New and need advice!

isabellaandvesta

Location (City and/or State)
Panama City Beach, FL
Hello! My name is Isabella and I am located in Panama City Beach Florida.
Today driving on the highway I stopped and picked up a tortoise who was in the middle of the road. I believe he/she may have been hit by the passing cars in front of me. I have attached photos of him/her and a photo of the area on the shell I am concerned about.
I would love to keep him/her.
I own my home and I have a LARGE privacy fenced in yard that gets a lot of direct sunlight, with shady spots from the tall trees in my yard. I would like to keep this tortoise and build her/him a good sized habitat in my yard. I have three dogs, so I don't think letting him/her roam the entire yard would be a good idea.
She/he also has a large chunk missing from the back of the shell, near the tail.
Can anyone give me advice or thoughts on keeping this tortoise and building a habitat for it in my yard? (Photos of habitats would be greatly appreciated)
What is the best foods I need to feed this guy/gal?
What kind of tortoise is he/she?
Thank you in advance! :)

Attachments

• IMG_8311.JPG
    IMG_8311.JPG
    477.5 KB · Views: 65
  • IMG_8312.JPG
    IMG_8312.JPG
    491.4 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_8313.JPG
    IMG_8313.JPG
    982.5 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_8314.JPG
    IMG_8314.JPG
    763.5 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_8315.JPG
    IMG_8315.JPG
    623.8 KB · Views: 41

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Thank you very much!

Of course.... before you make too many plans to fall in love with your boxie, you might want to check wi Florida Fish and Wildlife
Office http://myfwc.com/contact/. to make sure it is legal for you to keep. You might need to register or get a license...etc.

Here’s some of the info

• The following species have a possession limit of two: loggerhead musk turtles, box turtles, Escambia map turtles and Diamondback terrapins. For all other freshwater turtles, take is limited to one turtle per person per day from the wild for noncommercial use. Freshwater turtles only can be taken by hand, dip net, minnow seine or baited hook. Many freshwater turtle species may be taken year round, but softshell turtles may not be taken from the wild from May 1 to July 31. In addition, collecting and possession of freshwater turtle eggs is prohibited without a permit. You may transport no more than one turtle at a time, unless you have proof that all turtles were purchased legally (receipt indicating the purchase date; quantity and species of turtles acquired; and the name and address of supplier), an importation permit from the FWC for turtles being brought into Florida, or a valid Aquaculture Certificate of Registration from the Florida Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services (FDACS: FloridaAquaculture.com ). Red-eared sliders may be harvested without a permit but not possessed alive without a conditional species permit. Those in possession of a valid Aquaculture Certificate of Registration and restricted species authorization from the FDACS (FloridaAquaculture.com ) may culture and sell red-eared sliders, but only to out-of-state recipients or Floridians who have a valid conditional species permit. However, certified turtle farmers that buy red-eared sliders for direct retail sale must have a conditional species permit. The application for a conditional species permit is at GoOutdoorsFlorida.com. Rules subject to change; see FLrules.org for the latest.

Last edited:

isabellaandvesta

Panama City Beach, FL
Thank you very much!
I'm having a hard time navigating the site I believe? I was unable to find any feeding instructions or tips for eastern box turtles when I click the link you provided..
My brother just told me that he believes the tortoise is a male. He said that the tail looks short & stubby. It would be slim & elongated if it were a female..
Do you know if this is correct?
Thank you again :)

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA