New tortoise friend advice

Mak

Location (City and/or State)
Hawaii
Adopted a Hermann’s tortoise found roaming in tropical 65-85f humid climate. We made a 10’ circle enclosure with bask, hill, tunnel, cave. Lots of veggies planted, and if it gets too cold/wet we bring him inside in a cardboard chariot. He still wants to escape! We have had him 2 months but given any chance he will break out like he wants to go home. What do people think? He was likely roaming feral quite awhile and don’t know his age. But has at least a 7” shell. He always heads uphill. Will he ever consider our yard his territory? I feel it would be wrong (and illegal) to release him or give to someone with a glass cage. (Not a native species to Hawaii) thought I should ask people with more knowledge. Thanks!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Did you first try to find the rightful owner? That's the first thing you should have done and if you didn't, you should now.
If the owner isn't found, then it's yours. As you can see, he tries to escape, and that might be how the owners lost him.
An adult needs a minimum of a 4x8 foot enclosure bigger if you can. Shade, water, and all the other things you added to his enclosure can be added to the 4x8 too.
Because he had the taste of endless roaming, he wants it again. Build a large enclosure and eventually he will or should settle in.

Littleredfootbigredheart

UK
Going off what wellington has already said, yes try and find the original owner, if they can’t be found definitely don’t release him, it sounds like you have a little escape artist on your hands, which a lot of our cute little tort friends are lol, hence its super important to provide a secure enclosure, he has that taste for freedom😂but with a big enough space they’ll hopefully settle down for you😊

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
Adopted a Hermann’s tortoise found roaming in tropical 65-85f humid climate. We made a 10’ circle enclosure with bask, hill, tunnel, cave. Lots of veggies planted, and if it gets too cold/wet we bring him inside in a cardboard chariot. He still wants to escape! We have had him 2 months but given any chance he will break out like he wants to go home. What do people think? He was likely roaming feral quite awhile and don’t know his age. But has at least a 7” shell. He always heads uphill. Will he ever consider our yard his territory? I feel it would be wrong (and illegal) to release him or give to someone with a glass cage. (Not a native species to Hawaii) thought I should ask people with more knowledge. Thanks!
Hi!
Are the enclosure walls opaque or meshed? If he sees through he tries to go through. Also he might want to find a safer place (maybe enclosure has not enough deep shade or something). Can you post a photo?

And, of course, after roaming wild for a little he will have this wanderlust. It may take more than 2 months for him to settle down.

Mak

Hawaii
Hi!
Are the enclosure walls opaque or meshed? If he sees through he tries to go through. Also he might want to find a safer place (maybe enclosure has not enough deep shade or something). Can you post a photo?

And, of course, after roaming wild for a little he will have this wanderlust. It may take more than 2 months for him to settle down.

Mak

Hawaii
Trying to figure out how to post a pic! we had a 10-12ft circular rock wall area about 20 inches high that was unused. We blocked the steps with a solid fence, and put ledges over potential escape routes so he can’t see. But he sees me come in and out for feeding and keeps staring at the spot. This dude is smart and I think wanderlust is the perfect word!

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
Ah.. It looks like you can't add photos in "Tortoise Forum Contests" section :)
I'll ask the moderators to move the thread to Introductions to fix the issue with photos.

I eager to see his enclosure :)

Mak

Hawaii
Did you first try to find the rightful owner? That's the first thing you should have done and if you didn't, you should now.
If the owner isn't found, then it's yours. As you can see, he tries to escape, and that might be how the owners lost him.
An adult needs a minimum of a 4x8 foot enclosure bigger if you can. Shade, water, and all the other things you added to his enclosure can be added to the 4x8 too.
Because he had the taste of endless roaming, he wants it again. Build a large enclosure and eventually he will or should settle in.
Yes the lady before tried to locate an owner then homed him for quite awhile -she had another big tortoise (it kept humping him so he needed his own spot) I hope he settles, guess it just takes time. Sometimes he’s happy sometimes sassy what we have built him so far!

Mak

Hawaii
Ah.. It looks like you can't add photos in "Tortoise Forum Contests" section :)
I'll ask the moderators to move the thread to Introductions to fix the issue with photos.

