Sick Tortoise?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bill545

5 Year Member
Hey all, just joined this to get some help. I know very little about tortoise's but this seemed like the spot to check.

I live in south carolina and stepped outside to find a little tortoise sitting on my back porch (looks as if he'd been tryng to get in). It's cold so I brought him in until it warms up again this weekend but looking at his underside I'm worried he/she is sick.

Lots of wierd craters and holes on the underside, one is very narrow but very deep. heres a few pictures attached. Please let me know if theres anything I can do for the little guy.

Attachments

• Tortoise 1.jpg
    Tortoise 1.jpg
    222.2 KB · Views: 36
  • Toroise 2.jpg
    Toroise 2.jpg
    370.5 KB · Views: 32
  • Tortoise 3.jpg
    Tortoise 3.jpg
    214.5 KB · Views: 31

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
USA
Welcome to the forum Bill :)

You have found an Eastern box turtle, Terrapene carolina carolina. Very much native to your area, so yes best to let him back go this weekend. Everything that has happened to his shell has healed up so nothing to do for him. It looks like he might have been in a brush fire at some point in time in his life and thats whats caused the problems with his carapace (top shell) and plastron (bottom shell).

Danny

Bill545

5 Year Member
Ah thanks!

I was worried maybe he had a parasite or some disease eating at him (like I said, I know very little), glad to hear it looks as if it's and old healed injury! Poor little guy.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Bill:

What a nice person you are...to find a turtle then look around the 'net to try to find how you can help the turtle. Box turtles are probably getting ready to hibernate right now, so don't worry about feeding this guy. And don't try to warm him up. Just let nature take its course. Try to put him near the same place where you found him (because they're territorial).

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
It's times like this I wish these guys could talk. What stories a boxie that old could tell us. I hope you see him again. What a nice thing you did for him. And....welcome!

Status
Not open for further replies.