Pretend chat 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thalatte

5 Year Member
Cowboy_Ken said:
I've got wild strawberries that grow in the russian outdoor pen. I don't need to worry about them eating the berries though, they eat the flowers and the berries never have a chance to develop.

Is this ok? I was thinking of planting some in my sonorans enclosure but didn't know if the plant itself was bad for them in high quantities.

Also need ideas on other plants besides grass. I have a grass mix and cilantro and hibiscus... What other plant can I get that is fairly good sized and plant in the enclosures? They have eaten all the grass before it has a chance to grow much so I want something already established that isn't seeds.

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Kingman, Arizona
You can do ice plant, geraniums and what I do is make a small barrier that prohibits the tortoises from eating it to the ground. Then, when established, I remove the barrier. My favorite are those 1gallon planters the plant comes in. Cut the bottom completely off, then make a complete cut lengthwise on the side. Put this around the plant and it works great.

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
Yeah, now that's an idea. Plant a row of catus with spine needles, or holly bushes that have prickly thorns, or something like that. Those are great deterrents for brats like them. If your community has such struck by-laws, then there's got to be something about residents walking through other resident's property. Look into that.
Kerryann said:
emysemys said:
How about a fence, Kerryanne? In order to keep people from walking in front of my house I planted a grape vine at one corner and strung wire across the part where they can walk through. Its two strands and not easy to climb through.

I am thinking a row of arbovites and some picker bushes but we can't have fences.

Thalatte

5 Year Member
Ok thanks. I will work on this once I get back home!

1 week and 4 days!!!!

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
Hey, Cowboy, that's a great idea. Never thought of that. I'll keep that in mind when I start building my outdoor enclosure.

Cowboy_Ken said:
You can do ice plant, geraniums and what I do is make a small barrier that prohibits the tortoises from eating it to the ground. Then, when established, I remove the barrier. My favorite are those 1gallon planters the plant comes in. Cut the bottom completely off, then make a complete cut lengthwise on the side. Put this around the plant and it works great.

Thalatte

5 Year Member
Thanks cowboy!
I also think I will plant some of the tortoise food in the lizard cages since they won't eat it. Then I can harvest at my leisure.

Kerryann

5 Year Member
West Bloomfield MI
sibi said:
Yeah, now that's an idea. Plant a row of catus with spine needles, or holly bushes that have prickly thorns, or something like that. Those are great deterrents for brats like them. If your community has such struck by-laws, then there's got to be something about residents walking through other resident's property. Look into that.
Kerryann said:
emysemys said:
How about a fence, Kerryanne? In order to keep people from walking in front of my house I planted a grape vine at one corner and strung wire across the part where they can walk through. Its two strands and not easy to climb through.

I am thinking a row of arbovites and some picker bushes but we can't have fences.

That's a good point. I will have to go read the bylaws.
I just looked there is nothing but the video is cute. The walking path is at the end of my culdisac. They are basically in front of my house in the video. http://www.angelfire.com/mi4/foxrungreen/framea.html
It is such a nice place to live :( I am very sad this has gone so wrong.
My neighbor next door (I am on a corner lot so she is sort of next to me and behind me all at once) has two kids who love to play with cici. Her kids can't go out and play because of the same scenario with those people. She and I said last year that this spring we would come up with a landscaping solution to seperate the yards but not separate from each other. The tricky part is that I am wondering if they would walk around the edging since it would only go to the end of her yard? This is such a weird situation. I love all of my other neighbors and enjoyed the open space in the back yard. The people who were there before them had a husky and before that a golden retriever.
We had these bushes between our house and I'd be like Mike (the guy behind us, not my hubs) can I trim these bushes back?? he'd answer like do whatever you want. There was so much mutual respect. We never said anything about the kids playing in the central area but the other kids were respectful, they didn't walk up by peoples houses or if they were really little and did their parents would correct them.

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
Kerryann said:
sibi said:
Kerryann said:
emysemys said:

That's a good point. I will have to go read the bylaws.
I just looked there is nothing but the video is cute. The walking path is at the end of my culdisac. They are basically in front of my house in the video. http://www.angelfire.com/mi4/foxrungreen/framea.html
It is such a nice place to live :( I am very sad this has gone so wrong.
My neighbor next door (I am on a corner lot so she is sort of next to me and behind me all at once) has two kids who love to play with cici. Her kids can't go out and play because of the same scenario with those people. She and I said last year that this spring we would come up with a landscaping solution to seperate the yards but not separate from each other. The tricky part is that I am wondering if they would walk around the edging since it would only go to the end of her yard? This is such a weird situation. I love all of my other neighbors and enjoyed the open space in the back yard. The people who were there before them had a husky and before that a golden retriever.
We had these bushes between our house and I'd be like Mike (the guy behind us, not my hubs) can I trim these bushes back?? he'd answer like do whatever you want. There was so much mutual respect. We never said anything about the kids playing in the central area but the other kids were respectful, they didn't walk up by peoples houses or if they were really little and did their parents would correct them.

I'm sure there a by-law that you can use to stop them from trampling through your property. I would first send her a nice letter requesting the she and the kids respect your space. If she doesn't listen, send her another letter, this time you attach a copy of the first, and cc the community board of homeowners assn. If she still doesn't listen, video type all the traspasses, and file a formal complaint with the homeowner 's assn. She'll have to listen, or they can force her to move...in fact, it can even get worse than that. That should do it. But, it will take patience and persistence on your part. It will be worthwhile in the end. You all don't have to suffer with that woman and her kids. It may even be that her husband may not even be aware of the situation. If he has any sense, he may put an end to it himself.

RosieRedfoot

5 Year Member
Columbia, SC
ImageUploadedByTortoiseForum1365023928.804192.jpg

Made an apple pie just for fun. Didn't have enough dough to do a quality lattice work but it's what's on the inside that counts :p

Last edited by a moderator:

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
I am glad Sibi isn't mad at me. She could be one tough cookie to be against you. :rolleyes:

Is there ice cream for the pie?

CtTortoiseMom

5 Year Member
CT
Have you seen the movie "This is 40" it is the sequel to "Knocked Up ". It was supposed to be a comedy but I found it totally depressing!!

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
Mad at what? Didn't get to catch up yet, but you might as well spit it out?:p
Jacqui said:
I am glad Sibi isn't mad at me. She could be one tough cookie to be against you. :rolleyes:

Is there ice cream for the pie?

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
I want some pie. I want some sweet potato pie, yummy to the tummy. And, of course with vanilla ice cream. Ooo, I got to tell you all...my hubby's company is taking all the worker wives out for an evening of wine tasting. We were just informed that they rented a hummer limo for the evening!!! I will be taking pls ty of pics to show you all. Don't know what to wear. I want to be dressy but I want to wear pants. Anyway, I think I'm getting the silent treatment from everyone except Kerryann. Where's Cowboy? Where's Ja qui and Erin a d Thalatte and the others?

RosieRedfoot

5 Year Member
Columbia, SC
I'm around.. And the one having pie later!

But first I'm having salad for dinner. Or tortoise food as Cowboy Ken calls it.

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
I'm here but not really. I've spent almost 5 hours mowing the 1/2 acre footprint of our yard area. Also burned a huge slash pile. We're to get rain starting tomorrow going out till Tuesday. All those huge dandelion blossoms…off with their heads!!!

And Sibi, I received an over priced, cardboard envelope today. Now I've got to say it…if you're not aware, sometimes, Sibi can be very silly.

Status
Not open for further replies.