New and clueless

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
UK Sheffield
Alright. What if I use slightly higher wattage and hang it right from the top? 12" above substrate approx?
That won't make any difference, the higher wattage is to accommodate the tube lengths.
If I was you I would stick to just one fluorescent tube. You can put different length tubes in the same holders.
If you get that double one you want, you should still be able to just use one I think.
But its getting untidy with extra wires that you don't need.
Have you already ordered that double tube holder?
A juvenile redfoot doesn't want it too bright.
1 tube approx half the length of you enclosure will be just right.

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
Do you think an aquarium temperature controller would work the same in a terrarium? It measures temperature and signals the power to the heater/light until designated temp is reached.
I'm not sure about aquarium controllers. Never dealt with them.

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
You should also get the biggest diameter dome you can get for you CHE. The bigger the dome the bigger you can cut a hole in your lid, so the CHE is further away from the wooden lid. Also it will spread heat better rather than concentrating it in a smaller area.

Davidson

That won't make any difference, the higher wattage is to accommodate the tube lengths.
If I was you I would stick to just one fluorescent tube. You can put different length tubes in the same holders.
If you get that double one you want, you should still be able to just use one I think.
But its getting untidy with extra wires that you don't need.
Have you already ordered that double tube holder?
A juvenile redfoot doesn't want it too bright.
1 tube approx half the length of you enclosure will be just right.

I have yes. I'll just use the 2 10w.

The enclosure is 18" high

Davidson

You should also get the biggest diameter dome you can get for you CHE. The bigger the dome the bigger you can cut a hole in your lid, so the CHE is further away from the wooden lid. Also it will spread heat better rather than concentrating it in a smaller area.

I was just going to use the standard size metal dome I have with my snake.

I thought you said rest the light on the wood?

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
I just found an old photo of my vivarium. This is 2x4x2ft. Because it's 24" high I can get away with putting CHE inside without a dome, no heat loss through dome and the CHE spreads heat in every direction.
If yours is not 24" high you will have to sit the dome on top of the enclosure. You will lose some heat through the dome though.
My uvb is set 10" above substrate, which is about 8" above the torts. Hope this helps.
IMG_20150508_200600.jpg

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
I was just going to use the standard size metal dome I have with my snake.

I thought you said rest the light on the wood?
Yes I did. That will be OK. I've just loaded a photo of my viv for you.

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
This is a photo of my larger enclosure to show you how I put domes on top. I held them in place with simple cable clips nailed in 4 positions.
Screenshot_2016-01-11-13-27-45.png

Pearly

5 Year Member
Central Texas, Austin area
Hi Davidson, welcome from Texas. I have 2 red food babies, and also keep them in the aquarium. This is how I did the top:
] ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1452520880.158432.jpg
I use the screen that fits the tank on top:
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1452520914.732440.jpg ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1452521014.839181.jpg I also use fogger like yours, love it!ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1452521317.131798.jpg and here are my babies.
When we first got them I blended their food (greens and all with little soaked commercial tort food). Now I chop things up very finely and also give few fresh leaves to munch on.
Have you figured out what Raphael's favorite food is yet? I tried MANY different ways of preparing and serving before figured out what mine like and how.
Try blending, chopping, mixing with fruit or baby food.
Mine LOVE protein! Cooked Shrimp or hard boiled egg, they go crazy for that stuff.
Or papaya, you can chop it very finely or blend and pour over your chopped greens.
Mine also love radicchio and green flat leaf parsley.
One of my babies was not eating much when we first got him. I was very worried about him failing to thrive and tried all kinds of "mother's tricks" similar to ones that I had used with my children had stopped nursing and needed to start eating food. Commercial tortoise food is what had worked for my baby tort, so I made sure to have a fresh dose of it mixed in with the fresh greens every day.
You'll figure it out.
Check out "tort food receipe" thread. Yvonne has put tons of pics in there

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1452520846.557086.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1452520846.557086.jpg
    54.1 KB · Views: 7

Davidson

Thanx for the visual! Gives me great ideas.

My buddy used to put this multi coloured tortoise diet stuff on every meal, along with dried red shrimp. So he is very finicky if I don't put one or the other on top of his salad.

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
Thanx for the visual! Gives me great ideas.

My buddy used to put this multi coloured tortoise diet stuff on every meal, along with dried red shrimp. So he is very finicky if I don't put one or the other on top of his salad.
Keep reducing the amount of food that he is addicted too. Feed weeds regular. Mine go 3 days a week in a row with weeds/greens only.

Davidson

I am in the process of staining and finishing a piece of wood for the left lid, and I will have the lighting by Thursday. I also just found out my aquarium temperature controller works for terrariums as well. So I'm just battling with my levels hoping Thursday comes quick haha

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
Just plain lettuce or spinach count as weeds?
No, lettuce is low in nutrients and too much spinach binds the calcium so it doesn't get absorbed, veriety of food is key.
If I put dandilions and plantains weeds down they never get left. I feed weeds every day unless we struggle to get some, then we feed romaine lettuce, spring greens,kale and a bit of red and green cabbage. Usually we can get weeds though. Narrow leaf plantain can take harsh weather.
They eat fruit,veg and protein too. I feed protein once a week.
Scrambled egg is a good protein. Whisk an egg up crush the shell into small pieces, add it to the whisked egg and microwave for 1 minute. Wait until its cold before feeding, cooked chicken, pinkie mice,cat food and earth worms are all good for protein too.
You also need to put a cuttle fish in for your tort to eat at its own will for calcium. Your tort can't absorb calcium without D3. D3 comes from the sun and your uvb light. This is why its important to get you uvb light at the right height from your tort.

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield

Davidson

Sweet thanx for the read! Weeds are unavailable to me 8 months of the year. But good news, raph just came out and started ramming the glass so he wants his bath! Which means he'll eat some greens after :)

Humidity and temp still all over the place tho. Come on Thursday!

Those are some pretty sweet setups tho, gives me lots of inspiration