Please help identify

Duw

Location (City and/or State)
Georgetown, Guyana
I found this guy on my street they're not native to my area and I've had him almost a week now and I'd like to know what it is as I may like to keep it

Attachments

• 1630957015495510656327.jpg
    1630957015495510656327.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 63

zovick

10 Year Member!
I found this guy on my street they're not native to my area and I've had him almost a week now and I'd like to know what it is as I may like to keep it
I can't see the pattern very well, but it looks as though this turtle could be one of the Rhinoclemmys species, possibly R. punctularia.

Their known home range includes your area if I am not mistaken. Here is the range quoted from the Reptile Database:

E Colombia, Venezuela, Trinidad, Tobago, Guyana, French Guiana, Suriname, NE Brazil (Tocantins, Pará, Amazon, Bahia, Maranhão, as far upstream as the lower reaches of the Tapajós river, Rio de Janeiro)

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
I can't see the pattern very well, but it looks as though this turtle could be one of the Rhinoclemmys species, possibly R. punctularia.

Their known home range includes your area if I am not mistaken. Here is the range quoted from the Reptile Database:

E Colombia, Venezuela, Trinidad, Tobago, Guyana, French Guiana, Suriname, NE Brazil (Tocantins, Pará, Amazon, Bahia, Maranhão, as far upstream as the lower reaches of the Tapajós river, Rio de Janeiro)
I agree with Zovick it's definitely one of the Rhinoclemmys, and native to your area.

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
Rhinoclemmys punctularia. Spot-legged Turtle. Very distinctive red pattern on the top of head. Native to your area as well.