pyramiding?

Location (City and/or State)
kansas
ive had comments about her inside enclosure being too wet, the last picture was a day that I had soaked the coco fiber soil, I've had comments she was too dark because she doesn't get sun, I explained humidity levels are simply too low for a one year old, but honestly I'm no expert I appreciate any advice! (please be nice)

Attachments

• IMG_20230531_123658_722.jpg
    IMG_20230531_123658_722.jpg
    207.4 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_20230531_123739_028.jpg
    IMG_20230531_123739_028.jpg
    172.4 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_20230521_114237_571.jpg
    IMG_20230521_114237_571.jpg
    106.9 KB · Views: 11

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
ive had comments about her inside enclosure being too wet, the last picture was a day that I had soaked the coco fiber soil, I've had comments she was too dark because she doesn't get sun, I explained humidity levels are simply too low for a one year old, but honestly I'm no expert I appreciate any advice! (please be nice)
Hello and welcome.

I'm not sure if you are asking a question, but your tortoise look good.

You are correct that dry conditions are not good for smaller ones. Bad tortoise care info abounds out in the world from almost every source, but you have somehow figured out some of the good info.

It is normal for healthy new growth to come in darker and also normal for them to lighten up in color as they get older and bigger.

Take a look at this thread, and look for the sulcata care sheet near the bottom to compare to your routine. Questions ad conversation are welcome.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Wet substrate needs to be avoided. But high humidity is needed for pyramiding and other issues in young Sulcata
Actually wet substrate is fine for sulcata and leopards. They don't get shell rot like RF. However, wet substrate does not make high humidity without the proper temps. Also it doesn't need to be wet to get the humidity needed, but damp.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Yes your sully looks slightly pyramided, but could be the angle of the pics. Either way, it's so slight, that if you keep the humidity up and don't use and of the spot bulbs or mvb you will never notice it once it's bigger.

kansas
Hello and welcome.

I'm not sure if you are asking a question, but your tortoise look good.

You are correct that dry conditions are not good for smaller ones. Bad tortoise care info abounds out in the world from almost every source, but you have somehow figured out some of the good info.

It is normal for healthy new growth to come in darker and also normal for them to lighten up in color as they get older and bigger.

Take a look at this thread, and look for the sulcata care sheet near the bottom to compare to your routine. Questions ad conversation are welcome.
yes I was asking a question thank you! I gathered my info from this hear forum I just never decided to create an account and simply read off of you guys on what could be done! thank you for the help!

kansas
Yes your sully looks slightly pyramided, but could be the angle of the pics. Either way, it's so slight, that if you keep the humidity up and don't use and of the spot bulbs or mvb you will never notice it once it's bigger.
oh thank goodness, I noticed slight pyramiding and got worried it could spiral, thank you for helping me identify it!