New leopard owner with some questions

Bducks16

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
forest grove, oregon
Where do I get cactus pads??
Tortoisesupply.com sells them. I bought some from Amazon. I planted a few pads that I had bought in flower pots now I don't have to buy them anymore. Plus now I get the fruit that the prickley pear cactus produce. They love that as well. I live in the Pacific Northwest. The cactus grows just fine outside here. I'm not sure where you live. It might be much easier for you to find if you live in the southern states that border with Mexico.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California

Ladyliberty

Thanks, everyone. I'm worried for the little tort. I don't think she's been raised correctly so far in her 8 years.

I tried to give her mushrooms and dandelion leaves today and she wouldn't touch them. She only ate the radicchio and green leaf that she's used to eating. I even tried to give her some strawberry and she wouldn't eat that either. A friend is giving me a hibiscus plant so I'll try that next. There's gotta be something else she will eat!

Her tank isn't set up right. I'm almost positive. I added the basking rock this morning and she loves it. The previous owners never used it. I also added the kindle plate for her to soak in. The old water dish was tiny. She couldn't fit inside it. The plate is the best I could do on short notice. I'm not sure what else I need.

I live in southern CA. It's warm here. My house is around 76 degrees during the day.

ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1463851420.512614.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1463851445.438080.jpg

Rue

Canada
A change in diet...after years...will take time...

Just be persistent.

Will it get too hot by the window?

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Your tort can't digest sugars properly - it causes kidney problems - so fruit, tomato, bell pepper and carrot should only be fed very occasionally. Don't panic if it won't touch them that's fine :)

They can be picky eaters. The trick is to cut the food up small and wet it and mix it with a tiny amount of new stuff. If it's wet it sticks together and your tort can't pick the bits it likes best out.

If it eats the mix, increase the proportion of new stuff slightly at the next feed. If it refuses, stick with the same proportions.

They may refuse to eat the new mix at first, but hang on in there. You're the parent telling a child he can't have a diet only of chips and chocolate. A tort can go without food for quite a long time as long it's hydrated (soak lots). It will eat when it's hungry.

Ladyliberty

Wondering if I should lessen the amount of green leaf and radicchio compared to the other foods. If she's hungry enough she will eat, right???

The sun only comes in the window for a few hours in the morning (it's east facing but the neighbors house blocks the sun for a bit). I don't have a temp gauge so I'm not sure how hot it is in the tank but she's still in that basking rock. If she got too hot she would get off it, I'm assuming.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
This list of suitable foods came from Yvonne (via Tom I think)

Mulberry leaves
Grape vine leaves
Hibiscus leaves
African hibiscus leaves
Blue hibiscus leaves
Rose of Sharon leaves
Rose leaves
Geraniums
Gazanias
Lavatera
Pansies
Petunias
Hostas
Honeysuckle
Cape honeysuckle
Leaves and blooms from any squash plant, like pumpkin, cucumber, summer squash, etc...
Young spineless opuntia cactus pads

Weeds:
There are soooooooo many...
Dandelion
Mallow
Filaree
Smooth Sow thistle
Prickly Sow thistle
Milk thistle
Goat head weed
Cats ear
Nettles
Trefoil
Wild onion
Wild mustard
Wild Garlic
Clovers
Broadleaf plantain
Narrow leaf plantain
Chick weed
Hawksbit
Hensbit
Hawksbeard

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Wondering if I should lessen the amount of green leaf and radicchio compared to the other foods. If she's hungry enough she will eat, right???

The sun only comes in the window for a few hours in the morning (it's east facing but the neighbors house blocks the sun for a bit). I don't have a temp gauge so I'm not sure how hot it is in the tank but she's still in that basking rock. If she got too hot she would get off it, I'm assuming.
It's important to know the temperatures. There's no escape in a tank and torts can overheat.

Get a temperature gun thermometer- they're inexpensive from Amazon- so you can do it accurately.

The sun's UVB does not pass through window glass, so there's no benefit from getting direct sun through glass other than warming things up.

Kasia

Poland
Thanks, everyone. I'm worried for the little tort. I don't think she's been raised correctly so far in her 8 years.

