Russian Tortoise Shell

Jennifer Burkett

My son has a female and male Russian tortoise. The shell of the female has been changing. Is this normal. We just got him the male about a month ago, and his sweet female was a rescue adoption from another individual.

Attachments

• 0905151546a.jpg
    0905151546a.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 36
  • 0905151546b.jpg
    0905151546b.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 35

johnsonnboswell

5 Year Member
Looks like growth lines to me. Anyone else?

That substrate needs to be replaced with something that holds moisture. Coconut coir is a good choice. No wood chips are okay, and cedar (Is that cedar?) is particularly bad.

Don't you hate it when you think you have a problem but you don't have the one you thought?

It's great that you're rescuing RTs. You may find that a pair just doesn't work. Bullying can be very subtle, so watch for one growing more than the other, one eating less or being less active.

If you get more, make sure they're female, and quarantine before you introduce them.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
CA
survey says growth rings! the tortoise is growing good job

Jennifer Burkett

Thanks for the replay, we have a huge water container that they get into regularly. We had an old wood coffee table that We boarded around to make their home. It gives them plenty of walking around room. There seems to be no aggression from either of them. Serinity that's our female she is the sweetest thing and she loves to have her head rubbed and to be held, it's crazy cause she never shys away at all. Steven he is our male, he is more cautious and doesn't like being handled much. I'll check into getting the coconut coir as well. Thanks so much for all the information. Its very appreciated. :)