Urgent: Please help me identify!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Apple Valley, California
Lurking here.... ( i never get a chance to say that :p) this thread is getting fun.....whoda thunk it :p

Neal got smacked....LMAO

tyler0912

5 Year Member
Blackburn, U.K.
Now...Now Everyone....
I'm young and i behave better than you hooligans... ;)
I hope Neal is okay? :)

Neltharion

10 Year Member!
Northern California
ascott said:
Maybe a Map Turtle of some sort...I recall something about that ridge down the shell? You may want to wait a bit to get others opinions/id...but it does need to be able to swim....and you may likely not want to be feeding it tomatos....maybe offer it a nightcrawler worm or the like....In my humble opinion :)

I tend to agree with Angela. It might be a common Map, Graptemys geographica.

commonmap.jpg

bikerchicspain

5 Year Member
spain
it looks like it could be a phseudemys or even a graptemys pseudogeographica kohnii of some sort!

it looks like it could be a phseudemys or even a graptemys pseudogeographica kohnii of some sort! but i think its either a Cuora or even a chinemys
:D:D:D

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
Well, the OP appears to be from India. So, Map turtles are out, since they are US native. Based on the OP's location, I am 100% sure that it is a Cuora amboinensis. It is NOT keeled enough to be a Roof turtle, Spotted Pond, Indian Black turtle, or Tricarinate Hill turtle, and too keeled to be a Indian Leaf turtle. I win, lol. ;)

grogansilver

5 Year Member
Its called a North American Wood Turtle and its not a hatchling but it is a juvie!

Its called a North American Wood Turtle and its not a hatchling but it is a juvie! YOU can find them in the turtle source on kingsnake.com its under Hypo-Pastel North American Wood Turtle! their very expensive almost 3,000 a piece, don't you dare release it! thats a gift from nature to find that, its up to you! :)

grogansilver

5 Year Member
Kristina I'm sorry to offend you i didn't mean it in any way! but how does a Russian Tortoise who comes from Russian find its way to Indian also which I'm sure their also there too.

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
The op FOUND this turtle. It wasn't something they bought. I am not offended, but I am sorry, what you are saying makes NO sense.

I am pretty dang sure there is no wild population of North American Woods in India! However, the turtle that *I* mentioned is native. So, what makes more sense here, honestly!!!

grogansilver

5 Year Member
Kristina heres your turtle! it is Okinawa Yellow Pond Turtle, Mauremys mutica kami. here's the photo this settles all of this! :)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I'll never understand why someone comes on the forum...posts ONE thread...labels it URGENT...than never comes back ever again to read the comments or help they were given. Is this called "trolling?"

fbsmith3

5 Year Member
Worcester, MA
This person only posted once. How did you guys figure out he is from India. I'm just curious.

Also I'd really like Louis_tortoise to post again

grogansilver

5 Year Member
emysemys what about me i made one mistake she jumps on me she has 9 stars which is awesome don't get me wrong but i came onto help and i felt targeted! for just helping. Well i know I'm not perfect and i can be short tempered too if striked at but Dam i think i got this one correct on the species!!! what do you think? :) hay guess what by the way soon their mine i have 2.2 pairs of Adult Pancake tortoises soon to be on the way shoooo :) plus my new construction will be under way for next spring i put it in Enclosures.

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
I am not jumping on you. I am simply stating that I *know* what this turtle is, and everyone keeps making mis-identifications. It is not a Mauremys mutica kami, because those come from Japan. Also, if you look at the plastron of a Mauremys mutica kami, it does not match the photo that the OP posted.

I raised a Malayan box turtle from hatchling to adult. I sold her about ten years ago, but I remember vividly what she looked like.

I am not trying to be rude or "target" anyone, but throwing out misinformation does nothing to help, I'm sorry. You are wrong on this one. I may be wrong as well, but I am 99.9% positive I am correct based on my experience with this species. My identification does not come from googling and guessing, but from knowledge I already have.

I know that the OP is from India because my 9 stars mean that I am a TFO moderator, and I have the ability to look at posters IP addresses. I ran a search on the IP address and India is where it originates from.

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth
I will always be envious of those of us that can glance at a picture and immediately know what species the turtle/tortoise is or what type of plant something is.

All I can say is that I'm pretty sure it's not a sulcata or a leopard. :)

grogansilver

5 Year Member
Kristina Hay im happy you found the answer to your post question i just thought i could help, peace!! Bye.

EricIvins

5 Year Member
It's not anything American, nor is it an Amboinensis, or Cuora/Cistoclemmys for that matter..........

It's a Cyclemmys, probably C. Gemeli ( Indian Leaf Turtle )

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
jaizei said:
I will always be envious of those of us that can glance at a picture and immediately know what species the turtle/tortoise is or what type of plant something is.

All I can say is that I'm pretty sure it's not a sulcata or a leopard. :)

LOL!! By jove, I think your right!!!

fbsmith3

5 Year Member
Worcester, MA
Great we have it identified and the silly newbie never came back. I don't think he understood the word "urgent". Thought it was a clear and easy to understand word. I wonder what he got it confused with.

bikerchicspain

5 Year Member
spain
EricIvins said:
It's not anything American, nor is it an Amboinensis, or Cuora/Cistoclemmys for that matter..........

It's a Cyclemmys, probably C. Gemeli ( Indian Leaf Turtle )

The shell still looks to rounded on the edges to be a leaf turt, i am still with Kristina on this..:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.