*sigh* What a Relief It Is!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
A Land Far Away...
Today finally, I could breathe a slight breath of relief. With any new animal, seeing them eat for the first time is a monumental occasion to me. With the hatching of these two Homes, I have been eagerly awaiting them passing this stage in their growth.

Gobbler, the smaller one has surprised me with what appeared to perhaps be immediate eating. I caught him the first day, with a strand of sphagnum moss hanging from his beak. With the egg tooth in place, I gave credit to it simply snagging it, rather then him trying to eat it. The next day, I thought I saw him try to eat a bit of mushroom. By the fourth day, I knew for sure that he was eating solid foods. Since Kristina needs pictures to prove that anything has happened :rolleyes::D, they are at the bottom of this post.

Turkey continued to worry me on several levels. He was the biggest and most active, plus his egg sack was more absorbed of the two. Whenever I offered food, Turkey ignored it. While he may have possibly gotten some plant matter from his enclosure with it's living plants in it, I had saw no signs of that having happened. He also worried me, because his shell is softer then his smaller siblings.

Today, I offered some ripe banana. Seriously, what hingeback in it's right mind ignores banana? Atleast that was what I was telling myself. Guess what? Tho sorry Kristina, there are no pictures, Turkey has finally been seen eating solid food! What a relief. Now we can move on to be concerned with the softness of his shell.... :(

After their soak, I placed some cooked sweet potato infront of them both. Turkey is the one closest to you.
001.jpg

While Turkey walked away from the food, Gobbler climbed on top of it trying to find a tasty spot.
004.jpg

Savoring his first bite. He even managed to get teeny tiny traces of the food on his face.
005.jpg

"I think I will try another sample of that!"
007.jpg

My camera does not do closeup shots well, so I thought I would try taking Gobbler out of the dish and feed him on a plate, maybe then I can get a picture of him eating.
033.jpg

Well that didn't work either. :D

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
RE: *sigh* What a Releif It Is!

Nice pics, nice tortoises. Congrats

M

Maggie Cummings

For a soft shell get Calcionate from the Vet. It's a really sweet liquid and works really well...

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA

I think its so interesting that the forest tortoise babies look so much alike. If you put my little Manouria down next to your hingies, they would look identical.

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...

dmmj said:
Nice pics, nice tortoises. Congrats

Thanks David! I am beginning to think I am too old for this. Every time I walk by I check on these guys. The stress may just be too much. :D

maggie3fan said:
For a soft shell get Calcionate from the Vet. It's a really sweet liquid and works really well...

:D I doubt any of my local Vets even have it. I may look into it tho.;)

emysemys said:
I think its so interesting that the forest tortoise babies look so much alike. If you put my little Manouria down next to your hingies, they would look identical.

Don'tcha think that is because they all hide out in leaf liter and thus they all have a leafy look to them to better camouflage themselves?

CJSTorts

5 Year Member
Jacksonville,FL

They look great Jacqui! Congrats! Can hardly wait for more pics. :)

l0velesly

10 Year Member!
Lynnwood, WA

They are precious! I love their spiky shells. I also have the same plate as you :p

CtTortoiseMom

5 Year Member
CT

They are really cute and Turkey and Gobbler are cute names.

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...

CJSTorts said:
They look great Jacqui! Congrats! Can hardly wait for more pics. :)

Charlotte, soon your going to be having these same "fun" moments yourself, when your two start producing!

lushcious said:
They are precious! I love their spiky shells. I also have the same plate as you :p

When I got my first home, my Mother gave me a starter set for my first holiday meal I prepared. For a few years she added pieces. Since then, when ever my sister finds them on a garage sale she picks them up for me.:cool: I believe I now have a big enough set, I could feed my entire village on them. :D

Just for the record, however, this plate (actually saucer) is one of about four, which are not used for humans any more. I like the little lip, so it's one of my favorite things to reach for when weaning a baby kitten or feeding a hatchling tortoise. :D

CtTortoiseMom said:
They are really cute and Turkey and Gobbler are cute names.

The pictures do not do justice, they are so much cuter in person. Someday perhaps I will actually take a good picture of them. :D I thought their names were fitting due to the season and their personalities. :p :D Thank you!

Weldd

10 Year Member!

I was thinking the same thing. I was looking at pics of baby impressa a few minutes ago. They look nearly identical.

Congrats Jacqui!

emysemys said:

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan

They are so PRECIOUS Jacqui!

Have you ever heard of California Blackworms? I am thinking that maybe you should try treating these two like baby box turtles, and feed them accordingly. I agree that the spikiness of the shell is a kind of uniform camouflage for forest babies, and it stands to reason that they would find lots of bugs and creepies down in the leaf litter. I would also try some alfalfa sprouts or sprouts of any other seed you may have.

I would try putting them in a shallow bit of water and giving them some blackworms, bloodworms, small redworms, or isopods.

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...

Kristina said:

Have you ever heard of California Blackworms? I am thinking that maybe you should try treating these two like baby box turtles, and feed them accordingly. I agree that the spikiness of the shell is a kind of uniform camouflage for forest babies, and it stands to reason that they would find lots of bugs and creepies down in the leaf litter. I would also try some alfalfa sprouts or sprouts of any other seed you may have.

I would try putting them in a shallow bit of water and giving them some blackworms, bloodworms, small redworms, or isopods.

:D Actually the redworms were one of the first tries ( and a couple of times since) in water and out... they ignored them completely.

Benjamin

5 Year Member
zone 7b

Jacqui said:
Kristina said:

:D Actually the redworms were one of the first tries ( and a couple of times since) in water and out... they ignored them completely.
My homeana hatchling ate aquatic turtle pellets placed in his soaking container. He did eat small amounts of frozen bloodworms at times.
They look great, and I am glad they are feeding.

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...

Benjamin said:
My homeana hatchling ate aquatic turtle pellets placed in his soaking container. He did eat small amounts of frozen bloodworms at times.
They look great, and I am glad they are feeding.

I haven't tried any pelleted foods yet. I should look tho, I may still have some old bloodworms in the freezer, but I think I threw those out this summer...

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan

If you need some pellets, I have some semi-soft krill pellets that I could send you to tide you over. I bought like 5lbs of them at the beginning of the year - let me know.

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...

Kristina said:
If you need some pellets, I have some semi-soft krill pellets that I could send you to tide you over. I bought like 5lbs of them at the beginning of the year - let me know.

That would be generous of you. That way I would know with a pellet or three if they even look at them, before spending money on a container that would end up just sitting there. :rolleyes: Or atleast it would sit until I would think to feed it to the side neck or the RES group. :D

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
LOL, no problem ;) PM me your address. They are small in size, which is good for the babies, but my DBT and Reeves manage with them. Kinda neat to watch a DBT delicately pick up one little pellet at a time :)

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
I am really excited to try those pellets of yours Kristina. Why is it, that getting something new to try on my tortoises always makes me feel so giddy? :rolleyes:

Right now the two are soaking and they have a couple of red wigglers in with them. So far, neither one seems the least bit interested in them. :(

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
I feel more giddy getting new tortoises, lol, but I get you all the same ;) You should have them Monday.

Do you have a grocery store nearby that sells alfalfa sprouts? Mine usually carries them for salads.

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
I think I have saw them there, but of course with this faulty memory it could have been one of the stores in a bigger area, not my local one. I didn't think to look today during my stock up before the ice and snow shopping trip. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.