I eager to see his enclosure :)
Let me know I saw the email come through. Thank you!! I appreciate advice since this lil guy might be in my will after all 😊

Mak

Hawaii
Let me know I saw the email come through. Thank you!! I appreciate advice since this lil guy might be in my will after all 😊
I’m not good at forums! I didn’t know it was contests section. I’ll listen to any instructions
im pretty sure I may be responding incorrectly on here as I am not used to forums.
Yes the lady before tried to locate an owner then homed him for quite awhile -she had another big tortoise (it kept humping him so he needed his own spot) I hope he settles, guess it just takes time. Sometimes he’s happy sometimes sassy what we have built him so far!
it was like a 2ft tortoise ours is 8 inches. Guy was pounding him in the ground. We made him a couple hills to get on top! Hawaii will always have feral animal issues due to housing. But we have a yard so I say bring em! I didn’t know I posted on the contest thread but hewlett may win.

Attachments

• IMG_2741.jpeg
    IMG_2741.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 1

Littleredfootbigredheart

UK
So to upload a picture of your enclosure, follow these 2 steps(pic attached)if you already have some photos of it on whatever device you're using click ‘photo library’ then select the photos of your enclosure, if you don’t already have some, select ‘take photo’ and go outside to get some😊

Attachments

• 4A3B57BC-447C-4F9F-A7AC-805DA270DE81.jpeg
    4A3B57BC-447C-4F9F-A7AC-805DA270DE81.jpeg
    84.5 KB · Views: 1

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
I’m not good at forums! I didn’t know it was contests section. I’ll listen to any instructions

im pretty sure I may be responding incorrectly on here as I am not used to forums.

it was like a 2ft tortoise ours is 8 inches. Guy was pounding him in the ground. We made him a couple hills to get on top! Hawaii will always have feral animal issues due to housing. But we have a yard so I say bring em! I didn’t know I posted on the contest thread but hewlett may win.
Don't worry about starting a thread in Contests. This tortoise is definitely a winner :)

I have looked at your profile picture - the enclosure is so good! You can expand it, if possible, and plant some dense bushes - like hibiscus. 75 sq.ft. is a decent size, but Hewlett wants more of that goodness. Perhaps, 150-200 sq.ft. should calm him down.

Mak

Hawaii
So to upload a picture of your enclosure, follow these 2 steps(pic attached)if you already have some photos of it on whatever device you're using click ‘photo library’ then select the photos of your enclosure, if you don’t already have some, select ‘take photo’ and go outside to get some😊
Thank you!
I think I can see some of it in your profile picture? The bit I’m seeing looks really cool!
Yep put in the profile. Ongoing project! lucky I had slow work this month. So been watching him. At first he said NO quit looking at me!! But I see him on the hill basking now that we have more sun.

Littleredfootbigredheart

UK
Thank you!

Yep put in the profile. Ongoing project! lucky I had slow work this month. So been watching him. At first he said NO quit looking at me!! But I see him on the hill basking now that we have more sun.
No problem! Bless him🥰he’s a stunning looking tort!🐢

Mak

Hawaii
a couple better pics I hope. We dug large cinder blocks in and piled rocks around it - found out he had a hard time on the rock. So then we packed it dirt and covered with moss and fern roots-it will look a lot cooler once those grow up.

Attachments

• IMG_1786.jpeg
    IMG_1786.jpeg
    3.2 MB · Views: 1
  • IMG_2946.jpeg
    IMG_2946.jpeg
    3.1 MB · Views: 1
  • IMG_2887.jpeg
    IMG_2887.jpeg
    6.3 MB · Views: 1
  • IMG_2888.jpeg
    IMG_2888.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 2

Mak

Hawaii
He goes on supervised walks in the main yard and always wants in the guinea pig pen. This is what he does when he’s in. Tunneling things he can’t fit in. *its GPS on his shell because we know he is good at escapes* hope this is not inhumane for him it’s just taped on. But you guys let me know?

Attachments

• IMG_2883.jpeg
    IMG_2883.jpeg
    3.6 MB · Views: 1
  • IMG_2882.jpeg
    IMG_2882.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 2
  • IMG_2928.jpeg
    IMG_2928.jpeg
    3.2 MB · Views: 1

Littleredfootbigredheart

UK
Wow! You’ve made a lovely little area for your new friend here! I’m impressed!
I’d probably personally opt to keep him out of the guinea pig pen(adorable btw! I used to have guinea pigs, I loved them!!) because I’m not sure if they can possibly pass things on to one another through faeces, id definitely keep them separate too and id hate to think of one of the nipping the other lol.
As for the tracking, it sounds pretty smart considering your guys history here but I can’t answer to the safety of it, perhaps these guys can answer to that @wellington @Alex and the Redfoot @Tom I’m also not 100% if the moss is ok here, but maybe for the size and landscape of this enclosure it is.
Either way very cool space, well done!😊