1. Welcome! Are you interested in tortoises? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our community is the #1 place for tortoise keepers to talk online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your tortoise and enclosure, and discuss any tortoise topic with other tortoise keepers. Get started today!

Normal Eating Amount?

Discussion in 'American box turtles' started by Turtmum, Feb 28, 2019.

Help Support Tortoise Forums by donating:

1. Turtmum

Turtmum New Member

Location (City and/or State):
    Canada
    Is it normal for my three toed to eat so little? I don’t know her exact age, but we suspect she’s under a year (maybe 3 inches from the top of her shell to the bottom). I give her a heaping tablespoon of food every second day (50% protein, 50% veg). I have to dig her up normally, and I put her under her light in a tub for 30 mins-1 hr and then soak her in tepid water for about 10-15 mins. I mist the enclosure. Then I place her dish in her hut and place her in front of it, and walk out of sight. I do this every day at 7 am (except food every second day) to try to establish a routine (which I think she’s getting because I’ve come twice in the morning now and her head has been sticking out of the dirt). I hear her eating and see that the food is disturbed (plus she poos in the water) but she only stays at the food for like 2-5 mins and goes and buries in her substrate. She probably only eats a pea sized amount or less. We maybe only disturb her again once a day, so I don’t think we’re over handeling her? She also really likes to eat cuttlebone 1-2 times a week. Am I going about this all wrong?
    Pastel Tortie likes this.
  2. ColleenT

ColleenT Well-Known Member

Lehigh Valley Pa
    (These ads do not appear for registered members.)
    she is eating regularly. That is a good thing. She is tiny. Think of how small her stomach must be. I think if she is continuing to eat and you see proof of that, she is ok.
    Turtmum, Pastel Tortie and Ben02 like this.
  3. Pastel Tortie

Pastel Tortie Well-Known Member Platinum Tortoise Club Tortoise Club

North Florida
    I agree with @ColleenT. Besides, as signs of spring start to show up in Canada, your boxie will probably start eating more and work on growing. That's basically her job right now, when the weather is conducive.
    Turtmum likes this.
  4. Turtmum

Turtmum New Member

Canada
    Wonderful, thanks everyone!
    Pastel Tortie likes this.