Pretend Chat 2.14

theguy67

10 Year Member!
It was nice and warm today, mid 70s, so I opened the door to the outside and allowed the torts to spend the day grazing. I went to go collect them, and one female is digging a nest! Or, at least, thats what I assume she's doing. She's high on her front legs, digging a hole with her back feet. I've never seen a tortoise dig a nest in person, but have seen a red-eared slider so I assume it will be similar? Guess I'll go check youtube!

Never have I been able to collect the eggs so soon. Lets hope she lays something!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
It was quite nice here today too. It was cloudy and not very sunny, but no wind and the temperature was mighty comfy.

When my tortoises lay at inopportune times (too cold) I position a wire chair over her and affix a light to the chair so it shines down on her to keep her warm.

theguy67

10 Year Member!
It was quite nice here today too. It was cloudy and not very sunny, but no wind and the temperature was mighty comfy.

When my tortoises lay at inopportune times (too cold) I position a wire chair over her and affix a light to the chair so it shines down on her to keep her warm.

Good idea! I'll see what I can do, although I think the low is only 65 tonight. Suppose to be warm again tomorrow.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
If they start to get too cool inside, it's hard for them to get the eggs out.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
A ceramic heat emitter from the olden days:

what-it-is_07.jpg

MPRC

5 Year Member
Oregon
I have a RF who has been digging and scratching but hasn't produced. About how deep was her nest?

theguy67

10 Year Member!
I have a RF who has been digging and scratching but hasn't produced. About how deep was her nest?

I'd say 5 inches at most. I had another one lay a deeper nest, but the top eggs in the clutch were pretty shallow. One was uncovered after some rain, and that was how I found them. I think Redfoots are known to be shallow nesters.

My issue has always been finding the nests. Time to go check her progress!

theguy67

10 Year Member!
The hole she dug was 5 inches or a bit less, but uncovering the nest only took 2 inches, if that's what you're asking.

MPRC

5 Year Member
Oregon
Thanks. This is a first and we are stuck indoors no less.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
It was nice and warm today, mid 70s, so I opened the door to the outside and allowed the torts to spend the day grazing. I went to go collect them, and one female is digging a nest! Or, at least, thats what I assume she's doing. She's high on her front legs, digging a hole with her back feet. I've never seen a tortoise dig a nest in person, but have seen a red-eared slider so I assume it will be similar? Guess I'll go check youtube!

Never have I been able to collect the eggs so soon. Lets hope she lays something!

*fingers crossed*

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
I am so tired. I got up before 7 am on Saturday, worked Sat night, and then spent Sunday at the kids. I got called in to work then Sunday night to fill in. During all that time, I perhaps got four hours sleep. I am too old for this.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
I am so tired. I got up before 7 am on Saturday, worked Sat night, and then spent Sunday at the kids. I got called in to work then Sunday night to fill in. During all that time, I perhaps got four hours sleep. I am too old for this.
((Hugs)) Jacqui. Not the best way to see in the new year :(

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Good Morning! Hope you got some sleep

Not yet, but off work, have gotten my shopping done (critter food and books), and now head to home. Then it's critters and finally a long awaited and eagerly anticipated date with the couch.