Pretend chat 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

CourtneyAndCarl

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Middle of nowhere
RosieRedfoot said:
I do wonder why a lot of the homes in tornado alley don't have cellars/basements. I know if I lived where tornadoes were common I'd have all the vital things underground... Pet room, tv/media room.. And build in good bilge pumps and have generators.

In SC they get a few small tornadoes a year but usually not here. We don't have a basement since the whole house is raised on a brick foundation. Could always crawl into the under house crawlspace since roaches aren't nearly as terrifying as being ripped away by a twister.

I know in Texas where they do have tornadoes, some places are located below sea level so a basement would almost always be flooded.

In the Midwest a lot of houses sit on flood plains, which is just stupid to build anywhere near those to begin with but people do it anyway.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
CtTortoiseMom said:
Im getting my oil changed and tires rotated. My last dealer had a nail place in it. This dealer barely has wifi :( sooo BORED!!

So why did you change?

RosieRedfoot

5 Year Member
Columbia, SC
Not able to get nails done or have wifi while waiting for tire rotation sounds like a very serious first world problem :p

CtTortoiseMom

5 Year Member
CT
Yep, a nail salon. I changed places because my car changed. I always have my iPad with me but Rand stole it and was playing temple run on it.
Before that he was playing on the ground with his fire truck repeatedly making the alarm on it go off so I was happy to hand it over at that point!!

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
CtTortoiseMom said:
Yep, a nail salon. I changed places because my car changed. I always have my iPad with me but Rand stole it and was playing temple run on it.
Before that he was playing on the ground with his fire truck repeatedly making the alarm on it go off so I was happy to hand it over at that point!!

Now see, if you had a real book, I doubt very much you would have to worry about Rand taking it away from you. :D

Yvonne.... I like your new little cute turtle! :)

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth
CourtneyAndCarl said:
RosieRedfoot said:
I do wonder why a lot of the homes in tornado alley don't have cellars/basements. I know if I lived where tornadoes were common I'd have all the vital things underground... Pet room, tv/media room.. And build in good bilge pumps and have generators.

In SC they get a few small tornadoes a year but usually not here. We don't have a basement since the whole house is raised on a brick foundation. Could always crawl into the under house crawlspace since roaches aren't nearly as terrifying as being ripped away by a twister.

I know in Texas where they do have tornadoes, some places are located below sea level so a basement would almost always be flooded.

In the Midwest a lot of houses sit on flood plains, which is just stupid to build anywhere near those to begin with but people do it anyway.

I think the biggest (umbrella) reason is the extra cost, which is driven by different factors in different regions. Basements are possible, just expensive. Down here, the frost line is only a few inches deep so it would take quite a bit of additional excavation for a basement. It would almost certainly involve a decent amount of hoe ramming through limestone. In North Texas/Oklahoma I've been told it's because of the clay. The contraction/expansion of the soil poses an engineering challenge.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Flowering pear? Are you finally into spring? YEA!!!

My signature turtle even blinks. I may keep him for a while.

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Yvonne G said:
Flowering pear? Are you finally into spring? YEA!!!

My signature turtle even blinks. I may keep him for a while.

Spiraea bush

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Maggie has a cat that looks pretty much like that, Jacqui. Hers is named Macs.

I love your iris.

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
That is Starkin, she is just a tad older then Macs. I have another one who looks a lot like her, but not so much the mean sneer, who is Larkin. :D Starkin is my number two favorite cat (yes I have favorites and they know it) ;) :D I had told Maggie in the past that her's looks a lot like mine. After calicos, tuxes are my favorite color/pattern.

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
Rodeo loves his Ava. Rodeo is our old man in the house. Karen and I say he is the glue that holds our marriage together.

And now I can't post pictures. Sigh… time to delete.

Deleted old pictures, lets try that again.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Since we've been talking about flowers :p I'm assuming that Rodeo is your favorite flower????? :D

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
Cat!!!! He sees Ava as a large, tough, cat that is not afraid to loudly chase feral cats off the property. They snuggle.

CourtneyAndCarl

5 Year Member
Middle of nowhere
I LOVE irises! Do yours smell like purple, Jacqui? For some reason I associate the smell of irises with the color purple, so much so that they are the smell of the color purple to me... I hope that's not weird..... haha

Our columbines are blooming, those are my favorite flowers :)

Status
Not open for further replies.