Pork and Potatoes are not good for you...

Status
Not open for further replies.

IRTehDuckie

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Utica. MI
I know this is going to sound a little drastic.. but bare with me on this one, and maybe you should try it for yourself (sorry about the long post but i promise its going to be interesting, and im not preaching about not eating meat, cuz i love me some meat!)

There are things in this world that we shouldn't eat. Society has been eating pork and potatoes for a VERY long time, and growing up on them in Michigan was fine, I felt fine and grew up fine, I was a bit of a heavy kid and so was my husband James. I didn't think anything of it really, until I was 18 years old, living in North Carolina weighing almost 300lbs. At 18 years old. I decided this was absolutely horrible for me to have done this to myself, for me not to have cared what went into my body, so me and James did some research to get ourselves healthier. James has Fibromyalgia, Bipolar, MS, and Gastroenteritis. I constantly had stomach problems, sharp pains, that I was too scared to go get diagnosed.

He read up that pork may cause Gastroenteritis, so he stopped eating it, and he realized that he was losing a little weight, and his stomach problems were getting a little better too. I stopped drinking pop/coke (whichever you call it) and I lost 50lbs just by doing that, not joking. Completely cutting it out of my diet. Also, I stopped eating pork and realized that my stomach problems have also decreased drastically. So with our stomach problems getting better, we went to dinner with his mother and we had pork for dinner. Within 30 minutes me and James both were severely sick, vomiting and running to the bathroom every 15 minutes it seemed. We thought maybe it wasn't cooked right, so we had it again, we cooked it ourselves to make sure it was done, and the same thing happened. Within 30 minutes we were back to being severely sick. Yersiniosis is a disease caused form bacteria found in pork, is mostly overlooked as a bad stomach ache, or appendicitis. So reading about that, we don't eat pork anymore. People who do eat a lot of pork don't have as severe side effects as we did, but they will often get stomach cramps and things like that. We just don't eat pork anymore, or rarely eat any red meats but still have our steak! :D

We started eating very healthy and growing our own veggies and fruits, which we currently still do. Being on a tort form, I have a Tortoise, my dear lil man Ted. (attached pic) and we like to grow things that we all can eat, like radishes, James loves them and Ted loves the tops. We go through a lot of potatoes and I WAS feeding Ted the potato leaves... until i did some reading up. Potato is part of the Nightshade family, or Solanaceae. Most species in that family are poisonous, not only for torts or animals, but for people too. The potato has glycoalkaloids which is poisonous to humans and animals, and in high quantities can sometimes be fatal (certain ones, not all). Being poisoned by potatoes.. the side effects are often misdiagnosed by doctors to be gastroenteritis, which a lot of people have. Because people eat SO MANY potatoes on a daily basis, the side effects are minimal, same as pork, to almost non existent, but because every body reacts differently some people would react differently. I always heard that the green part of the potato is poisonous and will kill you if you eat it. I always thought that was a joke, well it's not THAT bad, but it can make you sick. The green part of the actual potato and the stems and the leaves hold 80% of Solanine (which are the glycoalkaloids) Potatoes are screened to see how much Solanine they contain before they are shipped out as produce, and if they have under a certain amount, it is O.K. for them to be consumed.

I think everybody grew up on potatoes, you can make almost ANYTHING out of a freakin' potato, so of course people are going to eat the crap out of it, I know my family did. Same with pork, Everybody eats it, so nobody really notices the side effects.. but if yous top for a while, and start eating it again.. you can really notice it.

I'm not preaching or anything, just sharing some thoughts, I've told my friends and family but they dont seem to want to try just to see.. If i could show one person the same thing as me and James are going through, then i would be happy knowing I helped ONE person, So I'm going to share it here..

Again sorry this was so long, but its something really dramatic that changed our lives, helped our stomach problems, and now mine are completely gone. Just giving some insight, if anybody has any thoughts/opinions/suggestions/ or anything really, just post! :D

oh and heres Ted.. haha
PB290127.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I'm one of those people that eat lots of both. I have my whole life. So far so good. No health problems at all. I will keep an open mind about it though. Thanks for the info.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Interesting. I don't like pork that much, but do eat it once in a while. I will record the next time I have it. Then I will try and wait a month or so before I have it again and see what happens. Would a month you think be long enough. I k ow there are times something I have eaten bothers my stomach. I blame it on either the onions or garlic. My be it's neither. Hmmmm
BTW I grew up in Michigan too. :D

NudistApple

5 Year Member
Pittsburgh, PA
I'm not a meat eater, so I can't speak to the pork, but I do know that I feel a lot better physically when I limit most starches (not just potatoes).

I kind of doubt the poison has anything to do with it, we are after all very big monkeys with big adaptive monkey stomachs, but it's a lot of empty calories, and it's better to avoid that in general.

[RIP daily pasta, how I miss you]

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I don't eat much pork...every so often a bit of pork in my fried rice. But I do love me some potatoes!! Gimme those fried, scalloped, mashed...m-m-m-m, yah...MASHED!!! with country gravy. Getting hungry just thinking about it.

I have IBS and I just wonder if it might have to do with what I eat. It acts up when I eat, no matter what, just when. But I'm too old to change my eating habits now.

