Not getting any reply from seller

Melissa319

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
outside of Phoenix, AZ
I will definitely keep everyone updated.

Doug and I just compared the photos we were sent and at least one photo is identical between us. My concern level is growing by the minute. The seller is in NY, making it 4:45pm - the tracking # I was sent when I purchased has not been updated with any detail meaning it hasn't shipped.

I believe I will be escalating the claim I've already made via Paypal and am leaning towards encouraging everyone who's sent money to do the same.

@mikeylazer - please PM me if you'd like to compare the photo(s) you've received as well...

mikeylazer

5 Year Member
The only thing that is keeping me hopeful is that he used paypal for the transaction. We can and will get the money returned through payapl which is a benefit, but losing this potential new tortoise is what is devastating. I am waiting to file a claim in hopes that he will arrive tomorrow. I will PM you @Melissa319.

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
This makes me mad as hell! Why do we let people sell stuff on here with no back ground on them . I think you should have at least a year of member ship and one hundred post count . Mods I would remove his sales adds . Maybe that will make him respond.

mikeylazer

5 Year Member
I am afraid for anything drastic to happen yet as far as banning his account seeing that it could scare him away and not send a tortoise he MAY be sending still...

HLogic

5 Year Member
Florida, USA
If it sounds too good to be true, it usually is... I just looked at his ads.

HLogic

5 Year Member
Florida, USA
For those of you waiting for shipments & have tracking numbers, does the tracking info indicate it is originating in NYC?

Melissa319

5 Year Member
outside of Phoenix, AZ
Tracking #'s don't update with origination info until the packages are physically picked up. Mine hasn't shown anything besides "This tracking number cannot be found, please check the number or contact the sender." which is what auto generates up until the package is scanned in by a driver or Fedex employee at a hub.

HLogic

5 Year Member
Florida, USA
Actually, you can get a tracking # (print a shipping label with a #) online or via their app - no package or scanning required. It will say something to the effect of 'shipping information sent to the courier (FedEx/UPS/DHL)'

Melissa319

5 Year Member
outside of Phoenix, AZ
Yes, you can get a tracking number... however the Fedex website doesn't update with any info at all until the package is physically scanned in.
I paid 2/19 and had a tracking # that day. As I said, if you check it on Fedex it says it's not found because the package hasn't been given to Fedex. You can generate a shipping label whenever you want, but can't find any details on where the package is coming from until it's scanned in.

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
If it sounds too good to be true, it usually is... I just looked at his ads.

Good catch. $165 shipped for a 6inch female leopard tortoise with a perfect shell...not likely.

I also PM'd the seller asking for more information. He responded with "email thanks" and that was the end of it.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
@mike taylor we do have a 30 day/30 post rule on for sale ads. besides he hasn't done any wrong yet, also it is real hard to commit fraud with paypal/

Melissa319

5 Year Member
outside of Phoenix, AZ
Unfortunately, if you send payment as Friend/Family, you really have no recourse with Paypal... that's apparently what the seller was requesting. I refused and wasn't questioned, so took that as a good sign. Lesson learned!

Mods - perhaps a sticky can go up in the For Sale section letting everyone know they should NOT complete a transaction using Friends/Family as payment? Sellers request this because Paypal doesn't charge them the transaction fee... but again, no recourse for the buyer if something like this happens.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Myself and another member has sent pm's about tortoises for sale and have not received the info requested, like pictures, I have just recently asked a few members about this person, could he be a scammer. None of us has had personal dealings with him, but with the no response, or nothing that we asked for response, I would not buy from him. His prices are too good to be true. He has way too many species for on person in NY no less and he has miss identified species before.

I would consider him a scammer and do not buy from him.

Hope you can get your money back.

naturalman91

5 Year Member
Medford Oregon
ah dang that's alway's a shot to the chops losing money out right IF he doesn't come through but we do have a trusted breeders list on this site that's where i found mine and should be consulted unless it's a obviously noted trust worthy person

has anyone looked to see if he's posting on fauna to?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I sent him a convo, letting him know that not only did he not reply to you, but that he is not lookng good on this forum, as he is not responding to any of the convo's started, askng about his for sale threads if they are requesting pics or more info.
Hopefully this will get him to either respond if he is legit, or go away if he is a scammer. If you paid through PayPal, you should request a refund ASAP, there has been too much suspicion around this person for some time now.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
ah dang that's alway's a shot to the chops losing money out right IF he doesn't come through but we do have a trusted breeders list on this site that's where i found mine and should be consulted unless it's a obviously noted trust worthy person

has anyone looked to see if he's posting on fauna to?
I have not seen him in the past on there that I can remember. However, he could have different name on there that I,haven't paid attention too. I have been trying to figure this guy out for a while now,

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
165 shipped for a 6 inch leopard? oh man not looking good IMHO.

mikeylazer

5 Year Member
Now I am out of money in the tortoise fund, out of hope, and full embarrassment and despair... If anyone has any leopards that are under 6 inches that they need to re-home or have a few to sell with extra scutes or discounted it would be greatly appreciated... :(