Newbie Q's

Status
Not open for further replies.

AgapeMomma

Location (City and/or State)
Spokane, WA
Hi all :) I'm new on the block and am so happy I've found this forum!!

Questions:
Would it be for the best interest of my Russian and Texan to give them their own separate areas in the yard? We have the space and the resources to do so...

My Texan (female) looooves her dandelions. It's all she wants to eat. Does she need an intervention? She also has a couple small dark spots on the top of her shell. Is that a calcium issue? The herb vet said they were soft-ish. Trying to get calcium in her is an uphill battle. How can I help her?

She's also a bit shy... Is that ok? Could my Texan be stressing her out? He's a bit agro so unless they need to be together I think I'm heading to Home Depot today to buy supplies to split them up...

My Russian has had this shell issue since he was brought to me. It's not getting worse but it's not improving... He was found in a construction zone so I don't know his history :( How can I help him?

Oh! And if there is a great Herb Vet in the Eastern WA/Northern ID area, I'd love to have a referral on hand.

Thanks!

11328814_10206834035592771_160496336_n.jpg 11355597_10206834037752825_1338958249_n.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
Firstly, a very warm welcome to the forum.

As for your tortoise being shy, do not worry: torts need TIME and A LOT OF TIME to adapt to: a new place, climate, flat/home, enclosure owner, practically new everything. So, that needn't worry you.

Good luck to you and your tort.

AgapeMomma

Spokane, WA
Firstly, a very warm welcome to the forum.

As for your tortoise being shy, do not worry: torts need TIME and A LOT OF TIME to adapt to: a new place, climate, flat/home, enclosure owner, practically new everything. So, that needn't worry you.

Good luck to you and your tort.

Thank you for the kind words Gillian :)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Yes...it is in the best interest of both your tortoises to have their own yard. Species should not be intermixed. They might make each other sick.

It wouldn't surprise me if your "Texas" tortoise turned out to be a California desert tortoise instead. Texas tortoises USUALLY don't have a nuchal scute. Some do, but often they don't. What I'm talking about:

nuchal scute a.jpg nuchal scute b.jpg nuchal scute c.jpg

The first picture is a young Texas tortoise (Gopherus berlandieri). Note the area right above the head - a space between the scutes on the edge of the carapace, which can also be seen on the next picture of an older Texas tortoise.

The last picture is a young desert tortoise. The nuchal scute is clearly visible on this tortoise.

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
Your Russians shell looks like it just has old wounds. I don't see anything that I think needs attention.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello and welcome.

These might help:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/russian-tortoise-care-sheet.80698/
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/semi-underground-russian-box.98590/

A word of caution: Those ramped water bowls are literally death traps for tortoises. They can flip over and drown in them. I wouldn't use that any more. Terra cotta plant saucers sunk into the ground so the rim is level with the surface work best. Looks like the 8" or 10" size would be best for your tortoises.

AgapeMomma

Spokane, WA
Yes...it is in the best interest of both your tortoises to have their own yard. Species should not be intermixed. They might make each other sick.

It wouldn't surprise me if your "Texas" tortoise turned out to be a California desert tortoise instead. Texas tortoises USUALLY don't have a nuchal scute. Some do, but often they don't. What I'm talking about:

View attachment 133488 View attachment 133489 View attachment 133490

The first picture is a young Texas tortoise (Gopherus berlandieri). Note the area right above the head - a space between the scutes on the edge of the carapace, which can also be seen on the next picture of an older Texas tortoise.

The last picture is a young desert tortoise. The nuchal scute is clearly visible on this tortoise.

Ohhhhhh. Hmmmm... Ya, she doesn't have that space that you are refering too. She's so small though. I was raised with desert tortoises and they were always a lot bigger. If she is a desert tortuga then will she get bigger?

AgapeMomma

Spokane, WA
Hello and welcome.

These might help:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/russian-tortoise-care-sheet.80698/
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/semi-underground-russian-box.98590/

A word of caution: Those ramped water bowls are literally death traps for tortoises. They can flip over and drown in them. I wouldn't use that any more. Terra cotta plant saucers sunk into the ground so the rim is level with the surface work best. Looks like the 8" or 10" size would be best for your tortoises.

Thank you Yvonne. I do stay with them while they are in the water dish but I like your idea too :)

Hi all :) I'm new on the block and am so happy I've found this forum!!

Questions:
Would it be for the best interest of my Russian and Texan to give them their own separate areas in the yard? We have the space and the resources to do so...

My Texan (female) looooves her dandelions. It's all she wants to eat. Does she need an intervention? She also has a couple small dark spots on the top of her shell. Is that a calcium issue? The herb vet said they were soft-ish. Trying to get calcium in her is an uphill battle. How can I help her?

She's also a bit shy... Is that ok? Could my Texan be stressing her out? He's a bit agro so unless they need to be together I think I'm heading to Home Depot today to buy supplies to split them up...

My Russian has had this shell issue since he was brought to me. It's not getting worse but it's not improving... He was found in a construction zone so I don't know his history :( How can I help him?

Oh! And if there is a great Herb Vet in the Eastern WA/Northern ID area, I'd love to have a referral on hand.

Thanks!

View attachment 133482 View attachment 133483
well I can answer one of the question for you which is how to get her to have more calcium, if you go to some pet stores you can get lots of vitamins or powders of some sort which you can sprinkle on food, Also welcome to the forum, I'm new here too and its great for learning new things :)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Old thread - Original poster hasn't been here in awhile.

Status
Not open for further replies.