Thanks for the warning. I'm glad that its working out for you and hubby. He has enough problems to worry about without the food problem too. My grand daughter is in the process of being diagnosed with either bi-polar or schizophrenia. Not fun at all.

Kerryann

5 Year Member
West Bloomfield MI
I don't eat any meat but I have never really eaten pork. I don't see why it would be any better or worse than beef though? I eat potatoes as part of a well balanced diet and I don't have any issue with them. I almost died from a rare heart condition in 2005, and now my heart is in the 99th percentile. I think no matter what you eat it should be in moderation. I was also born and raised in Michigan. :D

IRTehDuckie

5 Year Member
Utica. MI
Lol cool to hear some of you guys are from michigan :D and im not saying everybody is supposed to have these issues, because i know we are all very different when it comes to reactions with certain things around us.. and commenting on NudistApple, i know we are a species that are born to adapt to different things, which i find remarkable in the fact that we HAVE to adapt to eat pork and things of that sort. and i LOVE mashed potatoes, but i just want to see what will happen if i stop eating them for a while, and start up again, because my body will get used to not having those things on an almost daily basis, so it will be exciting to see what happens, and i will keep updated about what does happen when i start eating them again lol.

I'm sure that there are tons of things out there like this, just these 2 i know for sure, from my own experience.
Its really quite amazing what our bodies are capable of doing. =]

A month should be long enough, i dunno really, we havent eaten any since about august haha

mira_kaylee

5 Year Member
Mid-Missouri
pork and potatoes are my "grains" section of the food pyramid XD in my opinion, as long as you get the vitamins that you need and work off what you don't need then you have to actually work to be unhealthy.

DanaLachney

5 Year Member
We don't eat much pork either except for bacon :D but any form of pork including bacon does not agree with our stomach because we don't eat it on a regular basis. Now potatoes on the other hand YUM love me some potatoes and could never give them up lol :D :D

Angi

5 Year Member
La Mesa, CA.
Interesting. I am not a big fan of pork, but make it maybe twice a month for my husband and once in a while it would smell really good so I would eat some and noticed that I got really bad stomach problems about half the time. Well I haven't made the mistake of eating much pork for a long time now. I have not had any problems with potatoes nor have I heard of anyone else having a potatoe problem.
Do you think it could be too much potatoe toppings? Almonds and walnuts are a great alternative to meat. I do eat meat, but I don't care for it that much

Kerryann

5 Year Member
West Bloomfield MI
It's funny because when I tell people I am allergic to pork they look at me like I am crazy. The allergist says it is a common allergy so I wonder if that is why it doesn't agree with so many people. When I was younger if I got into pork it would give me a headache and a stomach ache, but now it makes me anaphylactic.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Interesting. I am glad I have no problem with pork, even tho I only mainly eat it three months a year and then lots of it. :D Would hate to think of having to not have my bacon/tomato summer time pig out fest. :( Otherwise I am more the beef and taters type.

IRTehDuckie

5 Year Member
Utica. MI
Angi said:
Interesting. I am not a big fan of pork, but make it maybe twice a month for my husband and once in a while it would smell really good so I would eat some and noticed that I got really bad stomach problems about half the time. Well I haven't made the mistake of eating much pork for a long time now. I have not had any problems with potatoes nor have I heard of anyone else having a potatoe problem.
Do you think it could be too much potatoe toppings? Almonds and walnuts are a great alternative to meat. I do eat meat, but I don't care for it that much

I dont think its the toppings, because i rarely eat my potatoes with toppings, i love how they taste plain haha, and i dont really think anybody would have a potato problem because we eat them so often, our bodies do adapt to them.. the potato part of the post was just saying that it IS part of that family, and i wonder what would happen if we stopped eating them for a while and started again, would our bodies react badly to the potato and the poison it has inside of it? was just an experiment sort of thing, which im going to try.. i havent had any potatoes in a few days, and i dont think im going to for a long time, because i really do wanna see what would happen if our bodies cleansed itself of the potato poison, and we re-introduced it.

Kerryann said:
It's funny because when I tell people I am allergic to pork they look at me like I am crazy. The allergist says it is a common allergy so I wonder if that is why it doesn't agree with so many people. When I was younger if I got into pork it would give me a headache and a stomach ache, but now it makes me anaphylactic.

thats so funny that you say that (not laughing at you, but at your doc) because mine said the same thing when i told them about how pork makes me sick.. and you rarely ate pork before that? thats awesome. (sorry this is really interesting to me =x) Maybe we are ALL allergic to pork, but since we have it in our system so much, our 'allergy' to pork doesn't give as big of a reactions as us who dont eat a lot of it... Like somebody HIGHLY allergic to dogs and cats (like me, sadly i am allergic to ANYTHING with fur and feathers, which is why i love my reptiles sooo much :3) but I have always been severely allergic to cats and dogs, but i have also been around them all of my life, and my allergies werent so bad. when i moved away from my house for a year and a half, cam back my allergies were sooo bad that i had to sleep out in our camper for a few months until i 'got used' to the dog and cats again. I think pork is the same way, and possibly potatoes.

Status
Not open for further replies.