Pretend Chat 2.14

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Kingman, Arizona
The challenge will be when she's large. At this stage, I have to figure she won't find her heated house on her own which then will involve be outing her inside. When she's 90+ lbs. this maybe a challenge for me.

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
I tend not to put the food in the same location. I won't see any of the 3 inside there, then I'll feed the pancakes and watch them for a minute, look back at the babies food and all three will be munching away. I figure it's smell localizing. As for the water dish, she finds that fine every day and soaks, drinks, and craps just like the others.

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
Okay talking from the blind perspective here, as long as you don't move her furniture around she should be just fine learning her environment, even if it is large. I know tortoises don't have "ears" but they do respond to sound. As well as vibration. If you always made some sort of sound every single time you came to her she would learn to recognize it as you. She would also know your smell. One member said she could call her tortoises out of there hides by slapping a flip-flop on the ground. Something like that could work well. I agree that she would not be safe around other tortoises but as long as she had an enclosure by herself she should be okay. she will probably always need a little more supervision than the others but not as much as you are anticipating.