Pretend chat 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

CtTortoiseMom

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
CT
sibi said:
I've been planning the outdoor enclosure for my sullies. I had to buy 300+ cement blocks to cover the perimeter of the back years space. I also had been more tired than usual, so, I'm resting more too.

Cowboy, I didn't. I'll look for it now.
CtTortoiseMom said:
Aww, thanks Sibi, how are you? What have you been up to?

Wow, that sounds like it is going to be a great enclosure!! I'm sorry you have been tired more and hope its nothing serious. I hate to go but I am exhausted and ready to float away to lala land. Good night all!!

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
Yeap, I read it. Not to worry...i said take your time. Don't rush like I did. I could wait since I've got so much going on now with the outdoor enclosure. I'll try and post a pic of the back and the shed that I'll insulate so that they can stay out all year long. I hope it comes out to be awesome. I ordered a spineless cactus plant that's gonna look great in their outdoor enclosure.

The area is 48' by 48' on all sides. The space is great for them to roam,eat, hide, and get into trouble. I'll try to make it pretty, only I'd have to block areas to keep them from tearing it apart.

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
Can you grow hibiscus in your area? The flowers fall the tortoises eat them. The leaves are good. And bush it out and it will provide a shade spot.

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
Yeap, hibiscus plants are exactly what I was planning for. I would need to get the plants protected from being torn apart first. They grow so beautifully here where I live. Maybe I'll get a couple of big tree like hibiscus plants and position them near the sprinkler so that it doesn't die on me.

Cowboy_Ken said:
Can you grow hibiscus in your area? The flowers fall the tortoises eat them. The leaves are good. And bush it out and it will provide a shade spot.

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
Did you see my post somewhere about cutting the bottom off the planter to use as a barrier while plants get established?

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
I sure did, and it was a great idea too. I plan to use that when I plant the hibiscus plants.
Cowboy_Ken said:
Did you see my post somewhere about cutting the bottom off the planter to use as a barrier while plants get established?

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
So use tent stakes to anchor it in place on the inside of the planter. You can find plastic ones pretty cheep that I think would cause no damage to a determined tortoise.

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
There's a little problem I'm trying to solve with the shed. It had a box attached to the structure when it was bought, only it would have to be connected to the main house somehow. There's an outside socket with two places to plug in an outside electrical cord. I really don't want to call an electrician for something that seems pretty easy to do. So, do I get a line installed and connected to the main house, or can I just use an outdoor cord and plug it into the outdoor socket? What do you think Cowboy?

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
Home owner? I would hard wire from an outlet in the garage. I would move the outlet at the least 3 ' off the floor away from tortoises activities.

Renter? Legally an electrician needs to do it.

Remember, all states have different laws covering issues such as this. A prudent person will investigate the laws governing said construction in their own local.
That was the CowboyKen disclaimer.

Also, in the event of malfunction, homeowners insurance wise, you might be safest to just run a contractors exstention cord.

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
I own, and there isn't a garage; I have a carport, but there is an outlet on the backside of the house where the air conditioning unit sits. The outlet is what I was asking about. If I get a contractor's extension cord, can I run it to the shed by burying it underground, maybe through a PVC pipe?
Cowboy_Ken said:
Home owner? I would hard wire from an outlet in the garage. I would move the outlet at the least 3 ' off the floor away from tortoises activities.

Remember, all states have different laws covering issues such as this. A prudent person will investigate the laws governing said construction in their own local.

Also, in the event of malfunction, homeowners insurance wise, you might be safest to just run a contractors exstention cord.

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth
sibi said:
I own, and there isn't a garage; I have a carport, but there is an outlet on the backside of the house where the air conditioning unit sits. The outlet is what I was asking about. If I get a contractor's extension cord, can I run it to the shed by burying it underground, maybe through a PVC pipe?
Cowboy_Ken said:

You should split the difference. If you are thinking about burying conduit, just trench and run the conduit yourself then hire an electrician to pull the wire and terminate.

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
I am no electrician, but that seems like something I would do.
Ok. Who am I fooling? I'd use an outdoor cord and I wouldn't bury it. It would just be an orange snake folks would need to avoid.

Anyone catch “Family Guy" tonight? Epic.

I'm dying over here! “Shut up Meg!" Oh it kills.

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
Would it be safe to use an outdoor electric cord? And if I did, how would I run it from the house to the shed, some 30 feet away? I'm trying not to pay hundreds of dollars for an electrician, but it's looking more and more like I may just have to. But, I like the idea of running a conduit underground myself and minimize the amount of time and work for the electrician to be there.

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
50' outdoor extension cord. 2" conduit should work, right? Your inside detention of the PVC pipe needs to be large enough that the end of the cord goes through it. Put 3 elbows on the ends if its an out side plug so water doesn't get in and I'd think you'd be good to go.

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
That's what I was kinda thinking. I'll use plumbers glue for the elbows to make sure no water gets in and that should be safe enough to get electricity into the shed. Thanks.

I just stuffed myself with coconut ice cream. It was so yummy. I shouldn't have done that, but sometimes I just feel like doing something bad.
Cowboy_Ken said:
50' outdoor extension cord. 2" conduit should work, right? Your inside detention of the PVC pipe needs to be large enough that the end of the cord goes through it. Put 3 elbows on the ends if its an out side plug so water doesn't get in and I'd think you'd be good to go.

Len B

10 Year Member!
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
Here is another option for getting power to an outside shed,that eliminates the need for conduit, since this wire is made to use in the elements and wet conditions even underground, You can make an extension cord any length you want.The wire is from Lowes or Home Depot and the liquid tape I got from Napa. I didn't hard wire my sheds because we loose power sometimes and I need the option to feed power to them from a generator.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I've been filing tax returns for almost 60 years and have never been audited (fingers crossed). Anyone here been audited?

Status
Not open for further replies.