Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
A Land Far Away...
Kerryann said:
Jacqui said:
Kerryann said:
I have been reflecting during the atonement and starting over period and am thinking of ways that I can better myself during this year.

I know a good one to improve yourself.. each month come and visit a different one of us! :)

That is such a better plan than any i have had so far. :)
It does go in line with my improvement in relaxing and making more connections

There ya go!

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
Kerryann, are you Jewish? When I studied Judaism, I did temple and Yom Kippur too.

Anyway, keeping in line with atonement, I'd want to apologize to Jacqui and Yvonne for any harsh words or trouble I've been on the forum when having debates or arguments with other members. I was thinking of leaving the forum for a while because I don't like what I feel I'm becoming. Maybe, I'll just plan to visit everyone at some point. Don't know yet.

Kerryann

5 Year Member
West Bloomfield MI
I am not but I'm planning to convert so I have been reading and learning a lot. I was talking to a coworker today and he was filling me in on some interesting knowledge about how you can apply the beliefs to your own life and even if you interpret something different you both can be right.
I'm up right now with toe cramps. I just downed two bottles of life water. I figured i needed the electrolytes.
Sibi, my first thought to work on is how negative I had become about work. I am always complimented on how I smile and am always cool and calm in stressful situations. I have found myself anticipating failure, being fatigued, and complaining too often. I have been working in that and just get up every day trying to be more positive. Don't give up on the forum maybe just limit yourself to only reading happy things for s while or looking at cute tortoise photos :)
My toe cramps are subsiding so I'm going back to bed. :)

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
sibi said:
Anyway, keeping in line with atonement, I'd want to apologize to Jacqui and Yvonne for any harsh words or trouble I've been on the forum when having debates or arguments with other members. I was thinking of leaving the forum for a while because I don't like what I feel I'm becoming. Maybe, I'll just plan to visit everyone at some point. Don't know yet.

Sibi your fine. When ever you gather together folks who have real passion there are times emotions run high and sparks flare. That is normal and natural. We even have some I guess calling them seasonal peaks would be a fitting term, when this happens more often. We were just in one. :( The problem is not the rare one, it's the person who does this all the time and then never takes any responsibility for it. You always take responsibility and when told to knock it off you do.

If leaving the forum is what it takes, then do so for awhile,but please come back. I sometimes will take breaks myself. ('Cuz we are gonna miss you if you do :( ) Or another thing may to just choose a few places (threads) to hang out in. Like maybe this area, introductions, sulcatas, and not sure which other ones interest you. Just pick places were your chances of being pulled into a debate are minimal.

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
Thanks Jacqui, I just needed to head that. Honestly, I never viewed the thoughts you provided about being pulled into debates, or taking responsibility for my actions. You're right, I do reflect afterward and then apologize to certain ones or to members in general. I don't think I can ever really leave the forum. But, I'll try to stay away from posting passionate comments because you'll always find someone who will disagree and not be pleasant about it, ie the op of the recent contentious debate.

Kerryann, I'll pm you.

Kim, yes, I'd like to see more houses.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Sibi, the thing is...you can offer up your opinion, and tell your side of the story, but stop there. Everyone needs to realize that if YOU are passionate about your opinion on whatever subject it is, then the guy with the opposite opinion is also passionate. He's not going to change your mind, and you're not going to change his mind. So, say it once then let it go.

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
You are absolutely right. And if only I could've done that, I wouldn't feel so bad. So, it's something I have to master. Jacqui had some good suggestions. Here on chat is a great example. I can focus on certain areas of the forum. One area I love is when new members are having problems with the health of their torts. However, there are certain members who will argue with me and that's how it starts. If there are differences in opinion, that's one thing. But, if advise given can actually cause harm, then instead of arguing the point, perhaps I can leave it to you to clarify, if possible. Otherwise, it's just not worth it. This week had taken it's toll on me. I suffer from fibromyalgia, and stress causes it to flare up. Now, I'm hurting all over and couldn't hardly get out of bed a couple of days this week. It's just not worth it.
Yvonne G said:
Sibi, the thing is...you can offer up your opinion, and tell your side of the story, but stop there. Everyone needs to realize that if YOU are passionate about your opinion on whatever subject it is, then the guy with the opposite opinion is also passionate. He's not going to change your mind, and you're not going to change his mind. So, say it once then let it go.

RosieRedfoot

5 Year Member
Columbia, SC
We're thinking of putting in a window AC unit in the garage to keep the dog crates out there. That way they'd have their own doggy exit out the garage door. With all that carpet and 3 dogs (2 of which shed awful and 1 of which has incontinence) it will be interesting. But could potentially put up baby gates in the living room entrances so the dogs can be inside in the living room with us but not wander the entire house (only 1 of them won't pee in random places inside). Oh the joys of old dogs, lol.

Should add that the garage crating would be for when we're gone at work, not 24/7.

