or cycle it). Anna's gone days with low humidity, and I haven't detected any major changes in her behavior.

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
That's perfect, gives me great ideas! Do you cut the Bottom off the plant pots or just fill them on their side?

I have my che rigged up now. Having trouble finding the uvb t8s. Do you think 2 15w fluorescent 10.0 bulbs would be too much uv?
Hi David.
If you use 2 15w uvb you could try and create a dappled light effect. I did this buy hanging a fake vine around the tube.
It stopped it from being too bright.

How's it going now?

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
Hi David.
If you use 2 15w uvb you could try and create a dappled light effect. I did this buy hanging a fake vine around the tube.

How's it going now?
Can you run it with just 1 tube plugged in?

Davidson

Looks like you have a Colombian Redfoot! Raphael looks just like my Anna here in Chicago; you're going to have tons of fun with him.

I'd say the humidity is the hardest thing to get unless you live in the tropics where it's 70-90% humidity all the time. I too use a fogger (the standard ReptiFogger) and even though it breaks like every six months, Anna seems to like it so much more than the monsoon rain forest system I was using before. I water substrate almost everyday too but that alone just doesn't get the humidity anywhere near acceptable range. Keep the fogger and if it gets too humid, just turn it off (or cycle it). Anna's gone days with low humidity, and I haven't detected any major changes in her behavior.
Excellent ty for the advise! Pictures of anna?

Hi David.

How's it going now?
I like that idea, but doesn't the bulb get too hot for that?

Can you run it with just 1 tube plugged in?
Nope lol tried first thing

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
Excellent ty for the advise! Pictures of anna?

I like that idea, but doesn't the bulb get too hot for that?

Nope lol tried first thing
My strip doesn't get too hot for that. I was conscious of that when I tried it. Put you tube on for a while and feel it for heat. Make sure you feel the ends where connections are.

Davidson

I could just drape it from the rubber connectors on each end. Hmm another hunt through my crappy local stores booooo

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
I could just drape it from the rubber connectors on each end. Hmm another hunt through my crappy local stores booooo
Another method I used for my hingeback torts is, I fastened a fake vine mesh across the enclosure under the uvb. Acting like a canopy between the torts and uvb. It acts like the sun shining through dense foliage.
I can unclip the mesh at one side incase i need to get to the torts.
What ever you decide do keep it away from the CHE though.

Davidson

I was actually thinking of attaching it to the glass sides using magnets. Super easy to dis assemble.

I'm thinking it would help him feel more secure I'd I painted the back and sides of the aquarium. Opinions?

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
I was actually thinking of attaching it to the glass sides using magnets. Super easy to dis assemble.

I'm thinking it would help him feel more secure I'd I painted the back and sides of the aquarium. Opinions?
Ok, as long as the magnets are strong enough for safety. You don't want it falling on your tort.
I was thinking the other day it may be to bright in a wide open glass tank.
Years ago when we had giant African snails we put aquarium scenery around the outside on the ends and back. You can buy it in rolls. Not sure what its called though.

Davidson

Ok, as long as the magnets are strong enough for safety. You don't want it falling on your tort.
I was thinking the other day it may be to bright in a wide open glass tank.
Years ago when we had giant African snails we put aquarium scenery around the outside on the ends and back. You can buy it in rolls. Not sure what its called though.
Yes I used that on all my aquarium I just tore it off this one when I stored it. The backing is a pain in the hole to adhere evenly, especially around the corners.

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
Yes I used that on all my aquarium I just tore it off this one when I stored it. The backing is a pain in the hole to adhere evenly, especially around the corners.
Maybe plants in pots around the outside. Stuff you can feed. Just thoughts.

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
Tbh if its up against a wall I wouldn't worry about covering the back.

Davidson

Tbh if its up against a wall I wouldn't worry about covering the back.
I hate seeing cords. Che, 4 from the fluorescent, temperature controller. And the hydrometer/thermometer. Too many cords for me haha

Maybe plants in pots around the outside. Stuff you can feed. Just thoughts.
Keep them coming. Foliage sounds good but it's only a 12" deep tank so I'm a little limited

Davidson

I looked at a 2 year old "cherry head" yesterday at a local pet store and it looked exactly like my red footed except the head was yellow and the shell was extremely bumpy. Isn't the head supposed to be red? And why is the shell so bumpy?

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
I hate seeing cords. Che, 4 from the fluorescent, temperature controller. And the hydrometer/thermometer. Too many cords for me haha

Keep them coming. Foliage sounds good but it's only a 12" deep tank so I'm a little limited
I meant put plants in pots around the outside of your enclosure.

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
I looked at a 2 year old "cherry head" yesterday at a local pet store and it looked exactly like my red footed except the head was yellow and the shell was extremely bumpy. Isn't the head supposed to be red? And why is the shell so bumpy?
Cherryheads can have varying colours on the head. That was most probably a northern redfoot, not a cherryhead. But yes in general cherries have a red head and dark plastron.
It was bumpy because it has been kept too dry. This is why you need high humidity, 80% minimum, and fresh water they can bathe in and drink every day. Also I bathe mine in warm water for 20mins once a wk.(forced soak), Most do it about 3 times a wk and some do it every day. Just remember because your tort is small its body mass is also less, this means it gets colder quicker than when it's an adult. So cold water and cold floors are no good for your juvenile. When they are adults they can take a cooler temperature for longer, as long as they can retreat back to warmth at will.

Davidson

Ahhh well then, my kids spotted her and wanted to give raph a girlfriend haha guess not this time around.