I tried to give her mushrooms and dandelion leaves today and she wouldn't touch them. She only ate the radicchio and green leaf that she's used to eating. I even tried to give her some strawberry and she wouldn't eat that either. A friend is giving me a hibiscus plant so I'll try that next. There's gotta be something else she will eat!

Her tank isn't set up right. I'm almost positive. I added the basking rock this morning and she loves it. The previous owners never used it. I also added the kindle plate for her to soak in. The old water dish was tiny. She couldn't fit inside it. The plate is the best I could do on short notice. I'm not sure what else I need.

I live in southern CA. It's warm here. My house is around 76 degrees during the day.

View attachment 174272View attachment 174273
"I tried to give her mushrooms" mushrooms are a no no :). Try endive maybe, dandelion flowers not leaves as a starter :). Smell nice and have a nice yellow color to it :)

phebe121

My leopards are 9 inches 5 lbs at 2 yrs old . should be on a table with more room to run around and have an outside enclosure for nice days

Attachments

• IMG_20160312_112730.jpg
    IMG_20160312_112730.jpg
    710.1 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_20160510_155756.jpg
    IMG_20160510_155756.jpg
    940.9 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_20160428_083135.jpg
    IMG_20160428_083135.jpg
    1,021.5 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_20160418_081620.jpg
    IMG_20160418_081620.jpg
    771.5 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_20160416_150455.jpg
    IMG_20160416_150455.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 19

phebe121

Good things to feed dandelions. Plantain. Sow thistle. Hibiscus. Rose.rose of Sharon.bittercress.lilac.dead nettle.hosta.dog violet. Speedwell.grass is the main one.sedum.mallow.Nipplewort.pansy.aloe.cat grass.bellflower.bristly ox tounge.

Ladyliberty

Didn't know about the mushrooms. One list I found said they were ok. What about Timothy hay?

Bducks16

5 Year Member
forest grove, oregon
Didn't know about the mushrooms. One list I found said they were ok. What about Timothy hay?
Timothy hay for food is good but I really doubt your leopard will eat it. As for a substrate definitely not. That basking rock is not a good idea for a tortoise. Humidity and heat is essential. The first thing I would do and it's not much work is buy a bag of orchid bark for substrate. A digital thermometer/humidity gauge and a top to seal the top of the aquarium to hold in the heat and humidity. Don't let the ambient temperature inside the aquarium drop below 80. When you reach those conditions I think you will see a difference with that tortoise. First work on that and then come back with more questions. There is still lots more to learn. It's not easy but will eventually get easier.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California

Mushrooms meant for human consumption are fine for tortoises as a small part of a varied diet.

Most leopards will not eat plain dry hay, but it won't hurt to try it. Chop it up super fine with scissors, let it soak in some warm water for an hour, and then mix it in with her favorites. Only use a tiny little bit at first.

Your tortoise is not likely to just walk up and eat any of the new foods, no matter how good we think they are. It will take time to introduce them. Try some Mazuri. It is balanced nutrition for tortoises, and your baby needs the nutrients.

I agree with BDucks that the hot rock has to go. Those are dangerous and should not be used. They tend to burn reptiles.

All of the info for what to do, what not to do, how to set them up, how to heat and light them, what to feed them, etc… is right here:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/how-to-raise-a-healthy-sulcata-or-leopard-version-2-0.79895/
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/

Ladyliberty

This little girl is stressing me out! She won't eat anything I give her besides the green leaf and radicchio that she's used to. I tried giving her cactus pad, hibiscus flower, dandelions...she won't touch any of it. I tried putting the other foods in without any of the stuff she's used to and she didn't eat for 24 hours. I got calcium powder and sprinkled it on the green leaf and radicchio and she wouldn't touch it. I ordered Mazuri on Amazon and it should be here tomorrow. I'm sure she won't eat it. What do I do??

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
A mix of tough love and patience. Put a small amount of 1 New food in with her normal. Chop it all small. If she doesn't eat it, the next day give exactly the same thing. Repeat until she eats. She will not starve. They can go weeks without eating. Once she is eating that, Increase the amount of new food. With each new food follow this process. The calcium should be a very small punch. I would wait on that until you get her eating other foods.