Pretend chat 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

CtTortoiseMom

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
CT
@Yvonne & Ken.. I am sitting at my daughters middle school waiting for her to come out and all of the horses that are part of the Voag program are outside and one of the horses is doing something that looks really strange... It goes from standing to laying on its side then it rocks back and forth like it is trying to get up and then it stands up and repeats the strange laying down and rocking thing again. Alarming??

CtTortoiseMom

5 Year Member
CT
Cowboy_Ken said:
It's normal. It has been suggested that a horse rolls or does what you describe to aid digestion.

Well, that's a relief!! It is 80 degrees do I thought maybe it was over heating or something.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I'd be willing to bet that that particular horse has a fly strike sore at around the umbilical scar on its belly. The flies congregate on the sore, and it gets very itchy. They lay down with a back foot under their belly, and they rock back and forth scratching their belly on their foot. He needs someone to apply some healing cream with fly repellant properties to the sore.

If it looks like he's trying to roll, he may have a stomach ache (called colic in a horse) and rolling might twist the intestine. But it sounds more like an itch than an ache.

Kerryann

5 Year Member
West Bloomfield MI
Yvonne G said:
;) I'm pretty sure the reference was to nature shows, not The Office!! :rolleyes:

I LOVE nature shows, but when they get to the parts where animals are going to die, I'll switch channels. I can't stand to watch that stuff. Especially when you step back and look at the big picture, which shows the camera crew sitting in their safe hides or trucks, and allowing it to happen. I imagine that in order to receive permission to film, they must sign documents that say they will not interfere, but I just can't stand watching it.

You are right I quoted wrong.. and I agree also :(

Cowboy_Ken said:
So has anyone heard from Sibi since the power-ball winner was announced to be from Florida?

No.. she's been MIA.. actually wasn't she chatting with you last night. ;)

CtTortoiseMom said:
Cowboy_Ken said:
It's normal. It has been suggested that a horse rolls or does what you describe to aid digestion.

Well, that's a relief!! It is 80 degrees do I thought maybe it was over heating or something.
It's 90 degrees here. Thank god my new truck has a/c. Do they sell cars without A/C standard anymore?

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
Yes, we were chatting. I just wanted to start rumors.
And I knew what you meant, I was just funnin alittle.

RosieRedfoot

5 Year Member
Columbia, SC
Someone's posted a 3 year old male redfoot for $50 with all supplies on CL. Too bad I lack the space and don't own the place so I can't build a permanent outdoor pen.

I saw something posted on fail book where a mom goes "how do I explain to my daughter that Bambi's mom got shot?" And someone responded "cook her venison for dinner"

I laughed at that and thought that'd be the kind of response Ken would have.

And with that, I'm off to prepare the burgers for the grill.

CtTortoiseMom

5 Year Member
CT
Yesterday my check engine light came on and i took it in to the dealer this morning, it turned out I had no oil! Whoops!! I guess I should pay attention to the text reminders for oil changes. The worst part was the guy was like.. I am sure it's a just a electrical error, isn't your car pretty new? Then he was like oh my god you haven't gotten an oil change in forever and you have no oil. A tiny bit embarrassing!! But, I learned what a dip stick and told my friends and they had no idea that you should check your oil every 1,000 miles!! Did you chatters know that?

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth
CtTortoiseMom said:
Yesterday my check engine light came on and i took it in to the dealer this morning, it turned out I had no oil! Whoops!! I guess I should pay attention to the text reminders for oil changes. The worst part was the guy was like.. I am sure it's a just a electrical error, isn't your car pretty new? Then he was like oh my god you haven't gotten an oil change in forever and you have no oil. A tiny bit embarrassing!! But, I learned what a dip stick and told my friends and they had no idea that you should check your oil every 1,000 miles!! Did you chatters know that?

How long had you gone without an oil change?

RosieRedfoot

5 Year Member
Columbia, SC
I get my oil changed every 5k miles and check the dipstick about once a month.

Be glad your engine didn't seize up and die!

CtTortoiseMom

5 Year Member
CT
jaizei said:
CtTortoiseMom said:

How long had you gone without an oil change?

Definitely not as long as I had in the past, only 6,000 miles. I just never owned a car as big as mine is now. It said "oil life" 25% and I am used to taking it in at 15% but the guy said that I cannot do that in my beast because it uses a lot more oil and to just check the oil every 1,000 miles.

theelectraco

5 Year Member
When my older sister got her first car she had it for almost 2 years before getting her oil changed. Apparently she didn't know you needed to have it changed....lol

CtTortoiseMom

5 Year Member
CT
RosieRedfoot said:
I get my oil changed every 5k miles and check the dipstick about once a month.

Be glad your engine didn't seize up and die!

It said "turn off engine" this morning so I took it right in. I am used to the oil change light coming on and going in. Oh well I guess I will be using my dip stick from now on:) haha dip stick!!

Cowboy_Ken said:
What's oil? Lol. Sorry, subject change here. Remember months ago I spoke of a freak ice storm we had and that I'd taken pictures of ice covered roses? Well I found the pictures ;

Wow, beautiful Ken!!!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Well, I DO know that I take my p/u in for a lube, oil, filter every 3,000 miles. Some manuals say you only need to do it every 6,000 miles, but I do it every 3. Used to be in the olden days, the gas station guy would check your oil for you every time you filled up. He even washed your windshield while he was pumping the gas.

Kerryann

5 Year Member
West Bloomfield MI
CtTortoiseMom said:

No but I have a husband who is in charge of the vehicle maintenance. He refuses to let some smuck do maintenance on his assets. I said they have no skin in the game.:p Ahhh the joys of being married to my Mikey...

Cowboy_Ken said:
Yes, we were chatting. I just wanted to start rumors.
And I knew what you meant, I was just funnin alittle.

You made me worry. I was gonna go hunt her down. :p

theelectraco said:
When my older sister got her first car she had it for almost 2 years before getting her oil changed. Apparently she didn't know you needed to have it changed....lol

I may or may not have gotten my first oil change in a truck I owned in 2005 for almost a year and 15k miles. I didn't even think about it but then I started dating Mike and he was like where's your oil change sticker?? My face probably told the whole story. :D
Thank god it was a lease..
errr... I mean.. it was if it existed. :p:shy:

RosieRedfoot

5 Year Member
Columbia, SC
I use synthetic and they told me my car only needs every 6-10k miles but I do it at 5k just to be safer. Had my car for 5 years and haven't even put 55,000 miles on it. And it's from Alaska (here in South Carolina now) so it's been around. Most places I've worked or gone to school have been within 2-3 miles of where I lived, so was easy to keep low miles.

Kerryann

5 Year Member
West Bloomfield MI
Re: RE: Pretend chat 2

RosieRedfoot said:
I use synthetic and they told me my car only needs every 6-10k miles but I do it at 5k just to be safer. Had my car for 5 years and haven't even put 55,000 miles on it. And it's from Alaska (here in South Carolina now) so it's been around. Most places I've worked or gone to school have been within 2-3 miles of where I lived, so was easy to keep low miles.

I do over 20k miles per year

Status
Not open for further replies.