Poor Misty. . .

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Misty is an 80lb, appx. 4 year old Doberman. She's not overweight, she's just big. She's a house dog and only goes outside when I do, but she gets plenty of exercise.

Misty started showing signs of discomfort in her hip area a year or so ago and I took the advice of several members here to get her started on MSM, vitamin C, Turmeric and I added Cosequin about 6 months later. The treatment worked and she was much more comfortable, showing no signs of limping, etc.

A couple weeks ago she started having difficulty getting up and then held her back leg up until she was up and moving around for a minute or two.

Sunday I was taking my laps in the pasture (I walk a mile, around and around 10 times) and while I was walking I notice Misty sort of crouching down and staring at me (her I want to play mode), so I clapped my hands at her and halfway chased her. She ran around and around like a crazy person, just having the best time. We did that for only a couple minutes, then I had to get back into my walk.

The next day she could hardly get out of bed. And had a terrible time positioning herself to squat to poop or pee. She was a three-legged dog all day, and great difficulty getting up from laying down. Today is no different.

I had no idea a little 'fun' would incapacitate her so badly. Needless to say, we won't be doing that again.

It's terribly hard to get her into my truck. Nothing at all easy about it. So if I go through that bad hassle of pushing, shoving, halfway lifting, putting up the front feet which come right down when I go to lift the back feet. . . if I go through all that and take her to the vet, is there really anything he can do for her? Or does she just have to live with the pain?

Misty's hip a.jpg Misty's Hip c.jpg

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
if she's in pain they may be able to prescribe some pain medicine for her

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Depends. It could now be her knee. It could be operated on. I would try to get a few pounds off her. But, yes, I would take her in. Find out for sure what it is, hip or knee and see what the options are. There may be some meds that would work better then what you have already done or work with them.

MPRC

5 Year Member
Oregon
My vets that I worked with swear by this supplement: http://www.dasuquin.com/en/products/#dog - They also make an over the counter human version that goes by Cosamin ASU that can be purchased at Costco (and maybe other places) Since misty is so large you may be able to dose her with the human variety which costs less since it is not formulated into a beef flavored chewable.

Also re: getting her into the car to go to the vet, some dogs will use a ramp if it is stable, so you may want to explore that option. We used to have a client with a Pyrenees mix who weighed nearly 200lbs, the owner actually got a handicap style lift for the dog when he got old and he would go up and down on it. For the sake of my back I was wishing we had that feature on our exam tables!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Depends. It could now be her knee. It could be operated on. I would try to get a few pounds off her. But, yes, I would take her in. Find out for sure what it is, hip or knee and see what the options are. There may be some meds that would work better then what you have already done or work with them.

I s'pose he could take an X-ray. Funny thing. I've been going to this vet for 30 years. . . first his dad and now the son. Same building. Reasonable prices. A really good guy and he knows his stuff. BUT, he doesn't have an X-ray machine.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
My vets that I worked with swear by this supplement: http://www.dasuquin.com/en/products/#dog - They also make an over the counter human version that goes by Cosamin ASU that can be purchased at Costco (and maybe other places) Since misty is so large you may be able to dose her with the human variety which costs less since it is not formulated into a beef flavored chewable.

Also re: getting her into the car to go to the vet, some dogs will use a ramp if it is stable, so you may want to explore that option. We used to have a client with a Pyrenees mix who weighed nearly 200lbs, the owner actually got a handicap style lift for the dog when he got old and he would go up and down on it. For the sake of my back I was wishing we had that feature on our exam tables!

She probably would get in on her own if she weren't so afraid of it. She's scared to death of the truck. As soon as I click the garage door opener, she runs and hides behind the house until she realizes I'm not going to put her in the truck.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I'll call the vet tomorrow and see if there's anything he can do to figure out where the pain is or if he's bought an X-ray machine yet. I'd just hate to go through the rigmarole of trying to get her into the truck only to get there (which she's afraid of too) and find out he can't do anything about it.

Come to think of it, it might be the knee cap thing, huh?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I s'pose he could take an X-ray. Funny thing. I've been going to this vet for 30 years. . . first his dad and now the son. Same building. Reasonable prices. A really good guy and he knows his stuff. BUT, he doesn't have an X-ray machine.
If it's her knee, he would be able to feel it without an X-ray. Luxating patella is what I'm thinking. Google it. You could actually feel for it, but it's kinda gross the way you move it to feel it. At least it grosses me out and I don't get grossed out by animal stuff. It might have been cuz it was the love of my life that had it and that I was feeling it on. Always harder when it's your own.
I think it would be worth the trip though.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Oops...time for Jeopardy! I'll see you all in the a.m. And thanks for your help with Misty.

