New comer

Location (City and/or State)
Louisiana
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1411652087.273046.jpg
I'm new to the tortoise forum. I joined about two weeks ago and have researched as much as possible. This is peaches first picture being posted. I know I need a bigger inside enclosure I'm working on getting something else. I have worked more on her outdoor enclosure which I will get pictures of later. I have lots of questions but will try to ask in the right threads. Peaches was a gift to my grandson whom she lived with for six weeks then I took over. I have had her now for five weeks. Peaches was bought from a pet store so I don't know her age. Only the we got her May 27 2014. She is five inches and 13 1/2 ounces. Well that's a start I'm communicating !!! Any advice and info is welcome. Even if critical I'm trying to raise a happy tort. Also keeping her humid now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tortoise Forum.
Peaches

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
Welcome. There is a ton of information here, and always happy to answer questions.

Dizisdalife

10 Year Member!
California
Welcome to the forum. My sulcata (Chuck) came to me in a similar fashion as yours. Only it was a gift to my Grand-daughter, not my Grand-son. That was almost 4 years ago. Since then we have added 2 more grand-kids and another sulcata (not in my care). Chuck (my sulcata) outweighs all of them. Without this forum I would have failed as a sulcata keeper. Stick around.

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
She looks great! Nice and smooth :D Tom's thread on raising sulcata's are the best, they can be found at the top of this section :D! Many people use closed chambers for baby sulcata's, because they hold humidity well and can help hat nice, smooth shell grow well.

Tank'sMom

Olmito, Tx
Oh, and as previously mentioned, check out the care sheets at the top of this forum. Compare them with what you are doing currently. There is a lot of misinformation out there!
But your tort is gorgeous, so you must be doing it right!

Louisiana
I have read all the info on this forum. I think I just want to be reassured on things. Would any one have a guess to how old she is. I know I don't really know if peaches is a she LOL Is it ok that she stays outside all day because of her age. Can I keep asking questions from this thread or should I ask in the correct forum Thanks outdoor pics soon

Tank'sMom

Olmito, Tx
She's a Sulcata and this is the Sulcata thread! You're in the right place!
I think everyone "assigns a gender" to their babies until they can really tell. Lol.
It's really hard to guess an age. They all grow at very different rates.
As far as being outside, depends on your climate, set up and her size & general age. Mine is outside, but he's 17 and 120lbs. ;)
I'll leave that to the ones on here who have torts about her size....

Dizisdalife

10 Year Member!
California
Is it ok that she stays outside all day because of her age.
Most decisions are based on size rather than age. When my sulcata was 5" I put him in an outdoor pen when the weather was nice (sunny and 70°F) and brought him into an indoor enclosure at night. That routine continued until he was about 10". At that point he went outside 24/7. That was in the Spring of his 2nd year. By the end of Summer he was about 13" and had adjusted to living outside. Way too stubborn to ever bring back into the house.

Can I keep asking questions from this thread or should I ask in the correct forum
This is a good thread for you to start with. As you develop specific questions about your sulcata you will want to start a new thread with a new topic. That way it will get the attention it deserves. You can post it here or in another section if appropriate. Don't worry, if it is in the wrong place the moderators will move it. I think they still do that.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
I haven't seen anyone criticized for posting in the wrong place or anyone told that they had posted a "dumb" question. Just very helpful people looking to make tortoise care the best it can be.

Louisiana
So I shall continue to bring her in nightly and let her stay out weather permitting. And keep on learning !!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tortoise Forum.
Peaches