Shell Rot??

RV's mom

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Phoenix, arizona
Will the athlete's foot cream treatment also apply to RES? I've been gone 3.5 of the last 4 months, came home and I'm concerned for my RES. He lives in a kiddie pool, plenty of sun (no basking rock - he somehow uses it to jump the wall), active and good appetite. His shell seems soft in places and the scutes flaking off.

RV on the other hand is doing fine.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Will this also apply to RES? I've been gone 3.5 of the last 4 months, came home and I'm concerned for my RES. He lives in a kiddie pool, plenty of sun (no basking rock - he somehow uses it to jump the wall), active and good appetite. His shell seems soft in places and the scutes flaking off.

That doesn't sound like simple fungus.
Can you take a photo or two of the animal?

RV's mom

10 Year Member!
Phoenix, arizona
Tomorrow with daylight. His pool was scummy, so I cleaned it up; and his shell is looking mossy. When I started to clean his shell , the scutes began moving upward, off the shell The sun was going down so I couldn't investigate further. Thank you for your reply.

Last edited:

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
Will this also apply to RES? I've been gone 3.5 of the last 4 months, came home and I'm concerned for my RES. He lives in a kiddie pool, plenty of sun (no basking rock - he somehow uses it to jump the wall), active and good appetite. His shell seems soft in places and the scutes flaking off.

If you don't have anywhere for your red ear to bask that's the problem. It's very important they have somewhere to get out of the water and completely dry themselves off.

aqualungs

Perry, OH
If you don't have anywhere for your red ear to bask that's the problem. It's very important they have somewhere to get out of the water and completely dry themselves off.

Agreed. They need to dry off. Did someone also change out his kiddie pool water occasionally? That’s long time to be living same stagnant water.

RV's mom

10 Year Member!
Phoenix, arizona
While I was in Michigan with my father, the pool had been changed frequently. He is a scuzzy guy tho, and his scutes are shedding off. I need to find a different basking rock. The little Houdini has twice gotten out, once for the entire winter; we thought we'd lost him.

Pastel Tortie

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
North Florida
Do have pictures of the enclosure posted anywhere? Enough of us have had turtles try or manage to escape from enclosures, perhaps we can troubleshoot or offer suggestions for "enhanced" turtle containment! :D