pretend chat

Status
Not open for further replies.

CtTortoiseMom

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
CT
Good morning everyone!! Tyler that is a cute pic of Tiago!

I met the love of my life yesterday!! I was picking up my dog from the groomers and I came face to face with a 200 pound fawn Great Dane named General. He was so sweet and awesome!! They were boarding him because someone had given him up. I almost adopted him on the spot but he got excited and jumped up on me knocking me down. Which was funny and fine but it wouldn't be if he did it to one of the kids and they were hurt. I am just going to stick with my plan of getting one as a puppy and training it. But, I really want General.....

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Not to influence you one way or the other, but I am pretty sure general could be trained.

CtTortoiseMom

5 Year Member
CT
dmmj said:
Not to influence you one way or the other, but I am pretty sure general could be trained.
That is a great point and one that I thought of. Here is my con list re: General: he was almost two years old and with such a short life span I don't want to lose any time. Also, he could be trained but in the meantime he could inadvertently hurt one of the kids because of his sheer size and bad habits of leaning and jumping up and hitting. A puppy would learn the correct conduct while growing so that once it was an adult those bad habits would be a non-issue. I am still thinking about it. I really felt like we were meant to meet.

dmmj

10 Year Member!
CA
Again not to put any pressure ( I think I am doing a horrible job at it though) talk to tom (forum member) he is a dog trainer and see what he has to say.

CtTortoiseMom

5 Year Member
CT
dmmj said:
Again not to put any pressure ( I think I am doing a horrible job at it though) talk to tom (forum member) he is a dog trainer and see what he has to say.

I talked to him (Tom) on the phone yesterday, he is just the sweetest guy!!! Another problem is Rob said no, he wants one as a puppy.

tyler0912 said:
CtTortoiseMom said:
Good morning everyone!! Tyler that is a cute pic of Tiago!

Thankyou...

CtTortoiseMom said:
I met the love of my life yesterday!!

Mom....i don't recall us meeting yesterday? ;)
Haha! If that was you I am the one you knocked over and then licked my face:).

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
CtTortoiseMom said:
dmmj said:
That is a great point and one that I thought of. Here is my con list re: General: he was almost two years old and with such a short life span I don't want to lose any time. Also, he could be trained but in the meantime he could inadvertently hurt one of the kids because of his sheer size and bad habits of leaning and jumping up and hitting. A puppy would learn the correct conduct while growing so that once it was an adult those bad habits would be a non-issue. I am still thinking about it. I really felt like we were meant to meet.

Add to it that General is here and in the now. He needs the kind of loving home you could give him. That short life span your talking about, think of it from his side, he is losing those precious days when he could be a part of a family to days being spent in a cage wondering what he did wrong and why he was left behind. :(

Think also of that cute not so little puppy and how much it will pee and crap in the house (until he is broken). Think of all the chewing he will get done. Think of all the puppy mischievousness and fun, that in reality is mass destruction. Think of how in his excitement he may still be knocking the kids down. Think how he may end up for some sad reason, not even living to be those 2 years your worried about missing already with General. Life comes with no guarantees.

There was a reason for meeting "the love of your life".

stephiiberrybean

5 Year Member
Nottingham, U.K
What Jacqui said :)

Id always pick a "rescue" over a puppy! No questions asked!
I wish I could have another Dane! Don't think I could be without my Bedlingtons though :)

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Puppies are cute and all, but me, I have this thing for old dogs... the mature puppy. :D

CtTortoiseMom

5 Year Member
CT
Jacqui said:
Puppies are cute and all, but me, I have this thing for old dogs... the mature puppy. :D

Everything you said has been rolling around in my head since yesterday. He happens to be staying on the very same campus where my dog trainer works and where Sid goes to the vet and where Reagan gets groomed!! I really feel we were meant to meet. I think I am going to call my trainer and ask if she has seen him and what she thinks. I also want to know how he did in his aggression testing and I need to be able to start training him asap. My biggest concern is that he weighs almost 100 pound more than me and stands almost as tall as me. If he went after my sons dirty diaper or food one of the kids were eating I need to be able to stop him before he accidentally hurts one of them. I wanted a female because they do not get as big as the males and a puppy so that my kids and Basset could assert dominance and show her where she belongs in our pack. I wanted to raise her and train her from a puppy so she doesn't throw her weight around to get what she want's like general does. See how I go back and forth! It is terrible!!!
You should also know that if all goes well we were supposed to get a 9 week girl puppy Dane from a breeder on 12/10. She is a hold back because she has too much white on her belly to be shown in dog show's so the people did not want her!! Ludicrous!!! So I don't want her to lose her home either!
Welcome to my brain it's scary in here!!

tyler0912

5 Year Member
Blackburn, U.K.
Hey all,

My ExoTerra Fogger just came! :) Works great....
Just waiting for my waterfall now and the cage on tuesday and my dad said i don't need to wait for xmas i can have it as soon as it comes....
SO EXCITED!!

dmmj

10 Year Member!
CA
that's great tyler, now tiago does not have to wait either.

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
CtTortoiseMom said:
So I don't want her to lose her home either!
Welcome to my brain it's scary in here!!

You make good points. However, especially at Christmas, that Dane puppy will be snatched up quickly, not so the older dog. Then there is always get both of them. :p :D

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
It was kinda neat today, as I was driving into town. Along the roadside on top of the telephone poles, I often see this pair of hawks each on it's own pole. As I was getting near to them today, as if on cue they took off with what was almost perfect synchronized flight. Was almost magical to watch.

CtTortoiseMom

5 Year Member
CT
Jacqui said:
It was kinda neat today, as I was driving into town. Along the roadside on top of the telephone poles, I often see this pair of hawks each on it's own pole. As I was getting near to them today, as if on cue they took off with what was almost perfect synchronized flight. Was almost magical to watch.
I think watching birds fly especially when they are synchronized is incredible. Rob and I love to hike along a steep trail that takes us to a cliff where there are dozens of turkey vultures flying over head and we can see them dive straight towards the ground at high speeds and then fly straight up just as fast with their catch (usually a cute field mouse :()

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
CtTortoiseMom said:
I think watching birds fly especially when they are synchronized is incredible. Rob and I love to hike along a steep trail that takes us to a cliff where there are dozens of turkey vultures flying over head and we can see them dive straight towards the ground at high speeds and then fly straight up just as fast with their catch (usually a cute field mouse :()

That sounds neat. Our vultures around here only go for the roadkill. Must have been like two years ago, I was coming home on a cool rainy day, where the sun was just finally working it's magic. As I got to this old farmstead, which had the old fashioned wooden fence posts around the house and then also along the road, on top of what seemed like every post was a vulture. They had their wings outstretch to catch the warming rays of the sun. It was a neat, one of those "darn where is a camera when ya need it" moments. It also felt just a little on the eery side.

cherylim said:
Evening all!

I've given myself a night off! Woo! :)

Alright a night off!! So do you have plans for it?

cherylim

5 Year Member
Leyland, UK
Jacqui said:

Nope! I plan to sit here and do nothing. I need to be up at 6.30am to drive Ian to the train station, and I'll be working all weekend, so tonight is rest night.

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
cherylim said:
Jacqui said:

Nope! I plan to sit here and do nothing. I need to be up at 6.30am to drive Ian to the train station, and I'll be working all weekend, so tonight is rest night.

No watching TV or a movie? No coming on here and making us laugh? No reading a book? Nothing?

Status
Not open for further replies.