Nutritional profiles of commonly fed greens

Elohi

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Texas
So I just read, yet again, where someone stated that romaine has almost no nutritional value and I wanted to ask why this is said so often? I frequently look up nutritional value for many produce items for my own family and I know that romaine in fact does carry a nutritional punch so I am not sure why it's gets wrapped up with iceberg lettuce as a useless food.
Foods are not required to show the nutrients that are naturally occurring in a food, but are by law required to break down nutrients if they have been added (fortified). Very few packages of leafy greens will show nutritional data. And most produce is sold in open coolers, as you know, no label required.

Here are a couple of examples of nutritional data for some random greens I chose.
The first is for romaine.
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1400007082.293346.jpg

The second is for dandelion greens.
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1400007116.492459.jpg

The third is for escarole.
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1400007153.275511.jpg

I'm pointing this out with full knowledge that we should be feeding a large variety of edible nutritious weeds, grasses, and greens.

Elohi(Earth)

Elohi

5 Year Member
Texas
These screen shots do not capture protein content but if you google and find the nitro all data for any green, the protein is just above the vitamin section.

Elohi(Earth)

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
I love to offer Romaine, red leaf, green leaf lettuce to the torts here....more so the CDTs, it aids in them staying hydrated as well....