Not Exactly What You Want to See When You Reach Down For Your Tort!

Status
Not open for further replies.

JeffG

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Arizona
My leopards have learned that when they see me, there is a good chance that I will have something for them, so generally any time I walk out back they come running. That happened today, and since it had been awhile since I had examined this one closely, I bent down to pick him up when he got to me. At the last second I saw a freakin scorpion on his carapace just before I put my hand there!

I have been stung before, so I know how much it hurts. I'm just glad I saw him in time to avoid that. The tort is acting completely normal too, so I assume he wasn't stung either. No offense to those who keep scorpions as pets, but I hate those dang things. Fortunately there are not too many of them where I live right now. Some places in this area you can find 100 of them in an hour if you go outside at night with a black light.

null-619.jpg

null-925.jpg

samsmom

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
CedarCreekLake, Texas
RE: NNot Exactly What You Want to See When You Reach Down For Your Tort!

that makes me shudder! i don't like them either! btw-beautiful tortoise!

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
Why they eat a lot of what could both your torts and Evan a lot of predictors don't want to mess whith them

ShellyTurtlesCats

5 Year Member
Mesa
Yack! I find them all the time.

I always catch them and pour ACV on them to watch them sting themselves. This is the last I found.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1376880496881.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1376880496881.jpg
    65.9 KB · Views: 135

sunshine_hugs

5 Year Member
Yikes. I don't mind scorpions, but don't want to see them in my house / yard....or on my torts....well, I really don't want to see them at all. That would have totally freaked me out!

Thankfully you weren't stung, and it doesn't sound like your leopard was either (he's beautiful by the way).

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
Yuck. Freaks me out.

I have horrible infestations with brown widow spiders in my tortoise pens and can barely handle killing them.. I couldn't handle scorpions!

Sent from my TFOapp

Sulcata_Sandy

5 Year Member
Pacific NorthWET
My boss had some big giant pet scorpion. She cried when he died. Goofy woman, gotta love hr, but geeeeeeeez.

Sandy in Oregon

No kids, no husband, just critters and I'm happy.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
He had a rider.

Reminds me of the story of the bullfrog and the scorpion...

Glad you saw it before you felt it!

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
If we have scorpions here in the pan handle of Florida, I've never seen on nor would I want to. I guess my babies are lucky to be here instead of there:p

Sh3wulf

5 Year Member
Just had to share. Showed this to a co-worker, not knowing she has a fear of bugs, poor girl got all flushed and had to sit with her head between her knees. Now I feel bad. :(
Many a lesson being learned through this thread; look carefully before picking up tort, don't show scary pics to people without a warning

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Showed this to a co-worker, not knowing she has a fear of bugs, poor girl got all flushed and had to sit with her head between her knees

teehee....I totally understand, but so funny just the same...teeeheee:p

AnnV

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
SWFL
I thought the same thing, Tom. Glad this story had a happier ending!

Ann from CT

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
Remember the " Old Westerns" ...where you would tie one down on each side of the table and ..." arm wrestle" ...:p

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
Yikes Jeff. Good thing you saw him before he stung your tortoise, those things kill tortoises very frequently.

I've seen a lot more this year than any other year, and have heard of a lot more people being stung.

Anthony P

10 Year Member!
Swamps, bogs, and vernal pools
Gross... I would be so skeeved out. I like insects, arachnoides, etc.. But not when they can hurt/kill me or my animals. I still wouldn't want to kill it, but the experience would freak me out.

Status
Not open for further replies.