Pretend chat 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

RosieRedfoot

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Columbia, SC
We're getting thunderstorms here today and my dog, Dante, is having a pure meltdown. He's usually fine through thunderstorms but I had to put on his thunder shirt and lock him in his crate with a blanket over him. He was getting Prince all anxious too. Trying not to baby them to encourage fearful behaviors but they were about to tear the back door down >.>

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Oh-h-h-h-h...I want that kitty. My very favorite kind. Is this from the wild cat?

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
I wish you were closer, she would be at your house before the night was over. :D Yes, this is from the Wild Calico. She has two of them. The other one is almost all black with an interesting face expression and she runs the second I am out. This one, is a bit more friendly.

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth
CtTortoiseMom said:
jaizei said:
CtTortoiseMom said:
Yesterday my check engine light came on and i took it in to the dealer this morning, it turned out I had no oil! Whoops!! I guess I should pay attention to the text reminders for oil changes. The worst part was the guy was like.. I am sure it's a just a electrical error, isn't your car pretty new? Then he was like oh my god you haven't gotten an oil change in forever and you have no oil. A tiny bit embarrassing!! But, I learned what a dip stick and told my friends and they had no idea that you should check your oil every 1,000 miles!! Did you chatters know that?

How long had you gone without an oil change?

Definitely not as long as I had in the past, only 6,000 miles. I just never owned a car as big as mine is now. It said "oil life" 25% and I am used to taking it in at 15% but the guy said that I cannot do that in my beast because it uses a lot more oil and to just check the oil every 1,000 miles.

That doesn't sound right to me. If that's within manufacturer tolerances, then it's a huge design flaw.

I probably average 10K between oil changes. Still works out to about every 3 or 4 months.

CourtneyAndCarl said:
Very common, yes. A lot of rural houses will have an actual storm shelter but in the suburbs we've got basements.

I don't think I've ever been in a house with a basement. When there's a tornado around here people just hide in the bathroom/closet, or those that live in 'manufactured' homes drive in the opposite direction of the storm.

Kerryann

5 Year Member
West Bloomfield MI
After seeing that video I wondered why none of those houses had basements. Are they not practical in some areas? I don't think I have ever lived in a house without at least a Michigan (5ft) basement.

RosieRedfoot

5 Year Member
Columbia, SC
I do wonder why a lot of the homes in tornado alley don't have cellars/basements. I know if I lived where tornadoes were common I'd have all the vital things underground... Pet room, tv/media room.. And build in good bilge pumps and have generators.

In SC they get a few small tornadoes a year but usually not here. We don't have a basement since the whole house is raised on a brick foundation. Could always crawl into the under house crawlspace since roaches aren't nearly as terrifying as being ripped away by a twister.

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
I had a basement in my house in New Jersey. When I moved to Florida, I had a one level house built. The reason why Florida homes don't have basements is because the water tables are so high. If you dig three feet, you'll hit water of some sort. If you dig five feet deep, you'll have your own well. Don't know what the sorry would be for Oklahoma.

CtTortoiseMom

5 Year Member
CT
Kerryann said:
After seeing that video I wondered why none of those houses had basements. Are they not practical in some areas? I don't think I have ever lived in a house without at least a Michigan (5ft) basement.

The basement in the elementary school flooded, I think it is probably in a flood zone.
That video really made my day and I sent it to everyone I know!!

Kerryann

5 Year Member
West Bloomfield MI
Re: RE: Pretend chat 2

CtTortoiseMom said:
Kerryann said:

The basement in the elementary school flooded, I think it is probably in a flood zone.
That video really made my day and I sent it to everyone I know!!

I shared it on Facebook and tweeted it

CtTortoiseMom

5 Year Member
CT
I just realized that I didn't post what I was thinking when I was on before and really thought I did!! Uh oh, I'm already losing it.

Anyway... Jacqui, Dude looks great! His poor shell looks bad but he looks happy & healthy. Great job! That kitten is also adorable. Think how many animals are better off because you exist... That goes for Maggie3fan & Yvonne G, Sibi, Kerryann and Ken with his herd of russians and all of the other rescue and rehabber's, you all amaze me!

It is really hard not to have my tortoises right now, the kids were playing on the school playground after school and a big group of kids came running over to me with a surprise. I had to close my eyes and hold out my hand... I did it and was pleasantly surprised with the biggest, fattest dandelion I have ever seen. The kids were excited and asked if they could give it to Sid. It was impossible trying to explain to the little "why?" machine's where the tortoises were and that I don't know when I will have them again. Anyway, I'm glad I have you all and can look at your tortoises.

Yikes, I'm taking myself and all this sap to bed, g'night.

RosieRedfoot

5 Year Member
Columbia, SC
I didn't even know my potted palm tree could ferment... Probably explains the palmetto bugs I've vacuumed up in that corner though. I used a hack saw to remove the rotted half and repotted the other half in fresh soil. Smelled sooo bad >.<

It's probably one of the fungal infections that causes butt rot in palms. They say the other half rarely survives but I'll give it a shot before throwing it all out. My smaller palm tree died about a month ago too so I think I'm doomed to kill all palm trees.. Too bad I'm living in the palmetto state, but good thing there are no ones outside on the property for me to infect.

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
I've been watching “Open Range" tonight. Nothing like a good guys win gunfight to make you sleep well.

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
Well, it's pass my bedtime. I think I can sleep tonight. If not, I'll be on again in case anyone can't sleep. We can just shoot the breeze.

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
Good morning all! Don't tell Karen, but while she is hard at work saving people's pets, I'm having a hard time getting off the couch!

CtTortoiseMom

5 Year Member
CT
Im getting my oil changed and tires rotated. My last dealer had a nail place in it. This dealer barely has wifi :( sooo BORED!!

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
CtTortoiseMom said:
Im getting my oil changed and tires rotated. My last dealer had a nail place in it. This dealer barely has wifi :( sooo BORED!!

Ok. Just figured out that you're talking about like a finger salon, right?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Yeah...I was wondering why she'd want nails placed in her tires!

Status
Not open for further replies.