New leopard tort owner in So Cal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jtort

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
So Cal
Hello!

I have been wanting a tortoise for years and I finally got a leopard tortoise on 07/05/2013. I am super excited and yet at the same time very nervous.

Cloudy is only 3 months old! I have been reading about tortoises for years (ever since I started longing for one) but now that I have now, I am still not sure I know how to care for Cloudy properly. I had been wanting a Sulcata but after years of thinking about it, I don't think our yard is big enough for one. I don't think our yard is small, but I don't think it's big enough either. I think a Leopard is a much better fit for our yard. I think we will probably add another later down the road. Assuming I can learn to take care of Cloudy properly. I will be posting pictures of his house and ask for suggestions/comments because I am PARANOID. I only want the best for Cloudy.

Thanks in advance for all the help I know I will get! :) :tort:

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Hi and welcome! Being nervous, especially after researching, to me is an indicator that you will be a great caretaker for Cloudy. :)

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello and welcome. Click the links in my signature for a whole bunch of info. Its the same care initially for a leopard or a sulcata, BTW.

When its time to add another, add two more, or just leave him alone. Tortoises don't want or need company, and pairs can sometimes be problematic, where small groups are normally fine.

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
Where in so Cal are you? If you are near the Chino area you should come to the next CTTC meeting. It would be nice to have anther leopard owner there!

Heather
Sent from my Android TFO app

Jtort

5 Year Member
So Cal
Team Gomberg said:
Where in so Cal are you? If you are near the Chino area you should come to the next CTTC meeting. It would be nice to have anther leopard owner there!

Heather

It's on the 19th right? I'm in Eastvale (just a few miles east of Chino) :) I really do want to go because I need to learn as much as I can.

kanalomele

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
East Bay area
Good lookin' tort you have there. Welcome to TFO!

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
Jtort you should definitely come! Is at the Chino girl scout house. 730 to 9ish. I'll be there and we can talk leopards if you like :D

Heather

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Ha! Eating ice plant and hibiscus leaves already...

Your tortoise is going to live a long happy life. :)

mchong9606

10 Year Member!
Welcome! Don't be paranoid, just read through Tom's links and you'll be more confident than ever in raising your tort. He's a beauty. Ask questions, everyone is here to help.

Status
Not open for further replies.