Really long nails

I have a Russian tortoise named Cody, and I have both an outside and inside enclosure for her. For a while now, her nails have been really long. To prevent this, I put some flat rocks in both of her habitats, but nothing seems to work. She gets a lot of exercise outside because her cage is fairly large, and she seems to not mind how long her nails are because she burrows a lot. Should I do anything else to keep her nails a bit shorter?
Thanks

johnandjade

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
scotland
hi there, you can trim them with nail clippers I believe. however... be careful not to cut to short as they will bleed if you cut too short. if you can post up some pics and someone with more experience can advise:)

johnsonnboswell

5 Year Member
They are not supposed to have short nails. Please post a picture so we can see if they are indeed overgrown or normal length.

Do not use flat nail clippers. The curved ones sold for birds or cats are good. Still, I wouldn't trim unless they're much too long, and never clip them short. Avoid the quick.

They are not supposed to have short nails. Please post a picture so we can see if they are indeed overgrown or normal length.

Do not use flat nail clippers. The curved ones sold for birds or cats are good. Still, I wouldn't trim unless they're much too long, and never clip them short. Avoid the quick.
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1439929124.574364.jpg
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1439929158.573821.jpg
Here is her back left leg and front right leg

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
CA
maybe a bit to lon but nothing too serious. You can trim them with a nail clipper a nail file or a dremel if you want to.