Pyramiding

Status
Not open for further replies.

-EJ

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Georgia
not to sound condescending... somebodys been doing their reading/research.

Madkins007 said:
Speaking of the Vinkes, Red-foots, and the Chaco area of South America, there are two good articles you can download-
- Turtle and tortoise fauna of the central Chaco of Paraguay, (http://www.chelidae.com/pdf/vinke2001.pdf) and
- An Unusual Survival Strategy of the Red-Footed Tortoise Geochelone carbonaria in the Chaco Boreal of Paraguay (which I cannot seem to find online anymore)

According to Vinke, the Gran Chaco is a big area- 800,000 km2. Its climate is warm but drops to freezing in the winter, although frost is rare and it does not snow. Big temp fluctuations in the day, lots of rain in some months and almost none in others, and like the American prairies, it can deluge in one area while being bone dry just miles away. The area includes near desert, grasslands, palm savannahs, thorn forest, marshes, sub-tropical rain forest.

Here is a quote from the first article:
"The Red-footed Tortoise mainly inhabits dry forests in Paraguay. It also lives in smaller embedded savannas. In all the preferred biotopes appear to be slightly damper and therefore a little greener than those of Geochelone chilensis, the forests are higher and less thorny. These tortoises like to be near temporary riverbeds or at places with a lower level where rainwater accumulates over a long period of time."

Like we've said in many places in many ways- microhabitats rule!

eminart

10 Year Member!
So if humidity has now been determined to be one of, if not the main cause of pyramiding, then how much humidity do I need? I have an egyptian tortoise that supposedly thrives in very low humidity. He's now about 2 1/2 years old and there is a little bit of pyramiding, nothing excessive, but not totally smooth either.

Dan, do you have an answer for this?

-EJ

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Georgia
Egyptians come from an area called a 'fog desert'. It is close to the water and develops fog when the sun goes down. Egyptians also burry down at the base of plants when they are not active in addition to using animal burrows.

eminart said:
So if humidity has now been determined to be one of, if not the main cause of pyramiding, then how much humidity do I need? I have an egyptian tortoise that supposedly thrives in very low humidity. He's now about 2 1/2 years old and there is a little bit of pyramiding, nothing excessive, but not totally smooth either.

Dan, do you have an answer for this?

M

Marifel12

Can I know how come does their sulcatas will only have the white goo (urates) when they toss them a few cantaloupes? I don't even have enough idea about this one. In that sense, I am interested to know more about it.

-EJ

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Georgia
Check out the oxalic acid content of cantaloupes.

Marifel12 said:
Can I know how come does their sulcatas will only have the white goo (urates) when they toss them a few cantaloupes? I don't even have enough idea about this one. In that sense, I am interested to know more about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.