Location (City and/or State)
Pennsylvania
My tortoises shell has been roughed up since the day I got her and Ive always been cautious of it and I just noticed some things that I really don’t like and I’m panicking bc something isn’t right. Please give all advice and help me with what this might be. I’m super worried about my babe. Like I said it’s been roughed up since the beginning but now I’m beginning to think it might be shell rot? If so what do I do?? Also what in the heck is that spot right in the middle!!!??? Please help! I’m worried I’m going to need to take her to a vet and I’m afraid it’s going to be bad. Thank you anyone who can help I really appreciate it

EDFD4949-BB8C-4FBE-B8B8-A8B9603D20BE.jpeg

crimson_lotus

10 Year Member!
Massachusetts
What a strange spot...it doesnt look like its taken any recent damage, so I wonder how long it's been there. If I were you I would take a flashlight to it and see what's behind it. If it was impact damage at some point it might have already healed, but can't tell without taking a look. Could possibly be the effect of shell rot? Hopefully some others more experienced will have more info for you.

Pennsylvania
What a strange spot...it doesnt look like its taken any recent damage, so I wonder how long it's been there. If I were you I would take a flashlight to it and see what's behind it. If it was impact damage at some point it might have already healed, but can't tell without taking a look. Could possibly be the effect of shell rot? Hopefully some others more experienced will have more info for you.
Do you think any of those other discolorations could be shell rot? And the big spot has been there for a decent amount of time? I’ve been watching it and nothing has changed but my anxiety is getting to me and I’m really worried I’m doing something wrong somehow. I know I should’ve posted sooner about it but yeah. I’ve tried with a flashlight but I don’t really see anything? It’s really just like that spot somehow protruded. But I have absolutely no idea how it happened. She has never been in a situation taht she would have somehow hurt herself or been hurt so the only thing I can think is shell rot or some kind of fungus

crimson_lotus

10 Year Member!
Massachusetts
Do you think any of those other discolorations could be shell rot? And the big spot has been there for a decent amount of time? I’ve been watching it and nothing has changed but my anxiety is getting to me and I’m really worried I’m doing something wrong somehow. I know I should’ve posted sooner about it but yeah. I’ve tried with a flashlight but I don’t really see anything? It’s really just like that spot somehow protruded. But I have absolutely no idea how it happened. She has never been in a situation taht she would have somehow hurt herself or been hurt so the only thing I can think is shell rot or some kind of fungus

for the white spots it could possibly be shell rot. when you touch them, are the spots soft at all?

if there is shell behind that one piece of weird looking shell, I would be relieved. At least the area is not an open wound.

Is it possible the tortoise was wild caught or did you raise it as a baby? How do you keep him (enclosure temps, substrate, food)?

Pennsylvania
for the white spots it could possibly be shell rot. when you touch them, are the spots soft at all?

if there is shell behind that one piece of weird looking shell, I would be relieved. At least the area is not an open wound.

Is it possible the tortoise was wild caught or did you raise it as a baby? How do you keep him (enclosure temps, substrate, food)?
It is somewhat open which is what scares me but I don’t see anything behind it if that makes sense. I’m sure it was wild caught. I git her from my local petstore almost 3 years ago now. It is a really good pet store (not petco or anything) she has a big enclosure with a dark hide and she also has her uvb and heat lights. Coconut coir substrate. And for food I switch up the greens I give her and I try to occasionally throw in some different fruits and veggies and I dust it all with calcium powder

Pennsylvania
It is somewhat open which is what scares me but I don’t see anything behind it if that makes sense. I’m sure it was wild caught. I git her from my local petstore almost 3 years ago now. It is a really good pet store (not petco or anything) she has a big enclosure with a dark hide and she also has her uvb and heat lights. Coconut coir substrate. And for food I switch up the greens I give her and I try to occasionally throw in some different fruits and veggies and I dust it all with calcium powder
Also those spots are not soft

crimson_lotus

10 Year Member!
Massachusetts

the substrate in the background looks pretty dry so I am wondering if what we see is damage from being in the wild

Pennsylvania
the substrate in the background looks pretty dry so I am wondering if what we see is damage from being in the wild
It is dry. I hope so but I hope taht it’s nothing problematic. I really do try to give her good care and I would hate to see something wrong with her and have it be my fault

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Have you only noticed this recently or is it something that has got worse?
Maybe @Yvonne G can help.

Blackdog1714

5 Year Member
Richmond, VA
Please soak your tort at least 30 minutes a day in warm (95 degree) water daily. After 3 days recheck the spot. Please change the substrate ASAP- shells and plastrons are hard but rocks are harder and will scratch and damage them. Please read the following care guide. Russians do not need high humidity like redfoots or Burmese, but they do nned some humidity (40%) and those rocks wick water away way to fast also.

Yossarian

5 Year Member
Wales
So clearly there appears to be a puncture in your torts plastron. Is the thing in the middle of the hole secure or can you move it around or remove it? can you see in the hole at all? is there shell underneath or is it bone? Maybe @Tom or @zovick or @Yvonne G will have seen something like this but I have not. Doesnt look too good though.

Pennsylvania
So clearly there appears to be a puncture in your torts plastron. Is the thing in the middle of the hole secure or can you move it around or remove it? can you see in the hole at all? is there shell underneath or is it bone? Maybe @Tom or @zovick or @Yvonne G will have seen something like this but I have not. Doesnt look too good though.
It doesn’t move at all. It’s just dark behind it I don’t see anything

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Ok, here's what I would do. If you're not comfortable doing it, then take the tortoise to the vet:

Try to pick off that part in the middle of the shell. Then take a stiff toothbrush and scrub the whole plastron under running water. You're not going to hurt the tortoise, scrub to get all the loose particles off. Then dry her well and coat the plastron with a thin layer of athlete's foot cream.

Actually this all looks like old stuff, not something caused by you, but the treatment I've described above won't harm the tortoise.

This tortoise isn't a baby and there's no need to keep in on moist substrate. You can add a little water to the enclosure, just enough to keep it a LITTLE moist under the top layer, but mostly you want a dry substrate.

Pennsylvania
Ok, here's what I would do. If you're not comfortable doing it, then take the tortoise to the vet:

Try to pick off that part in the middle of the shell. Then take a stiff toothbrush and scrub the whole plastron under running water. You're not going to hurt the tortoise, scrub to get all the loose particles off. Then dry her well and coat the plastron with a thin layer of athlete's foot cream.

Actually this all looks like old stuff, not something caused by you, but the treatment I've described above won't harm the tortoise.

This tortoise isn't a baby and there's no need to keep in on moist substrate. You can add a little water to the enclosure, just enough to keep it a LITTLE moist under the top layer, but mostly you want a dry substrate.
Is the hole a problem tho? Will pulling that off make it worse and will the hole go away? I really appreciate your response

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Is the hole a problem tho? Will pulling that off make it worse and will the hole go away? I really appreciate your response
You don't know until you remove the chunk and take a good look inside. That chunk is never going to reattach, might as well remove it.

crimson_lotus

10 Year Member!
Massachusetts
:) keep us updated! I figure that one piece of shell wasn't doing a great job protecting what's behind it to begin with, so removing it won't do any additional harm