Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
sibi said:
If there are differences in opinion, that's one thing. But, if advise given can actually cause harm, then instead of arguing the point, perhaps I can leave it to you to clarify, if possible. Otherwise, it's just not worth it.

Wrong and hurtful advice is what the "report" button is for. I you or anyone reads advice given that is blatantly incorrect, please hit the "report" button and let a mod deal with it.

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
Kim, I forgot to tell you that a lot of insurance companies are now requiring that roofs be at the most 10 years old even though the life of a roof could be 20 years. If the roof is , say 15 years old, they may tell you that the roof has to be replaced or you couldn't get the house insured. When I had a town house and I was ready to sell it, the buyer applied for a FHA loan, and was told the roof was too old; they weren't going to approve the insurance unless the roof was replaced. I'm just saying, if the rules are the same for SC, it may present a problem.

Thanks Yvonne, I didn't know that! I thought the "report" button was to report foul language or inappropriate statements. Thanks, will do in the future.

Yvonne G said:
sibi said:
If there are differences in opinion, that's one thing. But, if advise given can actually cause harm, then instead of arguing the point, perhaps I can leave it to you to clarify, if possible. Otherwise, it's just not worth it.

Wrong and hurtful advice is what the "report" button is for. I you or anyone reads advice given that is blatantly incorrect, please hit the "report" button and let a mod deal with it.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
sibi said:
Thanks Yvonne, I didn't know that! I thought the "report" button was to report foul language or inappropriate statements. Thanks, will do in the future.

It is! :D It is a fast way for you to let a Mod know there is a problem with a thread, ANY problem.

fauzi_alda/cata

5 Year Member
Wow! I just read a whole chapter of a Novel here.. My feelings mixed up right now.. Anyway salute to all the Mods.. Doing a great job so far.. (Love this forum a lot!)[GRINNING FACE WITH SMILING EYES]

Kerryann

5 Year Member
West Bloomfield MI
I am up north getting ready to do an off road event tomorrow. I am so excited and so glad to have time off. Mikes mom gave me a wine glass of rum so I am three sheets to the wind. :D

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
Wow, wish I could take a swig myself. I've been suffering with fibromyalgia this whole week! Feel like crap. Btw, couldn't pm you, but I will perhaps before the weekend is over.

Kerryann

5 Year Member
West Bloomfield MI
sibi said:
Wow, wish I could take a swig myself. I've been suffering with fibromyalgia this whole week! Feel like crap. Btw, couldn't pm you, but I will perhaps before the weekend is over.

I hope you start feeling better :( I am so sad you haven't been feeling well.

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
I'm to feisty for my age. Sometimes it will be triggered by stress, or the weather. Don't know what triggered it this time.

Kerryann

5 Year Member
West Bloomfield MI
sibi said:
I'm to feisty for my age. Sometimes it will be triggered by stress, or the weather. Don't know what triggered it this time.
If you have been in heated debates I wonder if it triggers the same chemicals as stress? What helps it go away? spa days???? I am in :D

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
Yeah, I think it's the same chemicals that trigger it. Although I'm totally unaware of it, it just seems that any stress can trigger this. Not even massages take it away. It helps for the moment, but comes back until it decides to take a break:p That's the nature of the beast.

RosieRedfoot

5 Year Member
Columbia, SC
My main debate is to paint or not to paint the wood panels in the living room... I feel they darken the room and seeing as we want to put in something like koa or tigerwood hardwood, it seems like it's an awful lot of wood and dark. Plus we have dark brown leather couches.

Yay or nay?

ImageUploadedByTortForum1379132719.392179.jpg

Here's an image of someone else's wood wainscoting fix.

Before:

ImageUploadedByTortForum1379133084.881743.jpg

After:
ImageUploadedByTortForum1379133101.249807.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
All the before and after pics did was exchange the dark shades from bottom to top. It may look brighter, but I still think there's no difference. Now, the living room is pretty, and note that their sofa is also dark. The room is lighter because of the white top walls. Have you considered a light, almost whitish wood floor? Think of the contrast it would create. It's just my opinion. If you decide to paint over it, why not just remove the wood altogether? I like the wood even though i can't tell the quality of the wood. I probably would lighten the wood if anything. What do you think?

RosieRedfoot

5 Year Member
Columbia, SC
They suggest if wanting lighter wood to paint it since staining it requires hours upon hours of stripping and sanding.

I wasn't saying I'd paint the top wall part dark. Was just one of the few wood wainscoting pictures I saw.

ImageUploadedByTortForum1379137666.523959.jpg

Crazy... 80's style to modern-ish. Not sure if I'd paint the cabinets or what. Too many decisions! Lol

Last edited by a moderator:

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
The thing about wood is that if you decide to paint it, you'll need to paint all the wood. It just doesn't look right to paint the bottom, and leave the molding, staircase, and other wood paneling around the house untouched. I had that problem in my townhouse. I had to paint everything to remove that 80ish wood look.

Kerryann

5 Year Member
West Bloomfield MI
Re: RE: Pretend chat 2

RosieRedfoot said:
My main debate is to paint or not to paint the wood panels in the living room... I feel they darken the room and seeing as we want to put in something like koa or tigerwood hardwood, it seems like it's an awful lot of wood and dark. Plus we have dark brown leather couches.

Yay or nay?

Here's an image of someone else's wood wainscoting fix.

Before:

After:

Those are the only wood trim I'd paint but I'd leave the top word since they tie into the window and door frames. They would end up looking like textured panels.

RosieRedfoot said:
They suggest if wanting lighter wood to paint it since staining it requires hours upon hours of stripping and sanding.

I wasn't saying I'd paint the top wall part dark. Was just one of the few wood wainscoting pictures I saw.

Crazy... 80's style to modern-ish. Not sure if I'd paint the cabinets or what. Too many decisions! Lol

I think they'd look pretty white but wait until you change the appliances. It may change the look.
I want my cabinets painted white but Mike says no. Your counter tops are so pretty so I'd be careful with the cabinets because if you cause an issue it could be really bad. We actually decided not to buy a house because the home owners had tried to make the cabinets look like they were maple and we thought we'd have to rip out the cabinets to fix it. They used a textured paint.
If I ever get to paint mine I'd have it professionally done even though I normally do all of my own painting.

RosieRedfoot

5 Year Member
Columbia, SC
Well sanding cures most cabinet issues if it's real wood underneath. My bf is also against painting wood but said I could if I really wanted to.

pugsandkids

10 Year Member!
Wow, I'm so behind!
House news is fantastic, I'm so excited for you :)

It's been a long, long week! We've had a car breakdown, stomach flu, and a vehicle stolen...Since last Saturday! My beacon of hope was going to the Ducks game today, but hubby is completely wiped out and I'm trying to let him sleep. I'd go without him, but now we are a vehicle short :( Hoping he'll wake up ready to party!

Oh, and more Shingles, but I got on an antiviral right away this time. Huge difference :)

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
We got some good news on Friday, our patient advocate found us new funding for our co-pay on Jeff's chemo pills. They are paying the $1,300 and we only have to pay $100 each month. Of course, this only covers for six months and then we have to find another source. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.