Outdoor time

ToniMc

Yes a few sunny, warmer days will be very welcome!
I still use a CHE over/near his hide at night because even though the air temp is warm in the house the ground temps are colder. and torts need darkenss to sleep so his lamp would be too stressful.

Is your tort a rescue too?
He is yes he was from sspca --
I've only had hermanns in the past lost my Hermann this year
What is a CHE ? Is that the emitter ?

Lyn W

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
UK
He is yes he was from sspca --
I've only had hermanns in the past lost my Hermann this year
What is a CHE ? Is that the emitter ?
Yes its a ceramic heat emitter - works in a lamp holder like a bulb but only gives heat. Mine is like this,

images

Run through a thermostat it switches itself off and on as needed. Got both from The Range about £55 plus bought a lamp holder/shade for it - another £25. If you hang vertically rather than use clamps its safer.

ToniMc

Yes a few sunny, warmer days will be very welcome!
I still use a CHE over/near his hide at night because even though the air temp is warm in the house the ground temps are colder. and torts need darkenss to sleep so his lamp would be too stressful.

Is your tort a rescue too?
Going to order this
Is this the one I can get 75w or 100 w bulb

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    111.9 KB · Views: 8

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Going to order this
I personally wouldn't uses a clip on as they are likely to fall and be a fire hazard - the hanging ones are better and safer as they spread the heat more if used with a reflector (which looks like a shade). You can also adjust the height better so you don't burn your tort's carapace. I think someone told me no lower than about 10 inches above the shell.
make sure you use a ceramic bulb holder too which is also better for safety as they prevent the CHE/bulb from overheating and burning out.
Some people just use a black bulb which also gives heat without light and are cheaper. Do a search on black bulbs to see what the results throw up from other members.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Going to order this

Looks like that one has a plastic "Bakelite" fixture. This is no good for your purposes. Every fixture needs to have a ceramic base, not the black plastic stuff.

Greg T

10 Year Member!
League City, TX
I think we are going to do the same this winter put him in garage do U have any photos of your garage set up ?

I don't have any photos, but it is simply a rectangle enclosure, started at 8 foot by 8 foot, but now 8 foot by 6 foot because it really blocked my walking path through the garage. I used plywood, and cut the sides at 1 foot high. Screwed them together using a 2x4 board at each corner. I built a 2 foot by 2 foot enclosure in one corner with openings on each side for access and put ceramic heaters inside so it stays nice and warm. The outer portion stays as warm as the garage, which is usually in the low 60's in my area. I put a water bowl and a UVB/heat light in the outer section. I fill it with about 3 inches of soil, which I clean up and throw in the yard each spring. Simple concept but works well. Mine don't dig and they haven't tried to climb the walls either, so this works great for them. I will probably increase the size of the enclosure becaus it is cramped for my three big adults now. They were much smaller when I originally built it.

Greg T

10 Year Member!
League City, TX
Those CHE's discussed above are good, choose the wattage based on the size of your enclosure because they can put out more heat than you need sometimes, especially for smaller enclosures. I have used the clamp-on fixtures like you get at a hardware store and they work okay but will fail after a year because the heat is too much for the plastic switch assembly. Spend the extra bucks and get one with a ceramic base. Also, make sure you have them secured well and consider adding a second method of attachment in case they fall. I zip-tie mine inplace also.

If you have larger torts, keep these things high enough that they are at least 6-8 inches or more from the shell because they can burn themselves if they contact the element or sit too close.

I have bought some cheap ones off ebay and they are working as well as the expensive name-brand ones I bought at the pet store.