Meganolvt

Michigan
It really could be an ACL tear. It can be diagnosed without xray, but really, I'm surprised there is a vet out there without xray. So much gets diagnosed with xrays! ACL tears can be medically managed without surgery (if absolutely necessary) but it involves pain meds and antiiflammatories, and many weeks of serious exercise restriction. Also laser therapy does wonders for pain and arthritis in hips and knees. You should consider looking for a vet with a class 4 laser. Good luck to your baby.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
It really could be an ACL tear. It can be diagnosed without xray, but really, I'm surprised there is a vet out there without xray. So much gets diagnosed with xrays! ACL tears can be medically managed without surgery (if absolutely necessary) but it involves pain meds and antiiflammatories, and many weeks of serious exercise restriction. Also laser therapy does wonders for pain and arthritis in hips and knees. You should consider looking for a vet with a class 4 laser. Good luck to your baby.

Thank you. I hate that she's in pain, but I'm going to have to wait until Saturday when my daughter's off work, so she can help me get Misty into my truck.

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Very sorry to hear about poor Misty, Yvonne.
Wishing her all the best and for what it's worth, the vet visit is what i'd do.

Lemonade

5 Year Member
I'm so sorry to hear about Misty. Have you done much google searches? That is where I have obtained a lot of information that has helped my Walker.

GingerLove

5 Year Member
I'm so sorry about your dog's limp, Yvonne. I'll be praying for a miracle. I hope you can get her to the vet. Is there any kind of surgery that may cure her leg?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I went through the rigamarole of getting her into the truck, drove all the way to the vet (about a half hour away) got her out of the truck and went up to the door. The sign on the door said he's on vacation and won't be back until after Christmas. You should have seen me trying to get her back into the truck all by myself. But it was a bit easier. She must be getting used to it. I was even able to get most of her up onto the seat for the ride home.

After a few days she started bearing more weight on the leg, but she still has a hard time getting up and down, and is three-legged for a few minutes after having been laying down.

I may still take her to the vet, just to see if he might be able to tell me where it's hurting - hip, leg, foot???

mark1

5 Year Member
ohio
finding the source should be discernable through a physical exam , are there any orthopedic vets in your area ? if it's her knee , it can be treated surgically , you'd need an orthopedic vet for that , or crating her , you could google acl tears in dogs and find lots of folks methods who have successfully gotten their dogs through it without surgery ..... if it's her hip , rehab , crating , no running , short walks , gradually becoming longer walks , and then walks up hills ..... rimadyl will help alleviate the discomfort better than anything else I've ever used , it's a script , it carpofen in people meds .......... as for getting her in the truck , try a sling , she'll need to be able to get her front feet up , but you'll be able to take the weight off her rear to where she can easily do it with even one leg , I've used a jacket or sweatshirt before , the real thing is easier to use .....

41cQJ4toLRL._SY300_.jpg

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
My cousins cocker hurt her leg bad, sounds like what Misty did. She took her to the vet. Surgery was recommended. My cousin could not afford it. The vet told her to baby her, carry her up and down stairs, don't let her jump up etc. it took a while, few months, but it worked. I know you can't carry Misty, but if you can keep her from running, jumping, etc, use a no jump collar if needed and I like what Mark1 post a pic of to help lift Misty on what ever you let her get up on, or build her stairs and baby it along further then you have, you just might be able to get it to where a vet visit isn't needed. It won't be 100% but even a surgery doesn't give them that, specially if it's her ACL. I would still start on the cosequin or any of them listed and continue for life.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Oh, I wouldn't do the patella surgery if that's what it is. Mine did find without her's, both back legs having it. The ACL, well spent big bucks for that dog, my Bull Terrier I have now, to have the extensive surgery to give her 90% normal. Yeah, lucky if she's 75% and if she plays hard one day, the rest of that day and the next she can barely lift her leg stair height. I do think you should find out what it is, patella, ACL or hip, but getting her on the low side of her preferred weight and some more babying and baby aspirin or a pain med when she over does it might be the better money spent.