Sick Cherryhead? :(

emilyk

Hi all, first time poster here. I have a ~3 year old baby cherryhead, who normally seems happy and healthy. But tonight I heard him wheezing, and when I checked on him I found a strange sort of bubbly mucus around his mouth and nostrils. He had also just pooped quite a lot, not sure if the two are related. He was just finishing eating some raspberries (his favorite!) and there were raspberry bits mixed in with the bubbles. I bathed him and soaked him for a bit, and now he’s basking under his heat lamp. He is walking around and seems alert, but he did seem to wheeze/gurgle weirdly a second time, and I’ve never seen those bubbles/possible mucus (it was slimy, idk what it was) before, so I’m really concerned. Any thoughts or advice is greatly appreciated. Thank you!!

rmn813

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Pensacola, FL
respiratory infection. get him into vet asap. the vet will prescribe some very helpful medication based on the cherryhead's. keep his temps up a little warmer than usual. if administered correctly, the infection should be cleared out in a week.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
respiratory infection. get him into vet asap. the vet will prescribe some very helpful medication based on the cherryhead's. keep his temps up a little warmer than usual. if administered correctly, the infection should be cleared out in a week.
AND, FIRSTLY....
Make sure you find a vet that actually has successfully treated tortoises before.
So many vets are just guessing on your animal because they really only understand small mammals.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
There are a couple things that cause that mucous around the mouth - too hot, respiratory infection, poisoning - I agree that this tortoise should be taken to a qualified tortoise vet as soon as you're able.