New Breeder

Status
Not open for further replies.

Neal

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Arizona
One of our females surprised us this morning with a clutch of 11 eggs! Normally, I would have left them in the ground but since it was her first clutch and she's so much bigger than our other main producing female, I was curious about how she did.

I purchased her from Fife back in...06 or 07 as a 4 inch 6 month old and raised her up to a whopping 14 incher and still growing! I almost let her go a couple of times because I thought she was ugly. Glad she decided to turn pretty.

001-19.jpg

JeffG

5 Year Member
Arizona
Congratulations Neal! I hope you get 100% hatch rate!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Ugly, shame on you, leopards can't be ugly:p:D. Congrats. Can't wait to see out they all turn out:)[/i]

yagyujubei

5 Year Member
Amish Country
Nice. I'm guessing, the bigger the female the more eggs in a clutch. Yes? I have my fingers crossed for my big female for next year.

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
yagyujubei said:
Nice. I'm guessing, the bigger the female the more eggs in a clutch. Yes? I have my fingers crossed for my big female for next year.

I would think so too. My 11 inch female has laid an average of 6 eggs/clutch over the past three years, but her eggs are a bit bigger than these ones. These ones are about 3/4 the size of the ones from my 11 incher. Maybe it's because this female is still relatively young.

*Barracuda_50*

5 Year Member
Harrietta, MI
:) WOOT!! CONGRATS Neal!! Hope you get 100% hatch rate with these eggs, also the mama is a real beauty as well..;):tort:

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
JeffG said:

I hope so too. Normally I would have left them in the ground, but since this was her first clutch, I just had to see how she did. I'll be letting these cool off for about a month before I place them in the incubator.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Neal said:
JeffG said:

I hope so too. Normally I would have left them in the ground, but since this was her first clutch, I just had to see how she did. I'll be letting these cool off for about a month before I place them in the incubator.

I know nothing about hatching eggs. Just curious, if you don't mind. What is the cooling off for and why? I have never heard anyone say anything like that before. Thanks:)

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
Eggs of certain species don't really develop unless diapause is broken, which will happen if they are cooled for a period of time.

DesertGrandma

10 Year Member!
Arizona
Neal, I think she is very pretty. She sure has kept her dark coloring. What method will you use to break the diapause?

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
I can't believe you thought she was ugly.

Adão

5 Year Member
Portugal
She´s is very beautiful indeed :D Hopefully she will be the mother of eleven babies :)

Status
Not open for further replies.