boomertort

Location (City and/or State)
Florida
Good evening fellow tort parents! Since my last post my little Boomer has been thriving. I have planted a prickly pear cactus, some succulents, and grass in his enclosure. I’ve also bought a humidifier for his cage that I run during the day that keeps the humidity low 90’s to high 80’s. The temp stays around 82 degrees central and low to mid 90’s under his basking lamp. The humidifier blows into his water bowl so the droplets fall into there. Boomer’s shell is nice and smooth plus he has been having healthy growth. However, ever since I installed the humidifier, Boomer has been burrowing to go to bed. Since I’m still new at this, I’m just seeing what this could mean. I see online Leo’s typically don’t burrow and if torts do, they do this to regulate their body temp. Before I had the humidifier, Boomer would sleep in between the grass patches I’ve planted or dig a little bit to make a little substrate pillow. Also, it should be noted the night time temps are consistently high 70’s thanks to my ceramic bulb I installed that is triggered to come on when the temp falls below 80. I know this is a long post but, I just wanted to make sure everything was a-okay with my little buddy! Thanks in advance :)

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Its normal for baby leopards to dig into the substrate a bit.

I would not use a humidifier. I on't like them creating water vapor like that. To keep humidity up, use a closed chamber for an enclosure. This also makes temperature maintenance much easier.