Sulcata_Sandy

5 Year Member
Pacific NorthWET
Cowboy_Ken said:
Sibi, you know how I feel.

You're not allergic to cats are you? The guest room is open and nice.

Might be a bit of a commute. LOL

Sibi,
You are totally fine and as far as I've read you've been spot on with your posts...IMHO.
You offer guidance, support, love, direction, and appropriate opinions.
You are a huge asset to this forum and tortoises need you.

You can please everyone. I've learned that and accepted it. I just try to be fair and friendly and at the end of the day, its the animals I care for that benefit and matter. Between basenji and tortoise rescue, caring for my own animals, and the patients at work...I feel rewarded and I know I've made a difference. That is what makes me happy. [GROWING HEART][TURTLE][SMILING FACE WITH SMILING EYES]

Sandy
Oregon Tortoise Rescue

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
Thank you Sandy. We all have something to offer especially if you've been doing this for years. I just hate the bickering and the "I know it all" attitude. Those who are true educators are the ones who are open-minded and willing to accept another method as just as useful or valuable as one's own. That's my philosophy and I try to live by that.

Kim, the house looks great! But, I only ser what looks like an attic room, and staircase. There's more, right?

Cowboy, thanks, and I'm not allergic to cats, especially your little white beauty. Commute? I plan to fly there one day.

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Kim... are all the units around the oven able to be used? When you have to replace it, is it hard to do or what sorta cost are those compared to floor standing models?

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
Oops! I somehow missed that. Kim, what's lovely home. Two things: is there drop ceilings somewhere? I thought I caught a glimpse of one maybe in the basement? If so, make sure your inspector checks a few panels to see what's under it. Sometimes, people will hide a cracked ceiling or some water damage with drop ceilings. Also, get a temp gauge and put it in the room on the top floor. Test the air on a hot day, and see how cool it gets and how long it takes to cool. It seems to have a lot of windows. How many are there? Are they up to code? These are some of the questions I'd ask the inspector on the day of inspection. You do plan to be there when he does the inspection, yes? All and all, get the guest room ready for my visit:p

Jacqui, the cabinets above and under the wall oven should be usable. I've seen many like that. If I were her, though,I would knock out the bottom cabinets under the oven, and get one of those double ovens. That had always been my dream kitchen, especially if you bake a lot like Kim does.

RosieRedfoot said:
Sibi there are about 40 pictures so it should be multiple pages of images!

RosieRedfoot

5 Year Member
Columbia, SC
Sibi, there's no basement. There is an upstairs (with the 3 bedrooms), downstairs (living room, kitchen, dining, entry, etc), and a FROG off the living room. The inspector did a thorough inspection and found a few minimal type things. The back patio wasn't installed correctly (concrete slab on dirt = cracks galore) but the foundation of the house itself is good. He did find some signs of past water damage under the front porch steps and so we wrote in that we'd like the seller to have a contractor replace those damaged boards and support them correctly. Their moisture content was a little higher than it should be but it was only one board that would need to be cut out and butted with other boards and add in a support beam to have it up to code. One of the main beams on the spare bath faucet didn't shut off fully either so we asked that to be replaced and to make sure there's no water damage on the back board. The roof is slightly older but still in decent condition. He said it should probably be replaced in the next 5 years just because it is a home from the 80's and the heat here does it's toll on shingles.

I plan on installing a double oven eventually. I've always wanted one and by already having it set up for a wall oven, I plan on doing exactly as you suggested. Just waiting till we have some spare money and a good sale comes along. I also want to replace the fridge/dishwasher with black/stainless options but that's an eventual as well if they still are working fine. Other than that, there was one spot in the FROG where insulation was lacking, and one spot under the house where there could be more insulation, but those are simple enough fixes. The dishwasher wasn't bolted to the countertops but he said that's because it's an old dishwasher with new granite counters. He tested moisture contents under the house, in the attic, under sinks, in bathrooms, etc. and said there was no evidence of leaks except that one bath faucet. Since it's a brick foundation he suggested we seal it and just pressure wash from time to time to keep down anything like ivy or mold/mildew from taking hold.

Inspector said there was no water damage or leaks in the window sills and that they were slightly older but not too bad and overall the home is in a very well maintained condition with nothing too serious. The AC unit is basically brand new and it has 2 units as well as a whole house exhaust fan. I guess when it's cooler at night or in the morning you open up some windows and turn on the whole house fan which creates negative pressure and draws in cool air and blows out hot air through the attic. It cools the attic down some, but the house by a lot more and can apparently lessen AC costs by up to 80%.

Overall, the inspector and termite/pest guy agreed it was a great home and said they wish they had the luxury of getting such a home for their first house.

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
That's great! So, there's no drop ceilings anywhere in the house? Btw, the house fan is fantastic. I have one, and when it's cool out, but muggy in the house, that house fan is a life saver. Just love it. Go girl...

Status
Not open for further replies.