MIKELOH

Location (City and/or State)
AZ
Hi im new here. I just got a sulcata baby about three weeks ago. When picking the breeder showed me a few to choose from. I picked the roundest one. Now just for my wanting to know, why are some hatchlings more round on top vs flatter tortoises. Im not talking about the scutes or pyramids. I mean the shell in general some are more rounded on top. Is it because they are fat?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi, and welcome! I don't know the answer, but I'm guessing it's just the difference between tortoises, sort of like how some people are tall, some are short. Some tortoises have a more rounded carapace and some a little flatter. As a tortoise gets older and has some size on him, a flatter carapace might indicate metabolic bone disease, but you wouldn't be seeing that in hatchlings.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hi im new here. I just got a sulcata baby about three weeks ago. When picking the breeder showed me a few to choose from. I picked the roundest one. Now just for my wanting to know, why are some hatchlings more round on top vs flatter tortoises. Im not talking about the scutes or pyramids. I mean the shell in general some are more rounded on top. Is it because they are fat?
Most breeders don't start them correctly. They keep them too cool, outside too much, and not hydrated. All of mine are started optimally, and they are all uniform.

Most people, including almost all of the people breeding and selling them, do not understand how to properly start and raise babies. This is NOT a desert species. They need warm humid monsoon type conditions, damp substrate, and daily soaks.

Here is the correct care info for you:

Questions are welcome.

MIKELOH

AZ
Hi, and welcome! I don't know the answer, but I'm guessing it's just the difference between tortoises, sort of like how some people are tall, some are short. Some tortoises have a more rounded carapace and some a little flatter. As a tortoise gets older and has some size on him, a flatter carapace might indicate metabolic bone disease, but you wouldn't be seeing that in hatchlings.
I figured, i was just wondering if maybe it ment id have a bigger tortoise. Kind of like puppies and paws. They say with puppies big paws mean it’ll grow big. Thanks for the help.