Opuntia... tortoise safe?

graciemay98

Location (City and/or State)
OH
Hey guys i bought a Opuntia cactus from Home Depot today thinking they were safe for torts... but when i got home i read Home Depot may or may not use chemicals on their plants... Is this true?
If not- any recommendations on how to prepair this as food for my little baby Sulcata?

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
Sadly, they likely do use chemicals, and you’ll have to repot it in different soil and let it grow for a while. I’ve heard that a year is a safe amount of time.

SweetGreekTorts

Tucson, AZ
They most likely use chemicals so their plants and cacti don't get bugs. I would plant it and let it grow a little before offering any of it to your tortoise.

When it's ready to feed, I always cut it up into smaller pieces that are easier for a baby tortoise to eat. I also put it through the blender for a couple seconds to also chop it up and mush it a little. My babies love it.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Most of the plants grown for sale at the big hardware stores are grown in soil containing systemic pesticides. These pesticides are taken up into the plant's tissues as they grow, but food plants intended for human consumption and the succulents use different soil. I don't know and have never found a definitive answer, but I don't think most cactus growers use those pesticides. I'm not willing to risk it, so I've always collected pads from old mature cactus stands for planting.

Your new pads might be safe, but why take the risk? I'd just order some pads online and plant them yourself. The peace of mind would be worth it to me.

I prepare my cactus pad for feeding by cutting them off and dropping them into the enclosures. I do this for brand new tiny hatchlings, and I do it for adults. I'm afraid they would choke on cut up pieces, but they can't choke on the size pieces they cut out with their own beak.