Sick baby Leopard

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
That looks great. What is in the three light hoods?

I prefer terra cotta saucers for water for babies, but your bowl doesn't look too bad in comparison so some.

I'd remove the fern. They are toxic. All of my tortoises sample anything I put in their enclosure including fake plants or toxic plants.

Spaz

@Tom . The three light hoods ( from left to right ) are the basking light, the uv light, and the CHE is in the middle. I don't have a thermostat yet as nobody in town stocks them. So, I have been turning the heater off and on as needed. The 72 watt basking bulb will only keep it around 85 degrees. I'm trying to keep it around 90 degrees with 75% humidity. Are those numbers sufficient? Should I put him in the hide? The water dish is buried down in the substrate. I've seen him go in and out of it and drink from it as well. He has sampled the fern before, but to his dismay, discovered it is plastic. At this point, these items don't really matter. He has not moved in two days. I can entice him to wiggle around and open his eyes ( barely ) during a soak, but otherwise just flops down wherever I put him. He was in this state a week and a half ago. Vet gave him antibiotic shot, vitamin shot and subcutaneous fluids. After a day or so really perked up a bit. Walking around and pigging out. Now back to lethargy. Going to the LSU school of vet med tomorrow. If they can't help him......

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
All looks pretty good to me.
The problem is clearly with poor Spaz.
All our best wishes go with you both for tomorow.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
@Tom . The three light hoods ( from left to right ) are the basking light, the uv light, and the CHE is in the middle. I don't have a thermostat yet as nobody in town stocks them. So, I have been turning the heater off and on as needed. The 72 watt basking bulb will only keep it around 85 degrees. I'm trying to keep it around 90 degrees with 75% humidity. Are those numbers sufficient? Should I put him in the hide? The water dish is buried down in the substrate. I've seen him go in and out of it and drink from it as well. He has sampled the fern before, but to his dismay, discovered it is plastic. At this point, these items don't really matter. He has not moved in two days. I can entice him to wiggle around and open his eyes ( barely ) during a soak, but otherwise just flops down wherever I put him. He was in this state a week and a half ago. Vet gave him antibiotic shot, vitamin shot and subcutaneous fluids. After a day or so really perked up a bit. Walking around and pigging out. Now back to lethargy. Going to the LSU school of vet med tomorrow. If they can't help him......

Is your UV light a coil type? This could be the issue. Those can sometimes burn their eyes and when their eyes are burnt it hurts, so they just lay there.

I prefer basking temp around 95-100.

What do you do with the CHE at night? What is the overnight low?

Forgive me if I'm forgetting details, but work has been crazy and some of the forum posts are blending together in my addled brain right now. How was this baby started in its first few weeks and months?

Have you read this one already: http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/

Spaz

I use a reptosun 10.0. I guess it is a coil type even tho it doesn't look like a spring. Looks more like a 1/2 inch rod bent in half. After some more reading on here today, I have decided to just not use it at all. I have been sunbathing him twice daily while soaking at the same time for a minimum of 20 minutes. So he is getting 40 minutes a day of direct sunlight. I'm careful not to let him get too hot. As far as how he was handled before I got him is unknown. But I will say he came to me with a full set up. Which was all wrong for a hatchling. I know that now. It was an open shallow tote that had two lamps on it. One housed a 40 watt bulb for basking (that only got up to about 85) and the other had an obviously old coil type uv bulb. So I first upped the wattage to 72 and replaced the uv since I've read they get old. But today I turned it off entirely. My overnight temp only got as low as 80 degrees this morning. Since I do not yet have a thermostat, I put the infrared incandescent bulb in the basking lamp. I placed the tort on the dark side of the fern so the light would not bother him. Seems to have worked. I did also notice that I only needed the heater to get things goin. After everything heats up, the basking light will keep the overall temps above 90. Penny for your thoughts....

Spaz

@Tom . I forgot to tag you in that last thread with the answers to your questions.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Sounds to me like you've got things mostly right now. This may boil down to the care this baby received from the breeder. Unfortunately we can't change the past, so I would just keep doing everything "right" and hope for the best.

Spaz

Spaz is at the LSU school of vet medicine. I brought him and his enclosure today. He will be spending 3-4 days being nursed back to health. They seem to think he is deficient of a particular vitamin or two. Or three. Who knows. But he is in the best hands available. GEAUX TIGERS.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Wishing your poor little tort well.

Spaz

With a heavy heart, I am reporting that Spaz did not survive. He was undergoing a surgery to install a feeding tube to introduce fluids when he passed. They believe his G.I. tract was clogged or impacted. He was terribly malnourished. I am sad but relieved as he was probably suffering a slow painful death. I don't think he was ever right from the start. But I had no control over his conditions then and was given very poor care instructions when I did. Please use this as an example for people buying or planning to buy from unknown breeders. And furthermore, do your research. And by research, I mean, ask @Tom . All of the literature online and what was in the book I purchased for care instructions is wrong. It is impossible to create the correct conditions in an open top container as they all say to do.

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
And so we all learn.
Tragic circumstances, but breeders must be carefully selected. We must all help to put the cowboys out of business, or change their ways.
i am so very sorry for your loss, I was so rooting for Spaz.
You did your best, but it was too late after his bad start to life and the misinformation you had.
I'm very upset, can't imagine how you must be feeling.
Sympathies.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Sorry to hear this. We were all hoping for a better outcome.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
So very sorry for your loss, but glad you are taking comfort in the fact he is no longer suffering - but still a sad time though.

Momof4

10 Year Member!
San Diego
((Hugs)). I'm so sorry!! I was impressed with your new enclosure you built to give your little one the best care!

I hope you'll heal soon and find another Leo to love.