Sick baby Leopard

Spaz

Hello all. I am new to the forum. I have a hatchling leopard, born in late January that is not doing well at all. Just stays camped out under the heat lamp. He has not really opened his eyes unless soaking and has become very lethargic over the last few weeks. By reading a lot of these forum posts already, I have been enlightened and educated on MY errors in caring for this little guy/gal. To date I have found the temps to be all off, and that I lacked a humid hide ( had one but tortoise kept trying to climb it and getting stuck on his back, so I removed it. I will be reinstalling one tomorrow). I have since (over the last week) improved the heat and replaced the seemingly old uv bulb. I also added calcium powder to his diet of purely romaine lettuce (I know, but its all the little bugger will eat). For the last few days, I noticed a very good turn around in activity and appetite. Today it seems I'm back to square one. Cant or wont open eyes and no appetite and looks terribly dehydrated. He pigged out yesterday and drank from his water source. I soak and sun bathe him daily, sometimes twice even, for at least 20 minutes. If he is being active, I let him roam around tasting the lawn. He never eats it though. No activity today. And no appetite. Yesterday I saw him urinate. I thought it odd and a little alarming. It was a lot! I thought he is either hydrated well or in big trouble. It seems as if the heat lamps are just drying him out. Suggestions? Or am I too late.

Heather H

Location (City and/or State)
N.E. ohio
What's your overall humidity? Can you post pictures? Welcome this is a great place.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
No way to know if you are too late, but noting but romaine for four months is pretty bad. Give him the best care you can and hope for the best. Go get some carrot or yam baby food and mix a jar of that into his soaks every day for a while. Sometimes that can help.

Here is the right way to care for them:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/how-to-raise-a-healthy-sulcata-or-leopard-version-2-0.78361/
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/

Here are some feeding suggestions, just skip all the stuff about grass.
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/for-those-who-have-a-young-sulcata.76744/

Spaz

During the day, I struggle to keep it around 50. I mist the substrate and Spaz CONSTANTLY throughout the day taking care not to soak it. At night without the heat lamp it will get up to 80. I'm also struggling to keep it 80 degrees at night. The infrared bulb I have is too directional and does not flood the area with warmth. I'll work on posting pics.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Infrared bulbs are no good. They need it dark at night, but still warm. You need a CHE set on a thermostat.

Spaz

Ok. what is a CHE? I just got done looking at the link for proper enclosures. Mine is an open top large Tupperware container. Looks like I got some work to do tomorrow.

Spaz

I forgot to mention I do use Mazuri tortoise chow. I soak it, crush it and sprinkle onto the romaine. I went to the farmers market today to find alternative foods and could only find fresh kale and spring mix with no spinach.

Spaz

Tom. I will build an enclosure like the one in your pics and hang my lights in it. I saw pics of the che you spoke of. What wattage do you think I should start with. I imagine they weren't designed to be closed in. Should I just hang it from the ceiling like the lights? Also, Should I have a screen over it or the heat lamp? I know it's gonna get pretty hot in there. Or do I just control the temp with weaker bulbs if necessary. Don't mean to ramble on, but if this were a drag racing or wood working forum, I would be one of the experts! Thanks.

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Hello and a very warm welcome to Tortoise Forum to you and your poorly little tortoise.
Really hope this all works out.
Humidity and heat are best kept in with a covered enclosure, especially for babies.
Not sure about the wattage,but I reckon 60W should be a good start. Hopefully someone with more experience will chime in soon.

ShannonC

South Carolina
If you get a CHE and get a thermostat to go with it, you can get the higher wattage and control the temp with the thermostat.......it's better to have the extra wattage if needed than to buy one that won't heat your space.

Spaz

Thanks everyone. Will give it a go today. I'll keep ya posted. And probably have a question or two more. Would you believe I read the whole book on how to care for these things. Someone needs to write a new one specifically about raising hatchlings.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi, and welcome to the Forum!

If you can figure out a way to provide the required heat, but not have the light shining down all the time on your baby, it might help. Set up some plants, either fake or real, so he still has the heat, but there's lots of shade. Soak him daily for at least 15 minutes.

The suggestion Tom made about adding Gerber strained carrots or squash to the soaking water was a good one. The baby will absorb some of the vitamin A from the baby food and it helps to get the eyes open. He won't eat unless his eyes are open.

Spaz

Alright. I have been pretty busy today. Can't tell if I attached the images correctly, but the new enclosure is far better than the old. How did I do Tom? Humidity is steady at or around 75% and temperature at or around 90-95. I need a thermostat tho. Got a little on the hot side. Spaz did not seem to drink any of the carrot bath at all. This makes day 2 with no appetite. We will see what tomorrow brings. Fingers crossed.

spaz.jpg spaz2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

cmacusa3

5 Year Member
Bixby
He may not drink it but it will be absorbed through his skin. This looks great! Get a few pics of the inside and I think you will get a few other pointers.

Momof4

10 Year Member!
San Diego
You have been busy!! Your enclosure looks nice but can you post them in full size instead of thumbnail? My old eyes want to see more.
Just a tip, if you want to alert someone put an @ in front of their name! @Tom.

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
You have been busy!! Your enclosure looks nice but can you post them in full size instead of thumbnail? My old eyes want to see more.
Just a tip, if you want to alert someone put an @ in front of their name! @Tom.
Yeah, me too.
I'm squinting at these, but I can't really make much out.
My fingers and toes are crossed too.

mangococonut

souther california
Hi,
Can you tell me where you purchased your habitat - I would love to get one and I think it would be so much better for my little one. Thank you!

Spaz

@mangococonut @Tidgy's Dad @Momof4 . I built it yesterday out of leftover materials I had laying around. I'm willing to bet there is a cabinet shop around you that could make one for not too much. I will try better pics later. My computer was not cooperating at all yesterday. Might all be for nothing. Spaz has hardly moved, if at all, on his own. Could barely open his eyes while soaking. Might be time for a veterinarian intervention (again).